Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How, When and Why Should I Shake or Not Shake a Colonized WBS Jar?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

Hello Everyone, I have a few colonized WBS Jars. When and Should I or Should I Not shake the colonized WBS Jars. I would appreciate all the advice and help that I can get. Thank You

#2 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

If I remember correctly the shaking will slow down the rapid colonization a bit, but it's necessary to spread the forming mycelium to all the seed base. Depending on what kind, and size of the seeds, every few days should be enough to keep it going.

If you don't shake it, or it clumps up to where it wont shake apart, you will just have to use it like that and where there are uncolonized grains still in the mix it will contaminate there. 

I always had problems with getting the right moisture content with grains. They would dry out, or worse yet, ferment and smell like sour mash whiskey. Do you have pictures? They always help with any questions you have. People can see what stage you are at and what other little clues there might be to your procedure. Just saying, and good luck with your project. It's the most rewarding hobby I have ever found, and definitely the most edumacational.

• wilspeak likes this

#3 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

If I remember correctly the shaking will slow down the rapid colonization a bit, but it's necessary to spread the forming mycelium to all the seed base. Depending on what kind, and size of the seeds, every few days should be enough to keep it going.

If you don't shake it, or it clumps up to where it wont shake apart, you will just have to use it like that and where there are uncolonized grains still in the mix it will contaminate there. 

I always had problems with getting the right moisture content with grains. They would dry out, or worse yet, ferment and smell like sour mash whiskey. Do you have pictures? They always help with any questions you have. People can see what stage you are at and what other little clues there might be to your procedure. Just saying, and good luck with your project. It's the most rewarding hobby I have ever found, and definitely the most edumacational.

Hello happ4nic8r, I will post pictures of the jars today after I take pictures of them. Thank You for your response. 

#4 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

Cool. Always happy to help advise with the growing community. I continually strive to come up with clues, alternate techs, answers and more questions on anything related to this hobby. I have spent the majority of my retirement hours working on ways to improve my methods, and then I moved to a place where it's almost impossible to grow anything. That posed a huge challenge, but I'm slowly getting ahead of it. Unfortunately I've used almost all of my library of spore prints, and am getting dangerously low. It only takes one good batch, but I've really got to stop messing around and get that batch. I thought I had a lifetime supply, but this challenge area has proven once again there is not such thing as a "lifetime supply". What was I thinking?

• wilspeak likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

One can always cheat and put vermiculite in with one's grains to soak up extra moisture.

I think str0be came up with it.

https://www.shroomol...o-fail-wbs-tek/

There's some steps that I'd skip, but that's neither here nor there.

Hello Everyone, I have a few colonized WBS Jars. When and Should I or Should I Not shake the colonized WBS Jars. I would appreciate all the advice and help that I can get. Thank You

To speed up colonization and to make sure that you don't have top dig your grain spawn out with a spoon. As often as the myc recovers. You'll get a feel for it after doing it a while.

• wilspeak likes this

#6 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

I usually shake around 25% then at 75%. It has always worked well and the colonization is solid.

Peace
  • wilspeak likes this

#7 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

Here is the picture of the WBS Jars 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.jpg

#8 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:41 PM

One can always cheat and put vermiculite in with one's grains to soak up extra moisture.

I think str0be came up with it.

https://www.shroomol...o-fail-wbs-tek/

There's some steps that I'd skip, but that's neither here nor there.

To speed up colonization and to make sure that you don't have top dig your grain spawn out with a spoon. As often as the myc recovers. You'll get a feel for it after doing it a while.

Thank You for the information. 

• CatsAndBats likes this

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

I would fill a little lower so there's more room to shake. There will come a point where the grains will not be even Harlem shakeable, Then you just have to wait and dig them out to the casing. What are you planning for the next step?

• wilspeak likes this

#10 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:43 PM

Those look like they’re ready for a good shake, if you wait too long I find there’s not enough food for the mycelium to fully recover and get strong again and if you shake too early it’ll take a lot longer, and possibly need a second shake wich I try to avoid, that jar on the bottom right looks just about the perfect stage. When I shake I keep a good eye to make sure I get some mycelium on the bottom of the jars because if not it’s usually the first place to stall.

