@ YoshiTrainer: Yeah I guess it is too late to figure out if the LC was contam instead or not. No big loss, I still have spores to restart the process. I tried and failed twice from this LC, no use in wasting more time on it.
You just pretty much described my method of prepping rye usually - which works great. Just wanted to see about this "time saving" method and try for myself. I'll stick to my own method from now on and don't let myself get distracted by people telling me what not to do: soak, boil and steam dry before loading up the jars.
@ Alpoehi: I definitely didn't use to much water in my prep if you say your prep is right with 2 cm of water above the rye. I used 110 grams of rye and filled it up with water leveled just about 0.6 cm above the rye - as someone on this forum advices to do (1/4 inch). It was probably prepped right, but since I let the jars cool down the grain already stuck together when I took them out of the PC. Not to mention the great number of broken grains on the bottom.
The clones on rye are doing alright - no pink mold, though I lost two or perhaps three other jars to different contaminants, presumably trichoderma.
I am fairly certain it all has to do with this half measure rye prep. Perhaps there is difference between rye. I use winter rye, which grows for a longer time than summer/spring rye - and so is exposed to the elements quite a lot longer. I can imagine a soak and boil before sterilizing can make the difference. No other type of rye is available where I live, so I will have to work with what I have got.
For these first two clones I have lost possibly half of the jars, so I'm not sure if I will continue those at all. I might toss them all and start over with some dishes I have left with the same genetics. Fresh rye, fresh prep. Perhaps I will fruit the two clones together in one little grow and not use it as a real clone test run.
In the mean time I have put another three clones of the Colombian variety on rye using my trusted rye prep. If I redo those first two clones I will have five clones to test side by side. Will take prints from those and have something in my library to get back to. I'll have some back up clones on agar to do some bigger grows if they have promising genetics. Should be fun!
Have been harvesting my first flushes on the dubtub try-out. I have had trouble keeping the humidity up, probably have to mist a few times every day. I was under the impression a casing layer would require less misting, so I think I let it dry out too much for the first flush. Second flush seems to be doing better.
I am unsure if the holes I drilled in the top-tub were even necessary. I get the idea there is plenty of air exchange without them. Not sure - will continue to dial it in manually using the same setup and see if I can make it work better, before changing things up again.
One thing I will change is remove the casing layer from the equation. I used a vermiculite casing. It is too messy for my taste when it comes to harvesting. Hate the stuff.
Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 February 2020 - 07:25 PM.