6 replies to this topic

#1 Jordbob

Jordbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:43 AM

Heyo,

So I would like to help a friend with growing from some caps he's had for a long time. The caps are about 2 years old now and I'd like to be able to make a spore print from them, if that is even possible now.

If anyone has a link to a tech that works for this, i'd really appreciate the help. This site is not easy to navigate and I am not good with the vernacular lololol

Thank you!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,894 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

Welcome.

This article shows you how to use the materials you describe to make fresh tissue:

https://mycotopia.ne...m-dried-tissue/

• crazy1 and Tenderfoot like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:15 AM

Heyo,

So I would like to help a friend with growing from some caps he's had for a long time. The caps are about 2 years old now and I'd like to be able to make a spore print from them, if that is even possible now.

If anyone has a link to a tech that works for this, i'd really appreciate the help. This site is not easy to navigate and I am not good with the vernacular lololol

Thank you!

Once you make a few more posts it's easier to navigate.

Welcome.

This article shows you how to use the materials you describe to make fresh tissue:

https://mycotopia.ne...m-dried-tissue/

Myc, don't you think how the mushrooms were dried play a factor? My dehydrator dries fruits at ~150f, which most likely kills the spores and I'm 89% sure that it kills the mycelium.

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,894 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

Good question C&B. I wouldn't argue with your knowledge. You've run more experiments than I ever did so I defer to your experience.

The sample featured in that old thread was air-dried. No heat, no fan - just a wire rack laid out on a table.

However, the sample was stored in a tool-box in a garage - which I know was getting pretty hot by the time I re-discovered that sample, loose and un-protected by any means, lounging in the back of a drawer behind the tools. I was just lucky that the mice hadn't found it as they had already eaten a fairly fat sack of dried p. weilii which was stored nearby. They ate the whole sack of shrooms (prolly 8-10 grams), chewed the bite-valve off of a camel-bak for the water, and I guess........had one heck of a religious experience. 3 grams of those puppies and I was meeting beings from a parallel universe. ;)

Later that week - after discovering the empty sack and missing 'shrooms.......

I was using the hydrant to get the dogs some water and heard a desperate squeak coming from a big prickly pear right next to the hydrant. Looking down and to the left, I saw a poor field-mouse stuck, spread-eagle, all four paws, pierced deeply and hopelessly through............talk about holy shit - you had to see it to believe it...........so I went inside and brought witnesses so nobody could call BS later. We wondered if the mice had developed their own religion and then crucified the mouse who brought the knowledge of mushrooms to them. (I know this is horrible - but I'm that kind of asshole.) I did free the mouse - with witnesses watching - so as not to overly prolong its suffering.

Your true story for the day.

• crazy1 and Nicked like this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

Good question C&B. I wouldn't argue with your knowledge. You've run more experiments than I ever did so I defer to your experience.

The sample featured in that old thread was air-dried. No heat, no fan - just a wire rack laid out on a table.

However, the sample was stored in a tool-box in a garage - which I know was getting pretty hot by the time I re-discovered that sample, loose and un-protected by any means, lounging in the back of a drawer behind the tools. I was just lucky that the mice hadn't found it as they had already eaten a fairly fat sack of dried p. weilii which was stored nearby. They ate the whole sack of shrooms (prolly 8-10 grams), chewed the bite-valve off of a camel-bak for the water, and I guess........had one heck of a religious experience. 3 grams of those puppies and I was meeting beings from a parallel universe. ;)

Later that week - after discovering the empty sack and missing 'shrooms.......

I was using the hydrant to get the dogs some water and heard a desperate squeak coming from a big prickly pear right next to the hydrant. Looking down and to the left, I saw a poor field-mouse stuck, spread-eagle, all four paws, pierced deeply and hopelessly through............talk about holy shit - you had to see it to believe it...........so I went inside and brought witnesses so nobody could call BS later. We wondered if the mice had developed their own religion and then crucified the mouse who brought the knowledge of mushrooms to them. (I know this is horrible - but I'm that kind of asshole.) I did free the mouse - with witnesses watching - so as not to overly prolong its suffering.

Your true story for the day.

Okay, there's a lot to unpack there.

Don't defer to me, I've never tried to revive dried mycelium. Guess I have another experiment! :tongue:

Regarding the mouse, do you have evil neighbor children?

#6 Jordbob

Jordbob

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:09 AM

Poor Promouseus, punished for bring the fire of the gods onto rodents.

This is awesome! I wasn't thinking to use petri dishes and agar. Is just Potato Dextrose Agar good enough? 

I had already ordered some Tetracycline tablets (fish tank supplies) to make an antibiotic solution and inoculate it into BRF jars. Would you recommend gentamycin over tetracycline? 

I have a background in laboratory science so i'm friggun geeked about making my own lab set up to perform all sorts of techniques. 

So yes.... now I need to learn how to make my own agar. Or would you suggest ordering sterile from Remel or another lab manufacture? 

Also, Thanks so much for the reply

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,894 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

PDA - Potato Dextrose Agar - will work just fine.

Tetracycline should work. Just be sure to verify the temperature when you add it to the agar. I don't think it will survive the PC and must be added afterward but prior to pouring.

You can always order this stuff for the right $$$ but it's more fun to make your own. ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!