Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What Advice/Wisdom Would You Give Your Younger Self?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:43 AM

Just asked a friend this and now I'm curious as to what you would all say..

A couple things I'd offer:

1)Tobacco is icky so don't even start..

2)Throw away socks as soon as holes form.

3)There will be plenty more "worst days" of your life, but there will be many more "best days" too.

4)You're a weirdo and the sooner you accept it the smoother relations will be :tongue: 

5) "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" (ironically shared with me by an ex-friend I learned was talking smack behind my back, lol)

6)Get some damn sleep.

7)People can only offend you if you let them.

8)Budget, Budget, Budget!

What would you tell your younger self?

• Sidestreet, RutgerHauer and Thacan like this

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:04 AM

As to #2, what if they are your favorite pair of socks though?

Learn to meditate as soon as you can.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff ;)

Enjoy every moment, and be as happy as possible

Peace

• Sidestreet, Alder Logs and RainbowCatepillar like this

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:28 AM

I don't think any good advice would have stuck for me, any advice could even work counterproductively because it would have distracted me from the path I needed to take to come to that conclusion myself.. I am thinking things would have went as they did, no matter what anyone would try to advice me. I also have no regrets, everything, maybe especially the things that were not ideal, has had its purpose, reason and somehow brought me on the path I am on now - it taught me so much. Nothing I will want to change. There are different roads you can walk down, none of them are wrong or are useless. Eventually it makes you see the issues and want to change them.

If I had perfect ideas from the start, I would have still so many ways to make choices that would be 'bad choices' that go against those ideals we have about ourselves - simply because you have to experience those mistakes before you truly know them to be mistakes.

Like this smoking thing, or any other addictive habit, I was imprinted with not wanting to do that, but when I turned 19 life changed and I started smoking anyway - and down the hill I went. So no advice about what I should do and not do could have changed that I think. The circumstances and luck in our lives have more influence than any idea that is in our heads that we believe to be truth. I don't believe we have real control over things in that sense. That would require free will, which I don't believe to be a real thing.

So yeah, I could say a lot of things that I have learnt over the past years, but that will only apply now as real knowledge, not in the past, my younger self could not do anything with that advice.

-

The biggest one I can think of is that it is important to choose, no matter what, rather than not to choose and run away from responsibility. But then again, I often chose not to choose, so that isn't something I wasn't doing.

Don't worry, you can relax, would be another advice. But I had to go through a lot of worries to see that it is not helpful to worry. Also, I would have become worried about being worried.

I know it's no funny answer, but it is how I think about it.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 11 December 2019 - 09:16 AM.

• crazy1, Alder Logs, Thacan and 1 other like this

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

#9. Don't get caught...

• Sidestreet, crazy1, RutgerHauer and 4 others like this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

Invest in Apple.

• crazy1, firerat, Oneyedraven and 2 others like this

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:18 PM

Haha yeah TVCasualty, or buy a 1000 bitcoin as soon as you can.. haha man I can't imagina what my life would have been like..

Thinking about it, I would have probably been worried about my money.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 11 December 2019 - 01:11 PM.

• crazy1, Thacan and RainbowCatepillar like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:25 PM

Oh no! Darned socks.

• crazy1, Thacan and RainbowCatepillar like this

#8 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

MY GLASS IS FULL

BUDGET , BUDGET  , SAVE , SAVE , BUY USED

All of the greatest things  i ever got to do or achieve, i was told "YOU CAN'T DO THAT !"

Ignore that and DO IT !

I could of done so much more if i had learned this sooner.

When you meet some one and there just Really SUPER Nice from get go and act like your bests friend right off the bat there probably sociopaths or worse psychopaths   DING ! DING !.... DANGER !   DANGER !... RED FLAG !

Never ever lend/loan money , Ever ....Unless you want to get  rid of that person and Never Ever see them again ..!

a $20 loan is money well spent to get rid of some AssHat in your life for good .

Edited by bezevo, 11 December 2019 - 12:47 PM.

• Sidestreet, Oneyedraven, Thacan and 1 other like this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

Okay, be careful of "never" and "always."

• Sidestreet, crazy1, Thacan and 1 other like this

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:45 PM

@bezevo: A friend of mine had something to say about that. Don't lend somebody money, just give them what you can miss and don't expect it back.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 11 December 2019 - 12:45 PM.

• MsBehavin420 and RainbowCatepillar like this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

I have an old Frank and Earnest cartoon around here someplace, in which Frank says, "I don't lend money to friends, Earnie, I find it damages their memories."

