99 replies to this topic

#41 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

I have never gotten spawn jars done so quick! For my next round, one week after inoculating the spawn jars are fully colonized and I just spawned the same two varieties as before to 11-liter tubs.

Decided not to mod anything on the tubs, we'll see how that goes. The boxes aren't air tight anyway and flipping the lids will do for ' fruiting conditions'. When the mushrooms need extra room in the final few days I have a few extra tubs to do a dub tub.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 13 January 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#42 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:35 PM

looking great  :thumbs_up:

• RutgerHauer likes this

#43 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:51 AM

Here is how my second round of Colombian is doing. I like it.

PSX_20200117_164655.jpg

I start to see the mycelium bruise quite a bit here and there these last few days. Anyone care to share what they think is going on there? Is it drying out or am I misting too much perhaps? (Doing that once or twice a day) or is there nothing wrong? The fruits seem to be doing alright.

Just got a humidifier to bring up humidity in my room a bit, that might be as helpful for me as for the mushrooms.

Cheers!

• macgyver likes this

#44 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

My B+ was ready to harvest, the substrate covered in mushrooms, all very short - in between one and two inches.. I could fit the whole first flush except a few I picked yesterday and the day before in one tray of my dehydrator. Can you count how many?

PSX_20200117_202238.jpg

It's a 100 grams of mushrooms in there. Was a lot of work to harvest. I have one more grow set up with B+ after which I will probably not grow them again any time soon. The genetics are not what I was hoping for.

The yield was about twice as much as last time, which seems to make sense since I used twice as much spawn. The last one didn't yield more than half a gram on the second flush so I trashed that one. Hope this one will give a better second flush. This time, no dunk.

This B+ flush was actually my best yield so far, although it didn't look it. 14 grams dry.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 17 January 2020 - 06:33 PM.

• Skywatcher and Moonless like this

#45 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

Colombian looks good... All those shrooms were only 14g dry? that looks like way more!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#46 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

They were so small.. but denser than some other flushes I have gotten which most of the times translate to less than or about 1/10 in weight. The tray was about the size of an A4 sized piece of paper. Might help for reference.

Small shrooms are nice for drying and packaging. Tomorrow I'll get a vacuum sealer so I can keep them fresh from now on. Packed per 5 gram.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 17 January 2020 - 07:16 PM.

#47 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

They were so small.. but denser than some other flushes I have gotten which most of the times translate to less than or about 1/10 in weight. The tray was about the size of an A4 sized piece of paper. Might help for reference.

Small shrooms are nice for drying and packaging. Tomorrow I'll get a vacuum sealer so I can keep them fresh from now on. Packed per 5 gram.

I've also been getting about 9-10% dry weight from my harvests. They are small, but they all look really good.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#48 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Alright, my second grow of Colombian is dehydrating now. There were so many clusters on this one that they were hard to harvest. But it was fun!

As I expected from several improvements comparing it to my first grow - more and better spawn, higher spawn to bulk ratio, more fresh air and misting - the yield was quite a bit higher for this first flush.

Last grow the first flush got me about a 100 gram - now I took 160 grams off of the substrate. (edit: 23 grams dry!)

Here are some pictures:

PSX_20200119_210224.jpg

PSX_20200119_210604.jpg

There were a few big ones in the middle of some clusters. I took one clone of those yesterday and two today right before harvesting the rest. I have 5 clones now on this variety. I think that is enough for now, to start doing some tests as soon as they are done.

-

Have prepped 12 jars of rye to get on some other varieties now. I altered the way I prepped the rye a little bit. I still soak for 24 hours, starting out with hot water (60°C/140°F) that I replace a few hours in. After the 24 hours are over I boil for 5 minutes now, in stead of 10 like I did before. I still like the effect boiling the grain has on how I can dry them off by steaming. That's basically all I do it for now, the grains are pretty much hydrated after my soak - and endospores have certainly started germinating by then.

I have decided to get the Golden Teacher and the Albino A+ out of the fridge. Curious about those. I have grown GT before, the AA+ is new to me. Should be exciting!

PSX_20200119_231518.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 19 January 2020 - 07:45 PM.