Good luck man, those jars are looking nice :)
  • wilspeak likes this

#11 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

I would fill a little lower so there's more room to shake. There will come a point where the grains will not be even Harlem shakeable, Then you just have to wait and dig them out to the casing. What are you planning for the next step?

I am going to shake shake the 4 on the bottom row now  and wait a few more days  to shake the top jar.

#12 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

Those look like they’re ready for a good shake, if you wait too long I find there’s not enough food for the mycelium to fully recover and get strong again and if you shake too early it’ll take a lot longer, and possibly need a second shake wich I try to avoid, that jar on the bottom right looks just about the perfect stage. When I shake I keep a good eye to make sure I get some mycelium on the bottom of the jars because if not it’s usually the first place to stall.

Do you think its ok to shake all 4 bottom and leave the top jar alone for a few more days?

#13 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:29 PM

Cool. Always happy to help advise with the growing community. I continually strive to come up with clues, alternate techs, answers and more questions on anything related to this hobby. I have spent the majority of my retirement hours working on ways to improve my methods, and then I moved to a place where it's almost impossible to grow anything. That posed a huge challenge, but I'm slowly getting ahead of it. Unfortunately I've used almost all of my library of spore prints, and am getting dangerously low. It only takes one good batch, but I've really got to stop messing around and get that batch. I thought I had a lifetime supply, but this challenge area has proven once again there is not such thing as a "lifetime supply". What was I thinking?

#14 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:30 PM

My Next project is learning how to make spore prints. 

#15 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:59 PM

The top looks ok to shake too, it won’t hurt it to leave it tho, it’s really up to you. And like happy said, it’s always good to keep them a little less full, I do like about 3/4.

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

Shake them, IMHO.

With all do respect, I disagree. In nature our cubensis friends grow on manure, which has been stripped of the majority of its nutrients by the animal that dropped the dung. Not only has the animal in question stripped what it needs from the material, bacteria and gut fungi have done the same. My point being, there's more than enough energy/food stuff in a raw grain jar than a cubensis colony would need to recover.

I'm just speculating though, so who knows? :biggrin:   

• crazy1 and Nicked like this

#17 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:17 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1315468

• wilspeak likes this

#18 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:42 PM

Shake them, IMHO.

With all do respect, I disagree. In nature our cubensis friends grow on manure, which has been stripped of the majority of its nutrients by the animal that dropped the dung. Not only has the animal in question stripped what it needs from the material, bacteria and gut fungi have done the same. My point being, there's more than enough energy/food stuff in a raw grain jar than a cubensis colony would need to recover.

Lol, wow. That makes absolutely no sense. Where do you come up with this shit?

#19 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:51 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...g/#entry1315468

Thank You

• Nicked likes this

#20 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:07 AM

Shake them, IMHO.

Lol, wow. That makes absolutely no sense. Where do you come up with this shit?

I really hope you are trolling buddy cuz that was some very simple to understand science he just laid out for you...

There’s enough energy in grain to fruit multiple flushes... see for yourself here:

https://mycotopia.ne...ez-effect-teks/

Or consider that the PF Tek relies on nutrition from brown rice for the entirety of a cakes life... many flushes.

And the part about how digestion works... if you can’t grasp that I dunno how to help you...

Not trying to be a total asshole here but you gotta do some research, man. It’s ok to not know everything... none of us do. Learn, dude! don’t pretend you know everything and close yourself off; You will never grow as a person or learn anything with a mindset like that.

Edit: sorry OP I didn’t even answer your question... typically I do what @Crazy1 said and shake at about 25% colonized to spread the mycelium around the jar then again at 75-80% to mix up the last of the uncolonized grain and get it do finish up. Works great for me as well.

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 30 November 2019 - 12:24 AM.

• crazy1, CatsAndBats, Cuboid and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!