• RutgerHauer likes this

#22 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:57 AM

I see a lot of knots in that first bucket pic! should be really nice any day now...

• RutgerHauer likes this

#23 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 December 2019 - 02:17 AM

I have been noticing a pattern in my buckets: I see spots on both sides of them, where the bottom holes are located. Two dark spots where the mycelium doesn't seem to like it very much and some thickening of the mycelium around those spots. Is that what is called matting?

I am not sure what that indicates, maybe someone can help me out with that - I was thinking it may be a bit too dry there because of the FAE that increased ever since I removed all of the micropore tape. Would like to know whether my thinking is correct here.

I put some micropore tape over those holes again, so I hope that will help surface conditions, but it might be too late to really 'fix' the pin set. On my next run I will just keep it on near the substrate, and take them off on top.

I have seen more tubs online where people regulate airflow on the bottom holes of the tub and leave the top ones open. This might just be the reason why.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 20 December 2019 - 07:28 AM.

#24 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:00 AM

A small informational update on agar in LCs:

I have been making four new liquid cultures with different strains: Albino A+, Panaeolus Cyanescens, Golden Teacher and Mazatapec.

I had previously put some agar in my LCs but because I hadn't measured it out I wasn't sure exactly how much to add (I had made a note in my recipe to add <0.5 grams to 250ml of LC - I got to this number by weighing another guessed amount of agar).

It might be helpful for others who want to go this route with their LCs to have that experimental data.

The first two I made the day before yesterday. It had turned out perfect before with guesswork, but this time I added too much: I added 0.4 grams of agar to 200ml of LC like my note said. It wasn't too much in the sense that it solidified, but the liquid is really thick now, not ideal to stir without a magnetic stirrer.

Yesterday I did another two LCs from 200ml, and halved the agar added: 0.2 grams. It turned out much better, but still a little thicker than I would have liked. I think 0.1 grams to 200ml is a good amount to aim for next time to have the benefit of the agar while still having a thin mix.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 22 December 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#25 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:37 AM

Tiny update on tiny mushrooms..

It has been seven days since my Colombian variety started pinning, and it is developing a lot of mushrooms, though tiny. This might have something to do with the low spawn to sub ratio. I can see the effect of the two matted parts and know now why and how to avoid it in my next grows.

PSX_20191228_122616.jpg

[Colombian]

The B+ variety was behind a bit and started pinning five days ago and it is showing significantly less mushroom formation, though they tend to be a bit bigger compared to the Colombian variety. They however are showing mostly mutants, weird deformed mushrooms and big fuzzy feet. I will pin it on bad genetics. I have had weird first flushes from spores of different varieties of the same manufacturer and think they just sell bad genetics.

PSX_20191228_122322.jpg

[B+]

I probably could have been misting a bit more on both of the varieties, started doing that a bit too late - still have to get a feel for maintaining good surface conditions.

-

I will have some work to do before I can select some good genetics out of this multispore mess. I don't think I will be cloning just yet until I see some results that I like.

The next buckets are now in fruiting conditions since yesterday and will probably have a week or two to go before they will start pinning. Looking forward to seeing the results of those, I am hoping for improvement.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 December 2019 - 06:58 AM.

• FunG likes this

#26 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

Well you succeeded! Think the low amount of pins has anything to do with the environment? maybe airflow?

• RutgerHauer likes this

#27 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

Well the areas where the pins are not forming is because of the sub drying out there, the spots of matted mycelium formed exactly at those positions I drilled the holes near the surface of the sub. You can see in the previous pictures that those areas were dark and mycelium didn't grow well there. After I corrected for the airflow near the sub the surface grew very thick with mycelium - but it was too late to correct for the uneven pinset.

The Colombian variety is forming mushrooms oll over the rest of the surface. The B+ is just very bad genetics, or there is verticillium in there, but further signs of verticillium other than the deformities are absent.

Also, in both cases, I used spawn that had been: 1. too dry and 2. the mycelium suffocated during colonization, which resulted in delayed colonization, 2 out of 6 jars stalled eventually. That might play bigger parts in this whole thing. I wasn't aware of this fact at the time unfortunately - I had been using a virtually non functioning filter on my spawn jars all this time that hardly let through any air. I have had this issue in all of my previous grows I now realize, so that might explain some of my earlier experiences with weird results from jars that were slow to colonize and practically stalled.