• Skywatcher and FunG like this

#49 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:47 AM

Alright, these last Cambodian and B+ grows I have set up had been colonizing for 9 days before I cased them, and then 6 days more. This time I chose to go for a dubtub approach, like I mentioned before. I did however mention that I wasn't going to mod them, but what the heck I'll get the drill out anyway to give them some serious air: I think that might have been an issue in my buckets up until now. Will put them in "fruiting conditions" today.

Those last 12 jars I nocced up with GT and AA+ are now a week along, and just shook them since they weren't going really quick like the B+ and Colombian did. Hopefully will be done in a week.

I added 8 new jars with 2 other varieties to keep them company: Mazatapec and Pan Cyan Jamaica, which I inoculated yesterday.

20200128_083825.jpg

Getting cosy in there.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 28 January 2020 - 05:56 AM.

• Moonless and macgyver like this

#50 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 02:56 AM

Ah finally some bad luck with my spawn jars! Got a bright green/blue mold in there, presumably trichoderma but I am not certain seeing the hue is different from the usual trichoderma I have seen.

PSX_20200130_084527.jpg

I shook all of my Golden Teacher and AA+ jars the day before yesterday. The GT was a bit behind but is recovering fine. One jar of them seemed to go pretty quick yesterday and that had a reason, a contaminant is in there. I'm seeing some green spots appear today and some funky white growth spread throughout the jar.

I of course checked all the other jars and they are clean. This is the first time I shook my jars and can see now the use of that in determining whether they are clean. If I didn't shake these there would have been a good chance I would have spawned this jar.

Seeing that the contam is isolated to one jar I cannot assume the mistake was in the sterilization process, but there might have been one contaminant hiding in one of the grains, who knows. It could also not have been through inoculating since it is in the first of 3 jars I inoculated with the same syringe without flaming in between jars. Or maybe it could have been. Again, who knows?

More likely a spore got into that jar in another way. Will be PCing this and then dispose of the content right away.

On a good note, here are two AA+ and GT jars recovering:

PSX_20200130_090550.jpg

Edited by RutgerHauer, 30 January 2020 - 03:25 AM.

#51 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:36 AM

Will spawn the Albino A+ tonight, and probably GT tomorrow. Have prepared 10 liter jars of substrate.

Seeing that the GT has lost a spawn jar to contamination I figured I do the same ratio for both. I have to divide the substrate a little differently to accomplish that, in stead of 5 jars each.

• For the AA+ I'll use 6 jars (5.4 liters) of 50/50 substrate to 6 jars (2.4 liters) of spawn - which makes for a 31% spawn rate.
  • For the GT I'll use 4 jars (3.6 liters) of 50/50 substrate to 5 jars (2.0 liters) of spawn - which makes for a 35% spawn rate.

There is a significant difference in total substrate volume between these two but I didn't want to go for a much lower spawn rate than this: about 1:2.

Should work out fine.

I did something different on a whim: added 0.4 liter of wheat bran I had left over to the substrate mix of about 10 liter. Not sure if it will make any difference, I just wanted to try. Though I'm not working with isolates so I will not have any real data on whether the supplementation will make a difference. I had not read of using bran to supplement substrates for Cubensis, but I figured if other mushrooms accept it, why not Cubensis?

Edited by RutgerHauer, 01 February 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#52 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:58 AM

These are AA+ and GT are sitting in their new habitat:

20200203_102848.jpg

Because of the bigger substrate volume than usual I now have some sort of a test as to whether a thicker substrate will produce bigger fruits. Up until now my substrates have been 2 to 3 inches in a bucket. These are now about 3 inches for GT and 4 inches for AA+.

-

Spawn jars for my other variety, Mazatapec, are now finished colonizing after a week and ready to be spawned today. I'll put those in a bucket. Have made some adjustments to the buckets, drilled some more holes in there for FAE. Where there were 6 holes, now are 10.

