26 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

First time moving to grain from cakes. 

Tried to follow Doc's WBS TEK to the letter. My lids are different and I feel like my grain was a touch over hydrated.

Gonna post some pics and document my attempt here and hopefully gets some insight and help along the way.

Thanks in advance!

Goin into the PC.

IMG_8294.JPG IMG_8295.JPG IMG_8296.JPG IMG_8297.JPG

Inoculated on the Dec 1st using a spore syringe from a vendor on IG, cube variety 'Blue Magnolia'.

Used 1cc per jar and did not shake jars after inoc as I over thought and didn't check the TEK doc.

All 4 have started growth, with two of them shoqwing myc on the top and at the bottom which seems liek a good to me. :)

First sign of myc yesterday, these pics are today.

IMG_8416.JPG IMG_8413.JPG IMG_8414.JPG

• wharfrat and RutgerHauer like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

I like to see someone who also carefully labels their jars, thought I like to keep sight of the whole jar and put my labels on top.. Hope they do well for you, the mushrooms, not the labels.

Doesn't matter if you didn't shake by the way, you can still do that later.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 07 December 2019 - 05:21 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#3 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

nice mug! :biggrin:

• adrian118 likes this

#4 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

Just wondering, did you pick anything out of the mix or just use straight up. I know from reading that you don't need to and people are 50/50 on the idea. Just curious for my own thoughts. Good luck an better vibes for the grow !!
  • adrian118 likes this

#5 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:49 PM

Amped313, I removed all the 'floaters' per the TEK. Which was basically all the black sunflower seeds and a bunch of other random stuff.

I used "Kaytee WBS Basic Blend", this is what they had at Target. It seemed to have A LOT of cracked corn in it as you might see in the pics. This I think isn't ideal...? but as to what you said about different opinions on what to remove, I sure itll all be fine in the end. WBS is basically jus a mix of different grain/seeds or whatever it seems... all of which may likely be used on their own if wished. 

• Amped313 likes this

#6 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:33 PM

Sweet. True true. Someone is doing something similar to that effect. Might be Macguyver not sure though, but they are trying individual seeds and grain s. Be interesting to see those results..lol. I later

#7 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 140 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:00 AM

The cracked corn isn’t really ideal, but it should probably work, it
just makes it too starchy and sticky. I used to use a no corn blend when I used wbs, it is much easier to stick with a single grain but the wbs is definitely a lot more cost efficient.

#8 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

When I was prepping my WBS I used a strainer while they were still dry first, this got rid of most of the seeds, tiny sticks, and some of the larger corn pieces. Depends on the size of the strainer though. still had some smaller floaters, but not nearly as many. I'm thinking about switching to a single grain (probably rye berries) for my next batch, just looking for a cheap option.

Wasn't me that was trying individual seeds, but now that you mention it I did save the seeds that I separated, might be worth a try so they don't go to waste!

Edited by macgyver, 08 December 2019 - 01:32 PM.

#9 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

Things are moving right along.

Working with grain is so much fun, being able to see the myc growing so visibly and especially at the top where its reaching into the air. VERY COOL!

Also am I seeing different myc types here.. rhizomorph and whats the other cottony type named?

IMG_8437.JPG IMG_8438.JPG

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,915 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

The cracked corn isn’t really ideal, but it should probably work, it
just makes it too starchy and sticky. I used to use a no corn blend when I used wbs, it is much easier to stick with a single grain but the wbs is definitely a lot more cost efficient.

The cracked corn isn't any starchier than popcorn which is used regularly... I have had no issues with cracked corn in a WBS mix... I think I remember reading something about using cracked corn and having it become mushy, though I can't envision this... Cracked corn has been used alone by some people with success though it is not considered the ideal grain.

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,915 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

Just wondering, did you pick anything out of the mix or just use straight up. I know from reading that you don't need to and people are 50/50 on the idea. Just curious for my own thoughts. Good luck an better vibes for the grow !!

I don't bother removing any of the sunflower seeds when I use WBS... I try to choose a WBS that has few or no sunflower seeds when possible but when I do have a brand that includes them, I just throw them in the jar with the rest. The theoretical reason for not using them is that they are potentially an avenue for contamination because they do not colonize properly... Also, I imagine, the shell may provide some protection from full sterilization...

I have had very few instances where I had issues I could attribute to the sunflower seeds not being removed. I am not sure I can even think of one... Years ago, I would rinse the seed and skim the sunflower seeds off the top but I stopped doing that a long time ago. I have seen little or no difference in my results since skipping that step.

Edited by PJammer24, 11 December 2019 - 04:39 PM.

• adrian118 likes this

#12 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

Getting there!

Can we talk opinions on shaking? 

These jars have not been shaken once. My plan was to shake them once around 80% colonized.

There are a lot of different views on this... is it that big of a deal really? 

IMG_8444.JPG

• RutgerHauer likes this

#13 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:01 PM

My experience with corn was that it took up too much moisture and was a contam. risk, but that's a matter of proportion & how you prepped your WBS.

My method is:

- Rinse WBS in a colander with nylon mesh to catch the little bits

- Boil a few minutes

- Cover with at least an inch of water, cover, refrigerate until next evening

- Add more water if needed, stir, bring to boil again, stir

- Empty into strainer again, let drain 45 minutes

- Load into jars for PC process, etc.

I would be tempted to shake your jars, but it might be too far along for it to work? The colonized areas may resist breaking up to mix.

What I would do is, check the bottoms for your jars and check moisture content. If notable, then shake your jars to prevent the bottoms from staying soggy and being an issue later.

• adrian118 likes this

#14 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:06 PM

So I went ahead and gave them a shake right now. Was pretty difficult tbh.

I ended up with two almost golf ball size chunks in each jar basically that I coudlnt get to break up. 

#15 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:06 PM

So one of my jars is jus doing its own thing.

As i said above, it was pretty difficult to get these to break up and was left with basically two large clumps in a couple of them. The rest of the jars recovered super fast. 

IMG_8462.JPG IMG_8463.JPG IMG_8464.JPG

• RutgerHauer and Amped313 like this

#16 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:28 PM

Well, 3 of 4 is pretty good with a process oops? =)

From here in, right after inoculation & the hole being sealed, shake well to spread at that time.

• adrian118 likes this

#17 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

Those 3 look great !! What about putting the 4th in an area that's warmer? Do you think that may help ? Just spit balling.
  • adrian118 likes this

#18 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

Mixed in the 3 colonized jars Friday into some Damion5050 Tek substrate. Not the spawn/sub ratio i was hoping for but we'll see whats happens.

Heres my tub, no holes. Will report back next Friday when I check it out. 

IMG_8622.JPG

Then blasted open the 4th jar trying to break up the mega myc ball in the middle, that was a first. Wish I had a pic of it but there was glass everywhere and I couldn't get to my phone lol

Edited by adrian118, 31 December 2019 - 12:10 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#19 Amped313

Amped313

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:10 AM

No holes ... love it. Poor 4th jar. Hopefully no cuts, Happy happy vibes for Friday !!!!!!
  • adrian118 likes this

#20 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:11 AM

Thanks Amped313! 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!