• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:15 PM

So, I wanted to start a new topic where I can share my stuff on my grows. I had some other topics going but since that was a while ago and I have been through some changes I figured, let me start a new one so to keep all my progress in one place. It feels like a new start for me, where I don't want to cut corners on my projects anymore.

For ease of writing this up I will use quarts as a measurement of bigger volumes, but actually if I were to be accurate I would have to write down liters. It's close enough. For precise measurements I will use milliliters.

In the past I would write down every little thing, idea and hypothesis down in my personal log, but I am not doing that anymore. I only write down facts and dates, and notes of developments out of the ordinary. I keep a much smaller notebook now to keep my log data such as dates, materials used and yields - I have a bigger one to write up ideas and plans but since I don't want to overthink as much as in the past that will stay empty for the most part. My recipes are nice and tidy in digital form so I can reproduce them any time.

-

Let's start at the beginning. In the beginning of October I started with two fresh Liquid Cultures made with Malt Extract, Dextrose and a pinch of Agar-agar. I have several varieties of Cubensis in my fridge in spore vials, and picked two at random to use: The Colombian variety and B+.

I inoculated the LCs of both approximately 125ml with 1ml of spore solution and let it colonize for about a month. My temperatures were fluctuating a lot, especially at night it got down to as low as 60°F/16°C. That might have slowed it down a bit, but it was no problem. I tested those LCs on agar late October and they were both clean - and I was happy. They went into cold storage on the 2nd of November.

The 8th and 9th of November I prepped the rye (24 hour soak starting with hot water and after that simmered for 10 minutes). In the evening of the 9th I used the LCs to inoculate six half quart jars of rye with 2ml of LC in each jar. That was the plan, at least. I double-inoculated one of the B+ jars because I got them mixed up in my SAB, the one that I forgot because of it I redid 5 days later when nothing was happening there. After a week or three of colonizing, this is what they looked like.

20191130_083955.jpg 20191130_083943.jpg

[ B+/Colombian ]

I was worried about the top two jars, and the other ones as well, because I was distracted and thought four weeks had passed already. Seeing the temperature fluctuations there was nothing to worry about in case of the four jars that were getting close to full colonization now. The other two jars I shook as to make them catch up, to no avail. That B+ I inoculated later, completely stalled and the Colombian recovered eventually, but that took a while. I now believe my rye prep must have been a bit off, they must have been a bit too dry - somebody here gave me a heads up about that. Something I have to work on.

Might as well had to do with gas exchange, since I wasn't using micropore tape, but three layers of a woven type medical tape. Someone pointed this out as well, and I scored a few years worth of micropore tape.

While I let the jars go for a week longer I got the final stuff together to make my fruiting chambers. I had been using propagators in the past with not much luck. I had come across 12 quart transparent buckets and acquired four of them. The dimensions were so that they are relatively high in relation to the surface area of the bottom, so it would be perfect to put substrates of 3 to 4 quarts in there, and have plenty of room for the fruits to grow up.

I drilled 6 holes of 1cm / 3/8 inches in every bucket: two below, just above the substrate and four near the top. I also painted the bottom parts up until about 1/3 of the bucket black. I knew of the fact this was not necessary, but I figured it will help me with achieving better pinsets.

This is how they turned out:

PSX_20191210_173410.jpg

The day after I finished the bucket modifications I got to spawning two jars of each variety into substrates of roughly 3-3.5 quarts. To prep the substrate I hydrated a quarter of a coco coir brick with one quart of hot water, that quarter brick was supposed to expand to about 2 or 2.5 quarts. After that had cooled down and steamed off, I would say 10 minutes, I added 2.5 quarts of vermiculite and mixed thoroughly. The mix was not yet up to field capacity, but almost there. I added 100ml of cold water, mixed it in and checked for field capacity. It was almost there and added another 50ml of cold water, which did the trick.

I know this isn't the usual way to go about things when using coco+verm substrates, but I chose to be safe and sterilize them in half quart jars. The 5 or 6 quarts of substrate I could fit into 8 jars, which just about fit in my pressure cooker.

