{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

Thought I would share this article!

https://psychedelicr...pray-announced/

“Magic Mushroom” Microdosing Nasal Spray Announced

Nasal spray formulations could offer precision dosing of a spectrum of psychedelic mushroom compounds to consumers

December 04, 2019 - By Science Review Team

shutterstock_627170348-1024x683.jpgSilo Wellness has produced the first psychedelic mushroom nasal spray.

Silo Wellness, a Springfield, Oregon psychedelics startup, has announced a “magic mushroom” metered dosing spray intended for consumer microdosing. The company claims that the nasal spray will address some of the primary issues with consuming mushrooms including dose reliability, stomach upset and accessibility. Silo Wellness’ says their formulated product addresses an unmet need in the burgeoning field of psychedelics.

“…we need to be able to give patients predictable dosing so they can self-titrate into the desired levels of sub-psychedelic or psychedelic treatment,” said Silo Wellness CEO, Mike Arnold, in a press release posted on the Silo Wellness website. “We solved the age-old problem with plant- and fungus-based medicine: How do you know how much is a dose? How do you avoid taking too much, like the cannabis edibles dilemma?  We also managed to solve one of the common complaints of some mushroom users: taste and upset stomach.”

Silo Wellness’ website indicates that their nasal spray is a “full-spectrum” formulated product, potentially preserving the “entourage effect” of the host of molecules present in psilocybin mushrooms. In contrast, others have recently incorrectly referred to purified or synthetic psilocybin as “magic mushrooms” or conflated the effects of mushrooms with psilocybin, ignoring the host of other active (and potentially active) compounds present in the fungi.  While Silo Wellness has not revealed the precise contents of their psychedelic nasal spray, formulated products can also offer the consistency and control necessary for consumer products and which natural mushrooms lack.

While decriminalization of psilocybin-containing “magic” mushrooms is spreading across American cities, mushrooms remain illegal in most of the United States. Silo Wellness says they took to Jamaica to develop the product and have tested the product on themselves and others.  In the press release, Silo Wellness co-inventor and pharmaceutical product developer, Michael Hartman spoke to the company’s progress on the product.

“This isn’t a ‘plan’ to develop a product or a ‘plan’ to open a facility,” Hartman stated.  “We have real proof of concept and continued research and development underway—not just an idea.”

Silo Wellness is clear that their product is intended for microdosing, colloquially meaning (in regards to psychedelics) sub-perceptual dosing.  However, details about the composition of the formulation, including which compounds, the ratios between them, and the dose size have not been revealed.  Other details yet to be revealed include how variability of chemical composition across different batches of mushrooms will be addressed.

Silo Wellness claims to have filed a provisional patent application in July, “to cover metered dosing formulations of plant and fungal compounds for oral, nasal, sublingual, and topical use.”  They also intend to develop products around other psychedelic plants, such as peyote and ayahuasca.

Like many new entrants into the psychedelic space, the Silo Wellness team brings experience from their work in cannabis.  CEO Arnold was an attorney representing players in the cannabis industry, while Hartman invented cannabis inhaler “Mystabis”.  The translation of their work in cannabis to psychedelics further highlights the similarities and synergies between the two arenas.

“I never thought I would exit cannabis and pivot full time into psychedelics, but they changed my life. I want to share this medicine with the world by making it affordable and comfortable for all.” ~ Silo Wellness CEO, Mike Arnold

“National media didn’t care about psychedelics until Denver passed their decriminalization ballot measure,” Arnold is quoted as saying in a press release posted by Silo Wellness.  “Before that, everyone thought I was crazy when I told them that we were entering the medicinal psychedelics space in advance of Oregon legalizing in 2020.”

Mainstream media coverage of psychedelics (particularly psilocybin) has increased precipitously in the past several years, spurred on by the so-called “psychedelic renaissance”.  While Denver’s decriminalization vote is a part of the broader societal picture, a stark increase in scientific research (particularly around the mental health benefits of psychedelics) in the space preceded the Denver ballot initiative and is widely credited as igniting the myriad of activity and growth currently underway.

• TVCasualty, Juthro, Boebs and 1 other like this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:22 PM

Hmm.

All the hand-wringing about "variability" is pretty funny. In a cynical sense. They could just use my honey recipe, which homogenizes a given batch so each teaspoon is the same dose. And differences between batches are negligible. It's a non-issue. So I suspect a wee bit of fuckery.

Mandating high dosage precision and no variability is a way to take control over the whole thing if the active molecules are legal to distribute but only in such a form, and we can expect them to try to lobby to make it that way since they put so much money into this product (and others into shit like that E. coli GMO abomination). It also justifies the product's existence, since for the past 10,000+ years we've managed to handle that variability pretty well. But all of a sudden they're not good enough, they "lack" hyper-consistency. Get the fuck outta here with that noise.

Once actual mushrooms are taken out of the equation then there's no need to legalize mushrooms, and all that happens is getting busted with mushrooms is like getting caught with Valium without a prescription.

And eventually it will be realized that the individual taking the dose is a major part of the variability "problem."

Not every time something hits harder than expected is because it's a higher dose than expected. This will be a handy product, but is not quite the breakthrough the hype presents it to be. I have to admit that I'm curious about taking very large doses with it; how fast of an onset are we talking? That could be ...something.

If they're diligent about their gray-market company/product then someone from it will read this thread. So ...ten bucks says the upset stomach and taste problems solved themselves when you extracted the actives from the actual fungi since they're caused by the chitin in the fungal cell walls, amirite? And did y'all try my honey recipe yet? You should, and then PM me and we can talk labels and royalties. In any case we'll be keeping an eye on you. Don't try to pull any funny lobbying shit, mm'kay? And I'm available for consulting services at reasonable rates paid in advance, including product development and testing.

