12 replies to this topic

#1 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

I am starting to mess with this cool new species. I received the spore print a few weeks ago, and made a spore syringe. I wish I took some swaps to put dry spores to agar first, but oh well.

I have started 3 agar plates with the hydrated spores (something I rarely have luck with), and also shot a few CCs into a WBS jar.

Can anyone offer some tips on getting this off the ground? I'm not really sure about the growth time frame, and other things I should watch out for. If any one can share from personal experience or post some helpful links to prior posts, or other useful literature on Reishi I would appreciate it!

• Phish and Thacan like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 870 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

i am reasurching/seeking a good  source of spores or culture and want to also try lions mane

GOOD LUCK

• Moonless and macgyver like this

#3 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Gold VIP
  • 56 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

Try this. It’s a substrate recipe I made up a few years ago and has proven results by many, time and time again —

Here is a recipe that has worked well for me .I'm sure it could be improved in time, but it's a winner and it works just the way it is. I dont use Vermiculite and I dont use wood chips.Just wood pellets,Gypsum,and Rice Bran or Wheat Bran

This will make 13 lbs. of substrate which will provide enough sub for 2 - 5 lb. blocks and 1- 3 lb. block (with a little left to toss to the mushroom gods ) that will all fit in my 23 qt pressure cooker nicely.

So...enough with the bullshit,lets get started ;)

In a 5 gallon pail, add-

10 ozs.- Garden Gypsum (fill qt.jar to just above 8 oz. line)

3- Topped off quart jars of Premium Hardwood Fuel Pellets.(60 ozs. total net wt.)

Mix these together by hand a little bit and then add-

1 gallon - Distilled Water ( less 6 ozs) because moisture content is critical here. I'll explain in a bit.

Now get the ol ladys' big long fuggin spoon and mix that shit up some just to get it all nice and wet.It's all gonna break up real fast.BOOM...instant sawdust. Throw a top on it or a couple towels to prevent any evaporation and let it sit for 12 hours or so.I like to give it a stir every few hours just because of water settling a little....But puddling water is fine ,our bran will absorb it .PERFECTLY

After your 12 hour soak,give it one more good stir cuz its time to add the nutes.I like Rice Bran but Wheat Bran will work also.You can get this at any health food store.

Fill a qt. jar up to the bottom of the threads (14 ozs.) with Rice Bran and sprinkle it on top of your sawdust to cover it and smush it into the mix.Turn it a bit and keep doing that till its gone. I tip my bucket at an angle to be sure to stir it up good and evenly. It's gonna take some arm work.(Remember way back when, when you smushed your brf into your moistened verm for those PF cakes?)
Same thing here .

Now we start filling bags.I use 8" gusseted autoclavable ( 5 micron filter patch) grow bags that I get from a non-sponsor.Fill your bags with sub and dry fit them in your pc to be sure they'll fit.I stand mine up on end..Dont jam pack your pc you can always split your bags up and run a 2nd campaign tomorrow with the rest of your substrate .

When youre happy with your bag level ,fold it over itself and seal it up good with Scotch Brand Heavy Duty Shipping Packing Tape.Its great shit and will hold up to the heat .Careful how you tape it up because you have to cut it away in order to add your spawn and you dont want to butcher up your bag SO BE CAREFUL AND PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL

;)
Toss a few jar rings in the bottom of your pc and put your rack in.I like the rings in there because I put someextra water in it ........for a 2 hour sterilization.

So......get your Pressure Cooker started up and when your rocker starts to roll , turn your heat down to where you want it ,set your timer for 2 hours.When your time is up,shut the heat off and leave it alone.I dont ever open my PC for at least 12 hours and sometimes as long as 2 days.

Spawning to Substrate

So at this point,you've got your sterilized substrate and hopefully some colonized spawn to dump into it.I take a Xacto knife and carefully cut the tape (all this is done under sterile conditions in a sterile as possible environment naturally) across the bag ,without damaging it .If you happen to damage the bag,this tape works well to patch it up. Once ive got my bag tape cut away ,I fold the top 1 " over a couple times and clamp it with 2 or 3 clothespins.NOW, you start to fluff up your sub.Squeeze it and flluff it all up nice nice.When its all broken up your ready to spawn.

Now,how much spawn you add to your bags is up to you.You probably dont NEED this much but I add about a jar of colonized spawn to each 4-5 lb bag ( jars are 2/3 full ) .Works for me and colonizes nice and quick.

Having just broken up your spawn ,open your bag and quickly dump your jar in, clothespin it shut again and mix it all together nice and evenly.

Now throw that shit in your IC at 70-80F.I hold steady at 77F.Hericium Erinaceous (Lions Mane ) should colonize completely in about 5-6 weeks.Lentinula Edodes ( Shiitake ) takes longer for me,6-8 weeks or so.