After the cool down, I had 4 jars of substrate for 2 jars of colonized rye grain. I broke up the grains whacking the jars on my rolled up workout mat (it's useful for something again, finally) and mixed the two jars with 3.5 jars of substrate, the 0.5 jar I left to sprinkle on top. I put that mix into its bucket, sprinkled the remaining substrate on top, taped the holes on the sides with two layers of micropore tape and repeated the process for the other variety. This was done on the 3rd of December.

At this point I changed my room temperature to always remain around 21.5°C/70°F.

20191203_232509.jpg PSX_20191203_234503.jpg

The 9th of December it all looked to go very well, the mycelium was growing rapidly.

PSX_20191209_151923.jpg PSX_20191209_152105.jpg

[ B+/Colombian ]

Today on the 10th, on the 7th day of colonizing the substrate I switched on my light at a 12/12 cycle and removed the second layer of micropore to increase airflow.

The next post about this on will hopefully be one where there will be some pins to see.

Hope to be back before Christmas for that.

-

I have 8, really full jars going for round two and the other two buckets I prepared. The rye is much more hydrated last time, I hope not too much. This time I did not simmer after the 24 hour soak, but boiled.

So far after three days they are doing okay, not much to show off yet.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 December 2019 - 01:28 PM.

• adrian118, ElPirana, Stencill86 and 1 other like this

#2 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:13 PM

I like the buckets, is there a specific benefit for these over the more commonly used tubs?

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:02 PM

No not necessarily I think. I have some 60 or maybe 70 quart tubs lying around but don't want to go big right away, seems less risky since I'm starting back at zero so to speak.

I had lost a big grow due to contamination. In my previous grows I have had different not-so-ideal setups: tray in tub with the lid flipped for FAE and a tray inside a propagator with big open vents, a propagator inside a tub... I was thinking of all the ways to go wrong. Those were typical examples of: I think I know what to do let's just do what I think is okay. In general there was lack of FAE or too much FAE in all those setups. It could have worked maybe but they were never a closed off environment, just open holes or lids without any filter - I lived in a filthy house and prepared my grains and substrates too wet. All very good things for contaminants to flourish.

The reason I bought the buckets is that I somehow came up with it, that it would be nice to grow in a bucket because it would be small and easy to modify and would basically function the same way as a tub. I found some real quick and they were cheap enough to buy some and try it out. They are used for packaging food so they aren't the heavy duty type buckets, but they are buckets. I like to say bucket.

I found out later online that there was already such a thing as a bucket TEK.

They do have handles, easy to carry around. Is that a benefit?

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 December 2019 - 04:07 PM.

#4 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:18 PM

Handles are a plus lol, I haven't done it yet but I just know I'm going to drop a tub.

70 Quart is huge! My biggest has been 50-55 I believe. Low success rate though. I've started gravitating towards 6QTs, to reduce the impact when one does contaminate. I think going with your gut for container type is a good move, if there is one thing I could tell my self when I first started is start small and graduate a step at a time. Still don't have things dialed in perfectly but the results are steadily getting better due to experimentation. I'm looking forward to seeing how these buckets work for you.

I have a few extra 5 gallons laying around, might give it a try. They are not transparent though, which is pretty important to me. I'll probably tape my 6QTs like you did for these buckets, don't like liners and I'm seeing my first side pins this time around.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

People will tell you for sure that taping the sides won't work to eliminate side pins. I think it will help to let those side pins grow upwards, but I am not sure of it. Maybe I'll have side pins anyhow. That would be no disaster, I won't have to try that again then.

The bucket TEK I found online was exactly because the guy had some buckets around. He did not drill any holes in them and used shower caps to cover them up.

plastic-shower-cap-transparent-shower-cap-disposable.jpg_350x350.jpg

• macgyver likes this

#6 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:47 PM

I was thinking about black paint on the sides, tape seems like it would do the same thing pretty much. Maybe experimenting time?

I'll set some grain jars aside next time around to try out a bucket - always looking for new methods to improve the process. Buckets would be more efficient spatially for me too.