Anyway, some of you think I'm nuts, and you're right, but I've actually had a company rep reply to me in a thread here when I reversed-engineered their product in a thread. This was a long time ago, like '06. But ...whoa, lol.

Oh, and when it's legal, why don't WE get into the mushroom business? Make it a non-profit/Benefit Corp. Keep the money where it belongs; in the community.

If organized properly this well-established community could position itself to be a profoundly influential player as things change radically across society (yay Chaos Age!) since in the world of fake-everything about the only thing you can count on or trust is longevity, which we got a TON of.
 We're positively ancient in Internet-time, wizened Priests and Priestesses of a contemporary Eleusis...

With all the fly-by-night "Shrooms, Inc." operations that will pop up when it's legal there will be a great need for reliable and accurate information about the topic and this is one of very few places in the perfect position to become that source (on a MUCH bigger stage). This is a marketing thing, but we're the heavy-hitters because we've got 20 years of content as a head start over any noob startups, however well-funded they may be. Longevity, motherfuckers! We got this...

Dare to dream? 
Or am I just high as fuck?

• Myc, crazy1, Tenderfoot and 6 others like this

#3 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:09 AM

Follow your dreams....

• TVCasualty likes this

#4 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:17 AM

Life is all a dream TV......

But I do think you're spot on and this place is exactly what you are saying.

Peace

• TVCasualty likes this

#5 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,335 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:38 AM

Lots of good points made there TV.

Just like with any other successful religion (aka - system of control) - you've got to place "god" just outside the reach of the average individual. If everyone has ready access, there's no way to make exorbitant profits.

And I'm adding 'plus-one' to the votes for the honey tek.

• TVCasualty, crazy1, coorsmikey and 3 others like this

#6 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,744 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

Good point.

The idea of the spray is handy, but so are pills, and the honey teck, or tea for that matter. Could it not be just stored in the fridge and drank over the course of a few days. 

Decriminalization is the ultimate goal but we seem to get stuck with legalized.  The only reason the government legalized drug's is to pocket all the tax dollars they are losing to the black market. It has little to do with the positive societal effects legalization could have. It was the only way we could convince all the stiff's to legalize weed. Then we ask people that know nothing about the drugs to write all the laws. It's and insult. In the end you do get a more expensive product, but it is claimed to be better for you somehow. When you could just make it yourself cheaply and effectively if it was decriminalized

• Myc and Juthro like this

#7 BadPenny

BadPenny

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

TV you are right on the money.  Bottom line is, things like monopolies can only exist in an environment where the Government outlaws competition either directly through licensing or indirectly through a maze of regulations that a small upstart can't navigate without a shit-ton of money behind them.

None of this stuff is supposed to be regulated or controlled by the Feds.  The great American experiment is supposed to work out virtually all commercial issues between the States, not in Washington.  The Feds are only there to referee anti-competitive actions taken by the States against each other in order to keep trade fair and free across State borders.

Edited by BadPenny, 20 February 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:36 AM

More efforts to make the actual mushrooms obsolete for producing the magic: Yeast could soon make psilocybin cheaper than their magic mushroom cousins can

The article mentions something that I consider good news, which is that similar efforts to use GM E. coli to produce psilocin are not economically feasible (yet):

It may be more efficient to bioengineer psilocybin in other, faster growing organisms. This type of process is already used for the production of drugs that we use everyday, like insulin. Attempts to produce psilocybin have primarily been made in Escherichia coli. Through a series of genetic modifications, researchers at Miami University in Ohio were able to genetically modify E. coli to produce psilocybin at a yield of 1.16g/L.

However, these experiments are still limited by the cost of what you have to feed the E. coli in order to produce psilocybin — the same expensive chemical as the patented COMPASS isolation method, 4-hydroxyindole, had to be used as a starter to feed the E. coli. This makes the use of this method just as infeasible as chemical synthesis.

So a Big Pharma psilocybin monopoly is still a long way off, fortunately.

However...

Now, researchers at the Technical University of Denmark have found a new, better vehicle to make psilocybin: baker’s yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Unlike E. coli, yeast are able to express a key enzyme from the natural magic mushroom production pathway of psilocybin. This means that by using yeast, this group of Danish researchers have eliminated the need for the expensive chemical that other bioengineering methods relied on.

In their experiment, the yeast group’s final production yield was about 627 mg/L of psilocybin and 580 mg/L of psilocin. Although this was less than the group using E. coli, it was also cheaper. There is, however, another limitation of this method of production; they lost almost half of their product to psilocin. As mentioned before, psilocybin converts into psilocin in the body. It is possible the experimental conditions that this group is working with were too similar to conditions in the human gut. Even when the group tried to control the pH of the experiment, they still produced the same high levels of psilocin.

It seems that the mushrooms are defending their turf fairly well from their magic becoming someone's intellectual property. And still no word about baeocystin, which is also psychoactive.

On the other hand, this was intriguing:

One of the most remarkable features of this type of synthetic biology approach is the ability to create molecules that are normally impossible to chemically synthesize in a lab environment, or even those that are new to nature. These molecules could also hold clinical significance and be relevant to treatment of many of the same diseases. By manipulating the pathway used previously to create psilocybin and psilocin, the group was able to create high yields of intermediates – molecular steps on the way to the final product – in the pathway.

Out of the many different intermediates, of particular interest is the production of psychedelic components of different mushroom species, such as the chemical aeruginascin from the mushroom Inocybe aeruginascens, as well as a variety of tryptamine derivatives which are also psychoactive.

I'm not sure what it all means other than this kind of research is likely to continue. We might see mushrooms remain illegal while patented psilo-pills are prescribed in clinical settings. We might also see the invention of novel tryptamine-based psychedelics, too. Assuming society remains intact long enough for the science to get there, of course.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!