• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

how many of you age yours. i put mine in a bind for a week or more before i add the spawn.

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

Do you mean you pasteurize it and let it sit a week before spawning? Or do you age it, pasteurize it, then spawn it?

FWIW, I spawn my bulk subs as soon as they are cooled-off enough from pasteurization to do so (I don't age them at any point in the process).

• FunG likes this

#3 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

I'll second that ^^^^^

Inoculate as quickly as possible, less chance of contams

Peace

• FunG likes this

#4 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:27 AM

i take it out of the oven and leave it in the oven bag. i place it in a seal plastic bin till i'm ready for it. haven't had anymore comtams than usual but it colonizes faster and i get really big flushes.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:13 AM

I think it colonizes faster, most likely, because the moisture content is closer to field capacity after letting it sit for a week.

What is the substrate mix? are you using manure?

I'm pretty sure any benefit you are seeing is caused by water content being ideal opposed to any other potential benefits... If you are using a strictly verm and/or coir substrate, I could see this working well enough due to the low nutrient content... I think you will eventually run into trouble at some point if you are using manure...

I'm not sure how many contams you get after pasteurizing typically... You say that you get no more contams than usual... I get all most no contamination until after multiple flushes... Any contams I get are typically in the spawn phase. If you are getting contaminations during the spawn run, I would consider a different pasteurization method...

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

Spawn could be running quicker because of contams too.. Then it goes: let's get the hell out of here! But you might be onto something I don't fully understand.

But is it really quicker when you are waiting an extra week, or more?

Edited by RutgerHauer, 03 December 2019 - 12:38 PM.

#7 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

People sell compost and manure substrates online so you know it must be ok to store pasteurized substrates for a period of time or else those vendors wouldn't be in business.

The bag should remain sealed until ready for use, I personally have never stored a pasteurized substrate, always used it right away so I dont know how long it will keep for.
  • crazy1 likes this

#8 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

I think it colonizes faster, most likely, because the moisture content is closer to field capacity after letting it sit for a week.

What is the substrate mix? are you using manure?

I'm pretty sure any benefit you are seeing is caused by water content being ideal opposed to any other potential benefits... If you are using a strictly verm and/or coir substrate, I could see this working well enough due to the low nutrient content... I think you will eventually run into trouble at some point if you are using manure...

I'm not sure how many contams you get after pasteurizing typically... You say that you get no more contams than usual... I get all most no contamination until after multiple flushes... Any contams I get are typically in the spawn phase. If you are getting contaminations during the spawn run, I would consider a different pasteurization method...

i use 1/3 blackcow,1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 coco coir.

#9 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

People sell compost and manure substrates online so you know it must be ok to store pasteurized substrates for a period of time or else those vendors wouldn't be in business.

The bag should remain sealed until ready for use, I personally have never stored a pasteurized substrate, always used it right away so I dont know how long it will keep for.

i don't open it till i'm ready to use it. just a guess but i think it helps the good microbes.

• FunG likes this

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

I've been playing around with aged coir/manure a bit with mixed results. Pasteurized then sits in the garage for 6-8 months. I've been calling it Fermented Substrate.

#11 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:49 PM

longest i've waited is about 6 weeks.

#12 Insearchof1075

Insearchof1075

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:23 PM

I let mine set for about a week but I put it in the fridge right after it I brought it out of the oven. I only did it with 2 bags of substrate. I had one jar of spawn that was ready and 2 that weren’t quite there. I guess I could’ve waited on the other 2 fully colonize.
Anyways, when I took the bags out of the fridge I let it get to about 68f then checked it before mixing the spawn. It still had good moisture and it also had a more airy feel to it if that makes sense. It was damp but felt fluffy. The mycelium seems to be doing well in those tubs so far.

#13 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

the 20 tubs i put to spawn are colonized after 4 days.

• adrian118 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!