• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 triphazard636

triphazard636

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

so i took advantage of black friday and bought a nice big pressure cooker. i’ve been successful with brf cakes but i have also purchased sterilized jars of rye berry and popcorn and love the results from them. the rye berry and popcorn seem to colonize faster and when moved to the monotub with bulk substrate the end results are 100 times better. besides reading what i could find here i have watched a few videos in the youtubes and besides adding gypsum during the rehydration process some have added fresh coffee grounds. do the coffee grounds really make a difference? is there any more of a risk of contamination using the coffee grounds during rehydration as opposed to not using coffee grounds?

#2 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,672 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

When you say "rehydration" do you mean taking dry rye or wheat grain at the beginning of the process and adding water to them to get them ready to pressure cook? The prefix "re" is confusing me a bit. But if that is what you mean then yes coffee grounds or coffee water can be added to the boil or to the bulk substrate during pasteurization. I would not add straight coffee grounds to my grain/spawn jars. At that point I would use coffee water. Straight grounds can be added to the bulk substrate once you are at that step but add them only at a 25% rate. Yes coffee can enhance a grow but I made the decision a long time ago that the small amount of added benefit did not out weigh the cost of possible contamination. Coffee will lead to a greater risk of contamination.

I love to experiment and that is the only way this hobby, as a home cultivation hobby, will grow and develop but I have not found anything yet that worked any better than the typical tek of rye grain to bulk substrate. I use rye or wheat grain (not seed). I bring the grain to a boil with a little lime and gypsum. Once its at a heavy boil I reduce to simmer for 30 minutes or so. Then I drain the grain well and add them to my jars. Then they go into the pressure cooker. Its easy with fantastic results nearly everytime.
  • PJammer24, Juthro and ElPirana like this

#3 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

What dial said...and make sure they're properly spent coffee grounds, most home brewers dont get the water temperature up high enough to extract the nutrients leaving the grounds more rich, this invites contamination.

Use spent grounds from Starbucks,tim hortons, country style or anywhere they have a commercial brewer/perculator.
It makes all the difference
  • ElPirana likes this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

As was said by dial8, as I progressed in this hobby, I came to the conclusion that the added risk of contamination outweighs any benefit gained by using coffee grounds... I would suggest sticking to grain alone and leaving the coffee out entirely... It significantly increases contamination risk not matter how it has been prepared. Using it as part of your substrate mix presents a greater risk than using it in grain spawn but I chose to not use it with either as do nearly every experienced grower I speak with. It is easily obtained and renewable, recycled product so I understand the draw but I would suggest leaving the coffee grounds out...

• dial8 and ElPirana like this

#5 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:35 AM

What dial said...and make sure they're properly spent coffee grounds, most home brewers dont get the water temperature up high enough to extract the nutrients leaving the grounds more rich, this invites contamination.
Use spent grounds from Starbucks,tim hortons, country style or anywhere they have a commercial brewer/perculator.
It makes all the difference

I’ve never considered this point about the water temperature. For the last three years I’ve just been using spent coffee grounds straight from my coffee maker, but I know the coffee shop nearby keeps packaged spent grounds out for anyone to take at no charge...I may do that on my next round in a few days. That said, I haven’t really had a lot of contamination issues, just occasionally as can probably be typically expected.

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 808 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

HUMMM seems like   you could use  spent coffee grounds in sterilized  spawn or pasturized substrate . wonder witch or both are likely to increase chance of  contam  . interesting

BEZ

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!