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

Tape should do the same thing as paint yes, if it doesn't let through any light. You'll have to get the paint that will stick to plastic, I have found that out before when I spray painted a transparent tray black with a random paint. It stuck for a while but I had it sitting in water once and it all came off. I won't be doing that again although this paint job should hold up better.

Maybe you could try tape first, you can always remove that. I could have done that too, but I had nothing really better to do so I went for it. We will see if it is worth anything.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 December 2019 - 04:56 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#8 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:11 PM

If you want to reduce side-pins, it’s better to use a liner. Painting the bucket black or adding tape won’t solve the problem. With a liner, the sub will stick to the liner and as it shrinks the liner will move with the sub. Without the liner, you have a gap between the sub and tub where pins can easily form. The only time I don’t use a liner is when fruiting in very small tubs like 1 qt size. All my monotubs and dubtubs have had liners with great success.
  • Cuboid likes this

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

Yeah yeah I knew that was coming and said so a few posts ago. Thanks a lot for that.

I don't mind side pins, just want them to grow up, not down.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 December 2019 - 06:21 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#10 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

Yeah yeah I knew that was coming and said so a few posts ago. Thanks a lot for that.

I don't mind side pins, just want them to grow up, not down.

Sorry, I read through the posts pretty quickly, just trying to help. I really don’t care so much about side pins either, except that they can be more difficult to harvest on a larger tub so in that case I try to avoid it.
  • RutgerHauer and macgyver like this

#11 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:25 PM

My best tub had a liner but it was a real PITA. Made it easy to clean after but not worth the effort of taping etc etc. Side pinning is not a big issue yet. have a few here and there, but nothing that would make me want to waste 30 minutes rigging the liner, and another 20 afterwards trying to remove the tape from the bin. I'm probably making it more difficult then it needs to be but eh.

#12 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

My thought of painting it black is just more about giving the mushrooms more direction and contrast in the whole process, if that makes sense. That's why I also chose to put on the light above the buckets, other than a little ambient light, later in the process. I think it can help, if I imagine to be a mushroom I would want to go towards that light, that's the best place to drop your spores. I know they also sense gravity and use that as guidance, but I don't know how to work gravity. I figure every little thing to help them make sense of where they are at and where they need to go is best. Just like we don't trust our eyes if our ears hear something different, it is better to sync them up to make sense.

Liners don't seem like fun to me either macgyver. The two semi-okay trays I fruited were opaque and had no real side pins until the second or third flush, when the substrate had shrunk. At that point it is still easy to pick them if they grow upwards in a reasonable way.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 10 December 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#13 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:58 PM

Very nice man! Thanks for sharing, I like the nicely organized grow log! Can’t wait to see some progress.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#14 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:14 AM

There is some really great progress with my next jars of rye inoculated with these same species. A week has gone by now and they are going much quicker than last round - or any jars I have done in general!

I cannot be certain what makes the difference, because I have changed several things here since last time which I think all have influence.

• Grain prep / more hydration by a better soak and boil in stead of simmer. (used a thermometer to confirm temperature, my 'simmer' might have always been inadecuate)

• Gas exchange / 2 layers micropore tape in stead of 3 layers woven medical tape + removing the lid off of the box that contains the jars.

• Light / I used to put them in a closed off opaque styrofoam box, now I leave the lid off so they can get a circadian rhythm going from ambient light.

• Temperatures / Last time I turned down my heating at night since I thought the styrofoam box that contained the jars should keep the temperatures up for the night - I tested this with a thermometer and found out that this wasn't really the case and temperatures rise and fall with the surrounding area pretty quickly. Now I keep my temperature around 21.5°C/70.7°F continually.

The Colombian variety is now almost at the point of that previous picture, only now 2 or maybe 3 times as fast. (I have been torturing the mycelium all along!) Not as consolidated, I figured because that will take more time. I see some more dark spots against the glass, but I think that might just be part of the grain pressing against it, because I packed the jars so tight. No visible moisture.

PSX_20191213_100522.jpg PSX_20191213_100941.jpg

[B+/Colombian]

In some jars there are some spots where less of the rye has been reached by the mycelium, so I am thinking about giving them all a shake, although they are coming along pretty quick by themselves.