• Sidestreet, Oneyedraven, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

I GIFT MONEY  if i feel theres a need , no loans

• Alder Logs and MsBehavin420 like this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:39 PM

Oh no! Darned socks.

tenor.gif

I'd also tell my younger self "You know all that fucked-up stuff you think is going to happen to the world in your lifetime? Yeah, turns out you're right. Start taking Tracker classes right away instead of waiting until you're in your late-20's."

• crazy1, Alder Logs, Moonless and 1 other like this

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

MY GLASS IS FULL

BUDGET , BUDGET  , SAVE , SAVE , BUY USED

All of the greatest things  i ever got to do or achieve, i was told "YOU CAN'T DO THAT !"

Ignore that and DO IT !

I could of done so much more if i had learned this sooner.

When you meet some one and there just Really SUPER Nice from get go and act like your bests friend right off the bat there probably sociopaths or worse psychopaths   DING ! DING !.... DANGER !   DANGER !... RED FLAG !

Never ever lend/loan money , Ever ....Unless you want to get  rid of that person and Never Ever see them again ..!

a $20 loan is money well spent to get rid of some AssHat in your life for good .

I disagree with this sentiment... I am nice to everyone and try to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome... Perhaps, when someone is nice to you, they are just trying to be a good person and are confident in who they are because of this... Confidence that you are doing the right thing can allow one to avoid the anxiety that might keep someone from being super nice to people...

The joke with my friends is that I NEVER smile because I pretty much always smile... lol... I am in a really good place and I strive to be a good person... This leads me to be nice to people and go out of my way to make them comfortable and feel included...

I think there is a difference between being really nice and pretending to be nice to achieve a goal... My only goal is to be a good person and live a righteous life!

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

Oh no! Darned socks.

I'd also tell my younger self "You know all that fucked-up stuff you think is going to happen to the world in your lifetime? Yeah, turns out you're right. Start taking Tracker classes right away instead of waiting until you're in your late-20's."

"Tracker Classes"?? Are these animal tracking/survival classes? If not, I'm not entirely sure I know what you are referring to... Please fill me in!

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

Oh no! Darned socks.

"Tracker Classes"?? Are these animal tracking/survival classes? If not, I'm not entirely sure I know what you are referring to... Please fill me in!

Look for "Tom Brown Jr. tracking."  Reading some of his books is quite a trip (that's as far as I've gone, but found them inspiring).  He made me into a stalker, of sorts, though I haven't been caught yet.   I believe Teeveecee went most of the whole nine yards, and of that, I could be a little jealous. 

Seriously, what I learned from reading his books, and applying what I understood about stalking, totally changed my relationship to the natural world, especially the animal portion.   I didn't learn enough, apparently, to keep some weaponized tick from biting my ass.  Still, wouldn't change a thing.

Edited by Alder Logs, 11 December 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,053 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

Oh no! Darned socks.

Yes, and soooo much more. It's in New Jersey of all places.

A little taste:

[Direct Link]

He sounds more optimistic than I remember, lol.

Oh, and the bugging-out has already begun. See you in Central America...

Edited by TVCasualty, 11 December 2019 - 06:15 PM.

• crazy1 and Alder Logs like this

#18 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

Ya know, seriously, like was said I wouldn't have listened back in my day.

I'm happy and grateful for that. I wouldn't be the person I am today without all the adventure I've lived through.

Grew up farming and hunting. Tracking is just another great way to enjoy the woods. And save yourself in need be.

I live pretty far back in the woods here, lifes grand my friends

Peace

• Alder Logs, Thacan and RainbowCatepillar like this

#19 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I like the playful and truthful comments here, but I am always just a bit more serious about philosophizing.  

My current modo is pretty simple: ’Enjoy the space that you occupy’.

I am also a big fan of Don Miguel Ruiz who said:

1. Be impeccable with your word
  2. Don’t take anything personally
  3. Don’t make assumptions
  4. Always do your best

-  Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements

And then there is Thich Nhat Hanh, so many things, but one that applies here:

“Do not lose yourself in the past. Do not lose yourself in the future. Do not get caught in your anger, worries, or fears. Come back to the present moment, and touch life deeply. This is mindfulness.” 

Thich Nhat Hanh, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation

Great question RC.

• Alder Logs, RutgerHauer and RainbowCatepillar like this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,028 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

I like this one too:

"Always take the path with heart."

~Don Juan

Okay, be careful of "never" and "always."

Doh!

Well, I don't always follow that.

Edited by Alder Logs, 11 December 2019 - 09:55 PM.

• RainbowCatepillar likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!