Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Would a "pop container" be good for storing dry shrooms?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Specifically this thing:

3I0BB9p.jpg

The lid loosely fits on, and you press the button, removing (I presume all of) the air and creating an airtight seal.

Just wondering as I have a few lying around and could get quite a few shrooms in them. If they do the job they'd probably be ideal.

• ElPirana likes this

#2 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

Yeah that should work, any airtight container will do once they're dry. I put mine in ziploc bags then into a mason jar.

• Fungi2b likes this

#3 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:40 PM

Hey i was going to wait to bring this up, but this applies to your "pop top" storage container. While making my ugly dubtub a few weeks ago, i looked down at this rice container my wife recently bought. Then it clicked, it would be perfect to fruit in ( I actually tryed it but contamed due to my technique and started a fight with the mrs because i started boiling bird seed and talking about mushrooms alot. And now her new rice container has manure in it lol.)
I find it strange that ive never seen a picture of anyone fruiting with these locktite rice containers. Easy harvest. I've seen people tape and silicon there way to a perfect seal, but this seems optimal. Ive looked into it and there are also big ones for bulk grows.
  • Insearchof1075 and FunG like this

#4 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

I might try that myself. I'm not sure if there are any technicalities anyone knows of but that does seem like a great way to do it.

I think these containers come in all shapes and sizes too.

#5 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:54 PM

I'd say any airtight container would do; advantage to this vs. a glass jar is durability. Disadvantage is it is transparent, for stealth detail.

My add-on here would be to throw in a couple of those dessicant packs you get with various products. Dry them by placing on a baking pan in the oven at 200F for 30 minutes or so, let cool, and add to the storage container to handle any potential moisture.

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:55 PM

They work fine, but check them periodically since they tend to break the vacuum over time. If you don't notice for a while you might find that cracker-dry has become kinda-floppy, depending on the humidity where you're at.

• ElPirana and FunG like this

#7 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:24 AM

I'll throw in those gel packs every so often to help with that.

#8 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

I picked up one of these containers at Walmart recently and have been using it for storage.86C9DE2D-1082-4AA6-BC0C-8CF808CA7153.jpeg
It works great and is super convenient. I filled a couple coffee filters with some damprid that I already have around, so that should take care of any residual moisture that might be there.

TV, you gotta good point about potentially leaking over time. Always good to be aware to avoid problems. I used to store some in ziplock bags and they didn’t seal well, I would periodically change out the desiccant.

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:15 PM

I'll throw in those gel packs every so often to help with that.

Check those, too since a broken seal on your vac container will cause them to become saturated (and ineffective) fairly quickly, and re-sealing the container with the saturated pack left in would not be ideal.

You can weigh your desiccant to tell whether it's saturated or not. If it's been sitting around for a few days or so it's probably saturated, so record it's "full" weight at that point then dry it out in the oven and weigh it again for it's "empty" weight. After that you can check 'em real quick and easy.

That level of detail is really only important when intended to store them longer than 2-3 months or so (esp. in Winter), unless you live somewhere with excessive humidity.

#10 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:33 PM

i use gallon size zip locks.

#11 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

These containers rock!

Attached Thumbnails

• 15816092982052207528371546866738.jpg

#12 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

Hey i was going to wait to bring this up, but this applies to your "pop top" storage container. While making my ugly dubtub a few weeks ago, i looked down at this rice container my wife recently bought. Then it clicked, it would be perfect to fruit in ( I actually tryed it but contamed due to my technique and started a fight with the mrs because i started boiling bird seed and talking about mushrooms alot. And now her new rice container has manure in it lol.)
I find it strange that ive never seen a picture of anyone fruiting with these locktite rice containers. Easy harvest. I've seen people tape and silicon there way to a perfect seal, but this seems optimal. Ive looked into it and there are also big ones for bulk grows.

I'm lost....what r u gonna fruit in that container? How's it gonna get enough fae? Do you use the lid somehow? Do you use 2 and make a dub?

#13 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Ok now I see what your Doing

#14 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 558 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:01 PM

I use quart canning jars and oxygen absorbers. I know the seal is good when i push down on the lid and it doesn't have any give or pop back up.

#15 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

I actually had to take the polyfill right out it was not getting enough FAE. Just a side project but honestly i might fruit in these things permanently. Other then while fruiting i didn't have to touch it. It fit 1qt of spawn 50/50 with coir.

#16 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

15818002675537740127445828125960.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!