Because I had to ditch 1/3 jars I had to go for a lower spawn to substrate ratio - another factor. There was only 0.8 quart of spawn in both of the buckets to about 2.5 quarts of coco+verm. It is basically the same amount of nutrients you would get if you were to fruit a quart jar, so keeping that in mind it is not weird the shrooms are this small. That all considered I don't think the Colombian variety is doing bad at all!

I don't think dunking these will be worth the trouble. I might just ditch them, or maybe keep misting and fanning and see if some mushrooms will turn up for a second flush. But that might not be worth it except to see if there might be some normal B+ genetics hiding in there.

This is how the Colombian is doing now - there are two shrooms in there that are as good as done, but the rest are a bit behind and will probably have a day or maybe two to go.

PSX_20191229_203641.jpg

-

For the next grows I have lined up I have corrected for the matting problem and the spawn was very healthy and the ratio much higher - my hopes for those are good! I know now not to be afraid of misting and fanning - I had been reluctant with that with these, I hope I can keep conditions more optimal next time.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 29 December 2019 - 03:56 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#28 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

I think your just lacking some serious fae, I would have a lot more/bigger holes in those buckets or just fan them out every chance I can while maintaining the humidity on the walls. Just my opinion tho, I hope you can figure it out bro!

#29 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:45 AM

Thanks for thinking along Stencil, but I think you don't understand my situation fully and your advice is misplaced. You may be right but I am fanning and misting quite a bit more the past days, so I am on that.

If you read my previous comments you see where the small mushrooms come from - I think it is expected considering the unhealthy spawn, low ratio and relatively big surface area. I treated both tubs the same, Colombian is having a great pinset considering, B+ is another story.

We will see how it goes on the next run in a few. I won't be changing much about the setup like drilling more holes before I work with healthier spawn and a higher spawn ratio, and fanning and misting more. That might make the difference. If not, and I have two times the same result then I will probably think about changing the setup.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 30 December 2019 - 03:13 AM.

#30 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:13 AM

The Colombians are doing alright! Slow but steady. Will be harvesting these any day now.

PSX_20191231_110804.jpg

• adrian118 and Alpoehi like this

#31 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:13 AM

Looks very good. Congrats!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#32 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:00 AM

Happy new year!

I just took a little under 100 grams of wet fruits off of my Colombian, that was a few hours of work including cleaning them up. A lot of clustering so that was hard to harvest from a bucket. Scraped and cleaned off the entire surface but harvesting left a messy lumpy substrate.

In the end I flipped the sub using a smaller bucket that I put in there to remove the few side pins I couldn't get to. The bottom was still so clean I thought I'd just put it back into the bucket upside down. Cleaned out the bucket, put the sub back in and misted.

Hope to have another few mushrooms coming off of this, but I am happy with this first flush considering I used only 0.8 quart of spawn. Could have let them go on a bit longer I guess but it's hard to time it right with the variation in there..

(Biggest flush I previously had was 12 grams dry from 3 quarts of straight popcorn sub - way more efficient already)

PSX_20200101_135033.jpg PSX_20200101_134901.jpg

The B+ were a bit behind but I might harvest those tonight. Not expecting a big yield from that, though the shrooms are considerably thicker than the colombian were.

Edit: got 11 dry grams of Colombian in a baggy now. The advantage of small mushrooms is that they dry quickly!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 01 January 2020 - 11:58 AM.

#33 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Have you been using popcorn as your spawn the entire time?

I'm finding with popcorn you need alot more or it to get a decent flush, I would have expected more from 3qts of popcorn.

Dont quote me on what I'm about to tell you but I'm assuming hydrating the popcorn with coffee provides popcorn with more nutrients to use in fruit body production but it's hard for me to say since I used 12L on my current popcorn tub spawned to 1brick coir and it's all ms....maybe it's a placebo effect or something but it didnt hurt the grow to use coffee in the initial soak of the popcorn and the results are amazing so far.

Anyways, thanks for keeping your thread going, I'm always interested in other peoples popcorn grows to see the results.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#34 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Not using popcorn anymore. I used it when I was growing over a year ago, before my hiatus. I then used popcorn because I had been having trouble prepping rye and I had no cheap sources for rye at the time. I the meantime I have been able to find a cheap source for rye and have been using it since I started up again. The rye prep is no issue anymore, I was just doing it all wrong at the time!

