• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

I have no idea why, but unless I'm just looking in all the wrong places finding one that powerful over here is nigh on impossible. Especially canners.

Does anyone know of places to look for 15psi cookers/canners for the UK?

I already have an Amazon basics one that is 4L (4.2 quarts) which seems to have done the job with my current tek jars as they're colonising healthily, but it is only 90 kPa, which if Google is correct is only a touch over 13psi. I'm not sure if that's too low. My last jars I used with it I just left them on the stove half hour longer.

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

Hawkins BigBoy 14L is on Amazon UK, it does 15psi. £77 though.

I make do with a Tower 11L model that does a little under 12PSI. I got it on sale for maybe £25.
Like you said, extend the cooking time.

You can get All American brand here too but mega expensive.
  • Juthro likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,796 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

I was just curious, do they sell presto's, or mirro's in the UK?  Those two brands are probably the cheapest workhorse caners available here in North America.  Though I shouldn't call them cheap, as they both do the job they were designed to do very well, and at a very affordable price point.

Please forgive me if I wonder off topic slightly.  Is the home canning of food a big thing in the UK?  How available are jars, and lids?  

Edited by Juthro, 30 November 2019 - 08:08 PM.

#4 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:25 PM

I don't think home canning / preserving has been very popular here for decades. I recall my paternal grandparents doing some pickling,canning, and jam making back in the 80's and they were considered very old fashioned even then. I don't go physically shopping much so no idea if those brands are in the bigger homeware stores. Online we don't seem to have much to choose from without import shipping.
  • crazy1 and Juthro like this

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:45 AM

I have always had difficulty finding canners in stores locally... People don't do as much canning as they did back in the day and more often than not, they must be special ordered. I have found ebay to be a good forum where a canner can be acquired relatively cheaply.

• crazy1 likes this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,796 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

Canners, and canning supplies are common fare in the big box stores around where I live, but I assume it is a regional thing.  Dry cabins are very common around these parts, and home canned meat and produce need no refrigeration. 

Also, around here we can a lot types of food when its available so we have some during the times when its not.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!