• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BigSteve

BigSteve

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

As the title suggests, I'm curious to know if larger electric pressure cookers would do the same as a conventional one. I assume not, but it should perform the same basic function if it is still able to actually pressurize the contents and not just heat it it.

#2 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:33 PM

Are you sure the electric one does not have heat? I don't know.  I bought mine on Amazon.  It is brushed aluminum and I LOVE IT.  

I like to leave it out just to look at it as I walk by.  hahah....My wife just shakes her head.  I don't understand why she does not see the beauty in it!  Mine was like 80 bucks and it holds up to six half quart jars.  LOVE IT  Good luck with your's, bet it is fine?

• suckerfree likes this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

If it can reach and maintain ~15 PSIG and is large enough to hold whatever you're cooking then it will work the same as any other PC.

And for that matter, even if it only can reach and hold ~5 PSIG it will still work. It would just require a longer cook time to compensate.

This is not simple/straightforward to calculate, so the easiest approach is to just try different times and see if it works (many cooking blogs offer advice about this topic but it's mostly wrong).

To figure out how long to cook your stuff without wasting any spawn or spores just PC some hydrated whole-grain jars and let them cool down and seal as if you were canning them (use new canning lids) and then just let them sit for a week or so without opening them. If they don't contaminate, your PC time is adequate. And if whole grain doesn't contaminate then BRF jars won't when PC'd the same amount of time so you don't have to do a separate test for those.

• Moonless, Randys67, Nicked and 1 other like this

#4 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

I have an electric one and it was fine for pf cakes in half pint jars. Grain jars don't fit so I'd recommend going for the larger stove top one than an electric one if you're planning on doing anything other than cakes. I'm going to have to import a large stove top PC as we can't get them in that size where I live.
Edit.. Grain jars being quart size

Edited by Nicked, 27 November 2019 - 03:12 PM.

• Randys67 likes this

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:31 PM

Im waiting for Tesla's Cyber Pressure Cooker. Electric is the future!

• Nicked likes this

#6 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:37 PM

Im waiting for Tesla's Cyber Pressure Cooker. Electric is the future!

Lol.. I'd be worried if it looks anything like their pick-up/ute/bakkie.
  • Ronald Ray Gun and RutgerHauer like this

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

It would be bullet proof! We gangsters need that.

• BigSteve likes this

#8 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:45 PM

It would be bullet proof! We gangsters need that.

Would probably run on a Tesla battery too. "Take your Tesla powered Pressure Cooker anywhere you want. Sterilize anywhere, anytime and it's bullet proof functionality offers you that extra protection to give you peace of mind"

Edit: sorry @BigSteve.. I couldn't resist a bit of humor.

Edited by Nicked, 27 November 2019 - 03:46 PM.

• Juthro and BigSteve like this

#9 BigSteve

BigSteve

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the great info! I will do some more research and see if I can find anything that fits my needs.

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

If you're serious about an electric unit,I suggest All American.

They are top quality and well worth the $$$

I have a pressure sterilizer and it's over 10 years old. Was in storage for quite sometime. But with about $100 worth of new pressure parts for safety sake. 

And it works fine

Peace

• Juthro and BigSteve like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,796 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Just curious, why you wanting to use an electric model instead of a conventional stove top PC?   Conventional PC's are by far the cheapest, and have much more capacity.    Even if you have to get a cheap electric hotplate to run them, they are still cheaper then an insta-pot, or one of its clones.

If your going to try anything come complex then PF tek I would strongly advise a PC that goes to 15psi, or you will have trouble following tek's as they are written.   If your content with PF style growing (nothing wrong with that, BTW), you can even get away with no PC, and just steam your rice flour/verm jars.

Edited by Juthro, 27 November 2019 - 05:05 PM.

• Cuboid likes this

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

I had an all american, and it worked just as well. It just wasnt big enough for me. If you are a serious grower, one of these would be great.. 

http://www.bubbasbarrels.com/catalog/kombucha-mushrooms-cold-brew-coffee/mushroom-sterilizer

• TVCasualty and Tenderfoot like this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

I had an all american, and it worked just as well. It just wasnt big enough for me. If you are a serious grower, one of these would be great.. 

http://www.bubbasbarrels.com/catalog/kombucha-mushrooms-cold-brew-coffee/mushroom-sterilizer

Those look sturdy. I didn't realize there was a market for them. Hmm...

As long as you don't bump into it my sort-of durable 200 gallon version (~26 cu. ft.) works great and only cost me under $300 (but lots of hours). I've been meaning to do a write up of my improved version that's much sturdier and easier to build (and smaller, lol) but all my crap is in storage at the moment so here's the original version instead (for now) in case anyone wants to try to make one of their own: https://mycotopia.ne...-5#entry1282361

• onediadem likes this

#14 orangutan

orangutan

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 426 posts

Donator

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:52 AM

I have a cuisinart 8qt electric pressure cooker and I love it to death.  I also have a much larger stovetop pressure cooker for jars and bags, but when I want to make some agar, liquid culture, 3 small test jars, or to sterilize any tools, the electric pressure cooker is by far more convenient.  It heats up almost immediately and you can set it on a timer and walk away.  No hovering over the stove and adjusting the heat.  It also cools off relatively quickly.  I also use it to make food :)

It is pricey though and I was lucky enough to get one as a hand-me-down.  I don't think I would have ever bought one on my own, but now that I have one it is one of my favorite tools.

• Moonless likes this

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

All American makes large electric pressure cookers... They work just fine... In the past, there were cheaper models that took forever to get to temperature but I think those models have been discontinued.

• onediadem likes this

#16 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 763 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

i bought acpl  fancy  heavy duty electric  hot plates  to try and use with my 15 qt and 18 qrt AA  pressure cookers  .  i need to do test to see if they GOT THE JUICE  to do the job

• PJammer24 likes this

#17 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:25 PM

have a 70 yr old 25qt that belonged to my grandmother, gets the job done.

#18 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:59 PM

Steve, what do you mean by larger? I've worked with pressure cookers that you could drive a vw bug into. Odds are if its sold as a pressure cooker or canner/sterilizer. It will work for our purposes. 

I have one of the little insta pot style ones too and love it. Sure I can't do more then 4qts of grain at a time, but I very rarely need that much spawn anyways. 

I love that I can just set it up before bed, set the timer for 90 mins and go to sleep. Wake up in the morning to fresh sterile stuff. No having to sit at home and monitor the temp or even worse listen to that rocker. 

Plus I find it much more useful for every day cooking then an normal PC would be.

They say you are not supposed to "Can" with them because the pressure fluctuates 2-3 psi and doesn't maintain a constant canning pressure. But like TV pointed out you don't have to have 15psi for 60mins if you can just as easily do 12psi for 90. Which is the other trade off, but when your not having to monitor it I personally don't see much difference between running an automated machine for 90min vs 60min if it takes zero input or effort on my part. 

• TVCasualty and crazy1 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!