When I was using the popcorn I was reluctant to mix it in with other substrate like coco or verm - I was afraid of contaminating it or messing up field capacity and wanted to start out with a 'basic' approach - so I just fruited from a straight popcorn sub with a casing of vermiculite. Little did I know that this resulted in less than ideal conditions for the mushrooms since a grain only substrate is too much sugars and can hold too little moisture. Again, I had been using the wrong kind of medical tape (didn't breathe) at that time so I was also working with less than healthy spawn that was most of the time about to stall just before full colonization. My popcorn prep might have not been ideal as well. All that might explain the little results I got from those projects with 3 quarts of popcorn.

Just finished harvesting and drying the B+, which gave me 9 dried grams. Not as many fruits as the Colombian, but they were a little fatter. Not displeased with that either!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 01 January 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#35 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,547 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:12 AM

What would you say you were doing wrong with the grain Rutger?

#36 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

Well. I started two years ago after reading McKennas Psilocybin Grow Guide. Old info that I think suggests cooking the rye for way too long (and suggests pressure cooking/steam sterilizing for only an hour, using a thick and overly wet casing layer - and more outdated info).

Not sure if I got it from there or actually from the packaging of the rye itself which said how to prepare it - but I boiled the rye for an hour after 24 hours of soaking. Needless to say that that is too much.

The popcorn I assume I have always overcooked as well.

There were many more things about my approach that were off, I will leave it at that.

Lesson learned: don't use old sources and then assume you get the concept - and especially don't improvise on those assumptions.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 02 January 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• flashingrooster likes this

#37 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:28 AM

I decided to dunk my substrates after all. The substrates took up ±200 ml of water after 24 hours which made them weigh just about right. I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it to try for a second flush but we will see and learn.

-

The second round is coming along fine, now on the 16th day after spawning and knots all over the place. This time no dry spots/matting and have been fanning regularly.

PSX_20200105_131559.jpg PSX_20200105_131355.jpg

[B+/Colombian]

-

8 spawn jars for round three are pressure cooking at the moment and will Inoculate layer today - I figure by the time they will be colonized I will have the two buckets of my first round available and can decide then if I need to make some modifications going on my first two grows.

Running out of jars now seeing that I have 12 of them in use for another project, might have to make an order this week. More jars!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 January 2020 - 07:30 AM.

• FunG likes this

#38 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

I have had this stalled/dry jar of spawn from my first round with some vermiculite in a 3 quart jar, to see if it would still produce. The substrate is under a quart in total. The lid lets through some air but the conditions are far from perfect. Probably keeping it a bit too wet as well, but they grow. It's a fun side project to look at while I'm waiting on my buckets to fruit.

PSX_20200108_134400.jpg

Colombian

-

The new buckets started pinning yesterday.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 January 2020 - 08:07 AM.

• adrian118 and Alpoehi like this

#39 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

The second flush is coming in alright for the Colombian variety, not so much for the B+.

You can see the results from scraping and flipping the sub right here - they almost all grew from the sides and two stubborn mushrooms in the middle of the sub. Pretty cool I think, but not something I would repeat. There might be some mushrooms growing beneath the sub, what was first the top. Will harvest later tonight or tomorrow morning, so I'll check that out right then.

PSX_20200112_160631.jpg

-

Funny enough where in my first grow the Colombian did well and the B+ not so well, for my second run they switched sides. The B+ showing quicker and more pin development than the Colombian variety. It really is hit or miss with multispore..!

-

Just cloned these two and taking prints overnight. They grew from the sides so they really didn't look as tall as when I pulled them out. I am curious whether the shape and proportions are due to conditions or if it's a genetic trait.

20200112_224122.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 12 January 2020 - 04:56 PM.

• macgyver likes this

#40 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:19 AM

Final pictures to conclude this second flush:

gallery_158278_3_2633189.jpg

Harvesting these was a breeze! Most mushrooms got stuck together so I could just pluck whole clusters at once. The yield was better than the first flush, even though overall it didn't look it. A lot of mass hidden behind the sub. 130 grams of fresh and clean mushrooms: a 30% increase in yield in comparison to the first flush.

PSX_20200113_120812.jpg

After picking the lonely mushroom in the middle of the sub I used an extra bucket to get the sub out and that made the harvesting pretty easy compared to last time when I had to reach in the tub and pick one mushroom at a time.

PSX_20200113_120501.jpg PSX_20200113_120653.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 13 January 2020 - 06:20 AM.

• wharfrat, flashingrooster and FunG like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!