This is a first post. Wish me luck.
I am new to mycology, and I am getting into it to supply myself enough to microdose. I've been reading of its benefits for a couple of years, and I'm reasonably sure it'll help me along out of a bad bout of depression. After ten years, I am mostly out, but I could use some brightness and perspective, if that makes sense. First, though, I need some shrooms.
Anyway, I have a problem with yield, and I could use some advice if you've got some.
- 14 Sep 19, I inoculated 18 BRF jars I bought from what seems to be a decent vendor. No issues with my work or the vendor's, and all is well. I used spores from a reputable vendor, I think. Golden Teacher and B+, nine jars each. No contam or mold to be seen.
- The jars seemed to take a long time to colonize, although I may have had my incubator a little cool, around 78F. They were on a heating blanket, and I checked temps twice a day, and pulled the data recorder about every three weeks. Process looks good, albeit slow.
- 9 Nov 19 I finally birthed and dunked. Four of the cakes near the side of the chamber caught some light and shrooms started to grow in the jars. When I pulled the jars, the shrooms had some black debris, so I threw cakes and shrooms away. Otherwise, the other cakes looked pretty colonized, but they were not solid white. I just felt I needed to get them into the fruiting chamber before I lost them.
- 10 Nov 19, cakes go into fruiting chamber. I had bought a fruiting chamber kit from the BRF jar vendor. Kit used a plastic bin with cover, lid, perlite, and a humidity generator fed by a fish tank pump. Has a small LED light too. I read countless times not to buy a kit, but, I accepted the fact that it would be sub optimum, as I just wanted to learn. Anyway, kit said keep it at 76F and 90%+ RH. I rolled the cakes in verm, and stood the cakes on small squares of tin foil. At this point I had a temp/humidity controller, and I thought everything was good.
- The kit said to fan the cakes three or more times a day, and I, most of the time, managed three fans as well as misting misting. I fanned generally at 4:30AM, 5:30PM, 8:00PMish. Lost a rather big GT mushroom to rot b/c I did not know when to harvest it.
- 23 Nov 19, Got 13g of wet B+ shrooms, made a few dry capsules of 0.12g each. After taking a few, my wife says she sees a difference in my mood. Encouraging.
- Since then (today is 2 Dec 19), I have collected maybe 2g wet of shrooms. Very small. Admittedly, I don't have great FAE, and the next time I grow I am either going to make a SGFC or rig a small exhaust fan on the fruiting chamber to go on briefly every few hours. The chamber is humid, I have a bit of standing water in the perlite, and I put a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in occasionally to control growth.
Right now, I am about to give up on these jars. I thought I might be getting too much humidity, so I cracked the lid to get some FAE. I did that for about a week, and nothing happened. Right now I have the lid on tighter and I am fanning and misting three times a day, which is about what my schedule allows.
I have 18 fresh, uninoculated, BRF jars and 4-5 12ml syringes loaded with golden teacher. I sure as hell am going to do something differently next time, but I am not really sure where I went wrong, besides the FAE. If you guys have any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks for your time.