I inoculated some Pan Cyan Jamaica a week ago too, but they have not been showing any growth up until yesterday. Might have something to do with the "LC" I made from MS, that didn't colonize very well. It might have just been a solution with very diluted spores with a little mycelium, so there might not be enough good stuff in the jars. Will give it some more time to see if it is worth continuing those - or if I have to restart the process with just inoculating the jars directly with spores. Temps aren't ideal so I will just have to be more patient than usual.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 03 February 2020 - 05:45 AM.

• Stencill86 likes this

#53 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

A perfect fit for my bucket of Mazatapec.

20200203_223809.jpg

Had the bottom holes measured out to go just above 4 liters. Should be a bit more than 4 liters of substrate in there, just over three inches thick and just under 30% spawn.

I must say, if my previous attempt at growing this variety is anything to go on I won't expect much from these - but my thought always was that I had verticillium problems back then. Let is hope for the best and that there will be some healthy shrooms this time.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 03 February 2020 - 05:38 PM.

#54 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:20 PM

Awesome! Good luck this time around, looking forward to seeing these grow.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#55 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:39 AM

My attempt at colonizing a few jars of Pan Cyan didn't work out. Not sure what happened there, possibly shot a few blanks in there.. I have decided to give it one more go with the LC I have, which is showing much more growth now even though it has been in the fridge for most of the time - except for the day before I used it last time and since yesterday in preperation for inoculating today.

I will also be inoculating some jars with two clones I have from the Colombian variety I have been growing out these past weeks. I'll grow those in a dub tub with a substrate of 2 liters, just as a test. Hope that works out.

PSX_20200206_104851.jpg

-

Seeing last time I got two contaminated jars, for the first time since I started back up, something went wrong there. I'm making a few changes to prevent that from happening again. My best guess is that it went wrong with taking my spawn jars out of my PC sooner than usual, before it had cooled down. I wanted to inoculate sooner rather than later so taking them out helped speeding up the cool down.

There is a good chance a few spores got drawn into those jars while they were cooling down, since I have only one layer of micropore tape as a filter at that point. I'm sterilizing now and will let the PC cool down completely before I take the jars out. I should never skip that step again.

Another change in approach I am trying out is to not soak and boil my rye, and just fill the spawn jars with 100 grams of rye and fill it up with water about 1/4" above the grains - like I have read several times on the forum now. If it works out well, I'll skip he soak and boil and save me a day of planning ahead. Also because I have read that here and saw it mentioned in a YT video, I'm upping my sterilization time to 2.5 hours.

That's all, folks!

Edited by RutgerHauer, 06 February 2020 - 10:25 AM.

#56 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

I think I understand now why the no-soak prep with rye needs to be taken out the PC while still hot. I did not like the result after taking the jars out after cool down. The rye on the bottom had clumped together, was hard to break things up. I still managed to do that, sort of, but not perfectly. I am unsure whether still inoculating them will have been for nothing, but I guess I'll know that within the week.

Even if it works out, I'm not sure I'll use the mothod again, since I don't want to take out my jars before the PC has cooled down to prevent possible issues with contaminating my jars that way. I feel the rye is too hydrated as well, the jar is too full for my preference even though I went easy on the rye and didn't fill it even a quarter. If I use my own soak and boil method, the grain wouldn't have turned out this wet and the jars wouldn't be so full.

Alright, experiment done. I'll wait for the result and update as soon as there is something to update.

#57 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

Pan Cyan jars are done for. Pink mold developing in all 4 jars. I used two different clean syringes to inoculate two jars with each, so it wasn't the syringes. Should be the liquid culture that is contaminated. Threw that out and will toss the contaminated jars later.

I am not sure where the contamination happened, since I used it before on a few jars that resulted in nothing. Could be it got contaminated after that - seems to make sense. But if it was contaminated from the get go that would explain the lack of mycelial growth in that LC. Hope it wasn't, because if it was I am inclined to think my spore vial might be contaminated. Have never seen the pink mold before.

Will let this variety go for now, when the weather gets warmer I'll get back to it, will try to isolate on agar.

This is going to be my last post for a while. Feel like I'm talking to a wall here.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 08 February 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#58 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:59 PM

That is very frustrating to have lost all 4 jars of pan cyan! You've already disposed of it but maybe next time put a drop on agar to see what grows?