Both of these strains fruit best at 60-70F.I had a fuck of a time struggling to reach these temperatures in the middle of August72F96D00-FF00-4FD4-8855-D29323E22A3E.jpeg 74FD0862-880E-4D82-BCD2-CD1D689DF0BA.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• 7D8CD067-377D-4CF2-9A9D-E399165430CE.jpeg

Edited by Phish, 08 December 2019 - 08:43 PM.

• Skywatcher, Aur, Mushinist and 5 others like this

#4 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Gold VIP
  • 56 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:36 PM

Of course you need to get your grain spawn up and colonized beforehand. I’ve been using Pennington’s Wild Bird Seed from that big box store (where my truck seems to draw grocery carts to it wherever I park) since forever, and the Reishi eats it up with a quickness.
  • Pakil and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

Awesome, thank you for taking the time to write that up... Just what I needed. I'm on day 5 of my WBS jar with no sign of growth. Hoping to see some germination in my agar plates so I can get going. I will definitely be revisiting this tek when it comes time to prepare the bulk sub.

This is my first time trying to germinate spores on WBS so maybe I am just being impatient.

I've had good luck going from spore syringe to Liquid Culture, is that something that I can do with Reishi as well? If so I will get that started tomorrow!

#6 Windthot

Windthot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Good thread. And thanks for the recipe Phish!

#7 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

No luck starting it out on agar, or in a WBS jar. Inoculated 2 liquid cultures about 4 days ago, hopefully I will have some success with that. I placed a drop of my spore syringe onto a microscope slide and was dismayed to see a very low spore count! Maybe this is part of the reason that this beautiful mushroom is so difficult to grow?

Cubensis drop under the scope:

GTSpores.jpg
Reishi drop under the scope:
0012.jpg

Both drops looked rich in their respective color :(

If anyone knows whether this is typical for Reishi that would be good to know, if not, I may contact the vendor and try to get a replacement.

Edited by macgyver, 02 January 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#8 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Gold VIP
  • 56 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

No luck starting it out on agar, or in a WBS jar. Inoculated 2 liquid cultures about 4 days ago, hopefully I will have some success with that. I placed a drop of my spore syringe onto a microscope slide and was dismayed to see a very low spore count! Maybe this is part of the reason that this beautiful mushroom is so difficult to grow?
Cubensis drop under the scope:

Reishi drop under the scope:

Both drops looked rich in their respective color :(
If anyone knows whether this is typical for Reishi that would be good to know, if not, I may contact the vendor and try to get a replacement.

Hey Mac, sorry for the long delay in getting back here. You said you began with a spore print , with which you made a ms syringe. Most often , the spores will cling to the sides of the syringe. Your lack of visible spores on your slide might likely be a result of those “clingy spores”.
I always shake the living hell out of any spore syringe before noccing up anything. I bang it on the back of my hand too.
Idk if you did any of that but idt a vendor would replace a sporeprint.
A good Reishi culture will colonize an LC solution like you’ve never seen. Quick,thick and bodacious as hell !!
Shake that syringe up good and with a sterile needle, shoot a 1 ml booster into those existing LC jars you have, assuming they are still crystal clear and visibly contamination free

Edited by Phish, 02 January 2020 - 05:20 PM.

#9 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

I just received 2 new prints from the vendor a few days ago, and put a swab to agar yesterday! I'm much more confident in this approach, and the prints that I received were MUCH better this time around! Hopefully I am on my way to a successful grow.

• Moonless likes this

#10 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

Sorry to hijack, magyver, Phish - your reishi look great! I’m very new at this, and my vendor sent me reishi and shiitake free with my LC of blue oyster. The reishi is colonizing the fastest and I don’t know what to do! Did you fruit these in a bag with the top cut off? I was thinking either bags or tubs (or some of each?) but then I saw people keeping the bags sealed, in monotubs... and I’ve got too-much-info brain. Advice is more than welcome!

#11 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Gold VIP
  • 56 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Any updates on your project Mac ?

#12 Phish

Phish

PhishPhan

• Gold VIP
  • 56 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:54 AM

Sorry to hijack, magyver, Phish - your reishi look great! I’m very new at this, and my vendor sent me reishi and shiitake free with my LC of blue oyster. The reishi is colonizing the fastest and I don’t know what to do! Did you fruit these in a bag with the top cut off? I was thinking either bags or tubs (or some of each?) but then I saw people keeping the bags sealed, in monotubs... and I’ve got too-much-info brain. Advice is more than welcome!

I’ll send you a PM Pak

#13 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:31 PM

Wow the mycellium runs fast! I used straight up HWP for sub. No SAB yet, but I was careful. Closed the bags with zip ties. the bags are colonizing pretty fast.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!