• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:57 PM

no luck with the pan yet, as I have found them to be more difficult than the cubes for some reason, any info you guys/girls provide will be appreciated.

Pans are harder. They need basically the same growth parameters, but are more picky.

For those you want to make a substrate with manure and/or straw, or the results will be underwhelming, if they even fruit at all. A casing layer is required for pans. And they need more FAE than cubes. They also abort a lot easier I think, so be careful when misting those.

I have read somewhere that you can make some sort of PF-cakes with manure added in them, that can be used to grow pans. I'm not sure if I remember that right, but it should probably be easy to find by searching.

Also, congratulations for your successes so far, good job. Personally I have not managed to succeed with LC yet.

Edited by Nibano, 08 December 2019 - 01:02 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#22 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 826 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

Liquid cultures are great, as long as they are clean and kept clean. The way I use them is to inoculate them with spores. Normally the pros say that is not really the way to go with LCs but it works for me. I have now the ability to test them on agar, so that is fine.

It's a great way to make a big culture out of a tiny bit of spore solution, it is pretty economical. They take off fast when healthy, most of the time just in about 24-36 hours after inoculating to jars of grain in moderate temperatures.

Pans like higher temperatures as well, am I correct? Will have to get into poo and straw then this coming spring/summer to cultivate them, would really like that.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 December 2019 - 03:35 PM.

• Nibano likes this

#23 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

I'm not sure it's that they like higher temperatures than cubes, but I do know that they are less forgiving at lower temperatures than cubes.

(Cubes are crazy forgiving with temperatures, I have successfully colonized and fruited cubes at 15°C (~60°F). It was insanely slow though).

Pans are more picky about getting to grow at the sub tropical temperatures that they thrive in. I don't think pans would be happy at all at temperatures lower than 21°C (~70°F). However, maybe some more experienced pan-grower will come and chime in about that, don't take my word for it. I colonized and fruited mine at 23°C (~73-74°F) and that worked fine at least.

I have seen many claiming that you need to grow them on manure substrate to get a good yield. However, I grew them on a substrate of 75% wheat straw and 25% coir, and the yield was good. But who knows, maybe it would have been even better with manure.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#24 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 826 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:20 PM

Seeing that in nature they grow on poo that would make sense. I have a vial of spores of the Jamaican variety, I associate Jamaica with warm weather so I think I'll wait for warmer weather. :)

Good stuff that you can grow Cubes in lower temperatures, and that they at least don't stall because of it. I don't have any heating setup right now, I just have my central heating cranked up to 21.5 C since I have been growing again so that should suffice.

#25 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:32 PM

21.5°C is pretty much what I have here right now, both for colonization and fruiting. It seems to be a pretty nice temperature for cubes. Also, keeping the temperatures that low makes it harder for some contaminations to take over. And I would guess that it is also an adequate temperature for pan cyans. Don't think I'm an expert or something about it though, I have only grown pan cyans three times.

That might be a good idea, yeah. I grew mine in the summer for that reason, when it was 23°C inside here.

Yeah, it's good that they are so forgiving. But it took 9 weeks for the jars to colonize at that low temperature. It was multispore so maybe the spores were just slow, but 9 weeks seems really long to me.

• RutgerHauer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!