3 replies to this topic

#1 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

Hello everyone!

One of the reasons I sought out this site was because I recently bought about 2 acres of forest in the general area of Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.

Mostly deciduous, with some coniferous mixed in.

We will be building our retirement home one 1 of the acres, and for the time being have decided to keep the other 1 acre untouched.

I am thinking that I may be able to grow mushrooms on the untouched land.

This would be mainly a cash crop.

I will only be visiting this site once a month between April to November, so if I choose to grow something here, it will need to be a crop that can sit for a while without spoiling before harvest.

From my very limited knowledge so far, I was thinking of inoculating a bunch of logs with reishi plug spawn.

Although, since I have the space, and it takes time to reap the rewards, I am open to diversifying as well, to see what happens, if nothing else.

I am really out of my element here, but I have to start somewhere!

Any advice?

Thank you so much.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,660 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:16 PM

Welcome aboard my fellow Canadian!

Unfortunately I don’t really have any advice about commercial edible/medicinal mushroom growing but I’m sure someone will stop by shortly who knows more about it than me...

Anyway, welcome man!

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 02 December 2019 - 09:16 PM.

#3 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

Hello everyone!

One of the reasons I sought out this site was because I recently bought about 2 acres of forest in the general area of Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.

Mostly deciduous, with some coniferous mixed in.

We will be building our retirement home one 1 of the acres, and for the time being have decided to keep the other 1 acre untouched.

I am thinking that I may be able to grow mushrooms on the untouched land.

This would be mainly a cash crop.

I will only be visiting this site once a month between April to November, so if I choose to grow something here, it will need to be a crop that can sit for a while without spoiling before harvest.

From my very limited knowledge so far, I was thinking of inoculating a bunch of logs with reishi plug spawn.

Although, since I have the space, and it takes time to reap the rewards, I am open to diversifying as well, to see what happens, if nothing else.

I am really out of my element here, but I have to start somewhere!

Any advice?

Thank you so much.

Very complete books could be written using what I don't know about mushroom growing, but, I would think Paul Stamet's book titled ...

Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms. 

...would be of interest to you.  I have read a bit of it, and it would seem to be something to structure your thoughts, as he discusses commercial mushroom cultivation.  It does read like a textbook, though.

#4 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

Thank you so much CentralLimit.

That book is on my radar, and I will be purchasing it very soon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!