I've been experimenting with some smaller grains lately. So far, a 18-24 hr soak and a 5-15 min boil before at least 30 min drain (with stirring) then PC seems to make a nice moisture content.

Good luck RutgerHauer!

#59 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Having to toss everything that sucks, of course.

I also have used up 2 kg of dry rye for making lots of jars. Most of them remained uncontaminated even though I removed them very quickly from the PC.
I know they will draw fresh air into them. I even had some vacuuming going on in some of them. Nevertheless they remained without contamination.

I don't like the idea letting them sit in the humid climate of the depressurized and still warm PC. I take them out when they are still hot.

With the 2 kg I worked on a recipe that works for me. Too much water makes the rye stick at the bottom and prone to bacterial growth.
To fill a 580ml jar I use 135g dry rye with a bit of CaCO3. I fill it with cold water so that the surface of the grain is covered 2cm on top with water.

Then I PC it for 90 minutes, that's for a dry, grainy substrate. 120 minutes is a bit more wet, but not pasty at the bottom.
I use glass lids covered with aluminum foil, so that the steam can enter the jar in the PC.

This recipe is for a jar filled up to the lid when taken out the PC. The rye is crumbling on surface when the jar is shaken.

For me, it is difficult commenting in your grow log, Rutger. I'm a newcomer and you have lots of experience and another approach than me.
Recently I realized that I have no idea what cloning really is. Also I don't understand why people on topia are cloning for better strains.

I am totally fine with that, that I don't understand. I have just begun with grows and it is not the time for me to think on such endeavours.

That's why stillness is around in your grow log, at least from me. 

#60 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

@ YoshiTrainer: Yeah I guess it is too late to figure out if the LC was contam instead or not. No big loss, I still have spores to restart the process. I tried and failed twice from this LC, no use in wasting more time on it.

You just pretty much described my method of prepping rye usually - which works great. Just wanted to see about this "time saving" method and try for myself. I'll stick to my own method from now on and don't let myself get distracted by people telling me what not to do: soak, boil and steam dry before loading up the jars.

@ Alpoehi: I definitely didn't use to much water in my prep if you say your prep is right with 2 cm of water above the rye. I used 110 grams of rye and filled it up with water leveled just about 0.6 cm above the rye - as someone on this forum advices to do (1/4 inch). It was probably prepped right, but since I let the jars cool down the grain already stuck together when I took them out of the PC. Not to mention the great number of broken grains on the bottom.

-

The clones on rye are doing alright - no pink mold, though I lost two or perhaps three other jars to different contaminants, presumably trichoderma.

I am fairly certain it all has to do with this half measure rye prep. Perhaps there is difference between rye. I use winter rye, which grows for a longer time than summer/spring rye - and so is exposed to the elements quite a lot longer. I can imagine a soak and boil before sterilizing can make the difference. No other type of rye is available where I live, so I will have to work with what I have got.

For these first two clones I have lost possibly half of the jars, so I'm not sure if I will continue those at all. I might toss them all and start over with some dishes I have left with the same genetics. Fresh rye, fresh prep. Perhaps I will fruit the two clones together in one little grow and not use it as a real clone test run.

In the mean time I have put another three clones of the Colombian variety on rye using my trusted rye prep. If I redo those first two clones I will have five clones to test side by side. Will take prints from those and have something in my library to get back to. I'll have some back up clones on agar to do some bigger grows if they have promising genetics. Should be fun!

Have been harvesting my first flushes on the dubtub try-out. I have had trouble keeping the humidity up, probably have to mist a few times every day. I was under the impression a casing layer would require less misting, so I think I let it dry out too much for the first flush. Second flush seems to be doing better.

I am unsure if the holes I drilled in the top-tub were even necessary. I get the idea there is plenty of air exchange without them. Not sure - will continue to dial it in manually using the same setup and see if I can make it work better, before changing things up again.

One thing I will change is remove the casing layer from the equation. I used a vermiculite casing. It is too messy for my taste when it comes to harvesting. Hate the stuff.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 February 2020 - 07:25 PM.

• Alpoehi likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!