Cheers

Edited by RutgerHauer, 13 December 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#15 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

Had completely misinterpreted another thing about this growing thing, about the micropore tape I've seen on many tubs.

I saw that moisture in my buckets was mostly collecting on the sides and lid the past week - I have had to remove some of the water that started to pool on the sides of the sub because of it with a clean paper towel.

I figured I need more FAE. I started fanning lightly twice a day the day before yesterday and removed some of the tape on the holes on top. I didn't care to remove them all because I thought they needed to function as a filter like on jars. Had not considered the fact that it was mainly used to reduce FAE.. Just yesterday evening I figured out that at this stage that it is probably not necessary to filter as long as my room is reasonably clean, and went ahead and took them all off.

It might be just coincidence or good timing, but just today I see some primordia starting to form in my B+ bucket! It

Will take a pic and share in a few days.

-

My jars are doing great as well, getting pretty close, I think a few more days to a week and they will be done. A huge difference compared to the last run, due some changes I made mentioned above.

All good! Learning as we grow.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 14 December 2019 - 05:11 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#16 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:05 AM

Just caught some critter jumping up and down on one of my buckets, trying to reach for the light above.. I possibly brought it in yesterday from a walk, remember stepping in some mossy gunk, and a few minutes later a dog jumped on my leg, so that could be were it got on me. Or probably none of this happened and it got in some other way. Who knows?

First thought because of the jumping and the dog thing was fleas! :ohmy: Second thought was, it probably is just some other thing like a springtail. It was hard to kill, tough fucker - but it is dead now and in my vacuum cleaner.

What an adventure, hehe.. Hope it was just one - bugs are not welcome here!

-

Just wanted to check back in on the colonization of my jars as well, most of them are as good as fully colonized, some others have some more ground to cover.
They really are going three times faster than last round, that is something I'm very pleased with!

PSX_20191216_125058.jpg PSX_20191216_125011.jpg
[B+/Colombian] 10th day since inoculation

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 December 2019 - 07:48 AM.

• ElPirana likes this

#17 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

Those look really good! Are those pasta sauce jars?

#18 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:43 PM

No, no pasta sauce jars. Just bought them clean, new.

I once cleaned out a pasta sauce jar, which I then decided to use to put my dose of dried shrooms in I was going to make into a tea the next day. That rubber seal on the underside of the lid apparently wasn't real clean so some of the aromas and moisture got into my shrooms. It stunk real hard when boiling that tea! A real foul smell. I still drank it and it did the job. :tongue:

Will never use any second hand jars that contained food again for any part of this hobby, you will never get them fully clean when the lids have that rubber seal and food has been in there for a while or the empty jar has been sitting around for some time. I don't trust it.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 December 2019 - 12:47 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#19 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:26 AM

I'm still waiting on my buckets to start pinning - a lot of knots forming all over the two buckets, they might just be a bit slow - perhaps because I wasn't using the healthiest spawn and a low ratio. Especially the Colombian variety is taking its time. It's on the 16th day since spawning now.

PSX_20191219_091936.jpg PSX_20191219_092052.jpg

[B+/Colombian]

My new jars are now all covered in white, healthy and ready to spawn tonight. Most of them have been ready for a few days but I was waiting for some to finish up, They were just about to hit the two week mark tomorrow.

B+ is showing quite some rhizo already. (the Colombian genetics don't seem to go rhizo, even in my buckets)

PSX_20191219_091043.jpg

For the substrate prep I can be practical and cut my previous recipe in half. The spawn ratio will be much higher since all four jars made it in stead of two out of three last time: should be getting about two thirds of spawn in there: 2 quarts of spawn for both varieties.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 19 December 2019 - 09:36 AM.

• adrian118 and ElPirana like this

#20 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

That was the most satisfactory spawn ever! Smashed up these jars real good but could not break it all up, so had to finish it up by hand. Had never felt the texture of colonized chunks of rye before, it felt like rubber, strong and a bit sticky.

I have faith in this run.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 19 December 2019 - 08:24 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!