• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Someday I will try Agar,but I haven't a clue how to get my hands on it,and it's not on my ''thirst thing to do'' list...
All went very good and the clones are now spawned/cased and in the incubator, I think I will see some shrooms in two days or so !
I have some Viets pinning at this moment too,no big flush but very,very healthy shrooms.. with the double layer casing !
Pictures soon !

Thats cool. Just FYI, though: I recommend sporeworks (a myco vendor) or check the agar vaults.

With your skills, Space, you would be sure to teach us a thing or two about agar in no time!

#42 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

OK my bad...for some reason i was thinking you transfered your grains to more popcorn like with a "Faht" type clone method ,,Now i realize u just went directly to full grain jarzzzz...

#43 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

Okay..I think cloning these Florida's hasn't worked...

In the first flush I got 2 tiny shrooms that were so small I couldn't even weight them ! lol
Still waiting for a secend flush..maybe it got contaminated...

I have some Viets in the same incubator and those are doing fine and are in there second flush.
So it does not have somthing to do with my new heater,..that thing is working great..altho I have to ad alot of water to the casings (20 -30ml) everyday...

.. a little of tread..I'm thinking of making some small holes at the bottom of the casing trays ,so I can submerge them shortly in some water for a quick dunk !
Has anyone tried this methode ?

#44 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

I have to sadly report that my own clone experiment hasn't worked.
What appeared to be healthy myc was transfered to spawn jars. However bacteria which must have ridden along with the myc made its presence felt near full colonization.

I plan to make further experiments with 6% and 35% H2O2.
Another approach may be to transfer the stem sections to a liquid culture containing a bacteriacide like gentamicine.

#45 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

[quote name='mycot']I have to sadly report that my own clone experiment hasn't worked.
What appeared to be healthy myc was transfered to spawn jars. However bacteria which must have ridden along with the myc made its presence felt near full colonization.

quote]

You too Mycot ! :cry:
Sorry to hear that,.. I wanted to see some results.

Well your not alone,I had the same problem..bacteria

Better luck next time !

#46 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

Well its all quite new experimental research.
At least we're finding out what does and doesn't work so that others may benefit.

#47 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

Further experiments done with stem peices soaked for 5 minutes in 6% H2O2 and placed on agar substitute. Bacterial problems still evident.Makes one wonder at what concentration and timespan H2O2 will function as an effective bacteriacide. Also considering experiments using bleach.

#48 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

Maybe clones are just weak...
Making a fully colonized corn jar with a clone is easy,but if you try to make a casing out of it...bad luck..contams happen !

#49 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

Peroxide should be effective with the bacteria, but it will not do anything to harm molds that could be growing on the mushroom specimen you're using.

#50 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

very good thred spacecake! :eusa_clap Im a little too busy to share my experience atm, but I'll be back checkin out this thred for any more updates:headbang: goodluk foster

#51 slacker

slacker

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I've had no problem using 3% peroxide for pan clones. Perhaps you're getting contams from somewhere else in your procedure (?).
An easy method I use is cloning into LC and inoculating pf jars and then onto pasteurized manure. Pans work better on grains when using clones rather than multispore since they don't tend to stall as easily. I never have enough space to utilize 7 colonized jars of grains and find I can grow more than enough using the easier pf jar method.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!