55 replies to this topic

#1 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

Hello all!
I thought I would share my experience with my very first gummi's. This ia a variation of Myco Madness Recipe. If you are not a subscriber I highly recommend him. He is very knowledgeable on many topics and just a really great guy.

https://www.youtube....Z2UVaVsb8bKO7Mg

Keep in mind that I have been weaning myself off of a powerful SSRI so the recipe' I list below is most likely way to strong for those with a low tolerance. My tolerance has demonstrated to be extremely high due to being on the anti-depression meds. I should have it completely out of my system within this month. Until then I am assuming my dosage of these gummi's will need to be higher.

After trying several tea recipes' including some lemon TEK variations, I have found that even 12 grams of dry APE are only enough to get me to level 1. So I have created the recipe below to combat that.

Recipe:

12 ounces of boiled water (including 4 grams dissolved citric acid) filtered three times though 80 grams dried APE using a Buchner funnel at 190F and 25hg of vacuum. (The citric acid helps extract the goodies similar to lemon TEK)

Then 2 grams Harmine and 4 grams Ginko Biloba powder dissolved into the water after filtering. The mixture kept at 190F on a heated stir plate during the whole process.

Harmine (in case some don't know) is the chemical that comes from Syrian Rue and we all know what Ginko is. They are both MAOI's with Harmine being a very potent one. I forgot to include a link for Harmine if you need a source. Be careful though. So far it is not a regulated substance in US and Canada, I think it may be in Australia. Regardless... buyer beware!

https://www.amazon.c...#detail-bullets

The extracted liquid is then refrigerated under vacuum until very cold. I refrigerated under vacuum to reduce the amount of oxygen the water would normally absorb when cooling.

Then I mixed in this order, 3/4 cup light corn syrup until dissolved (yes it is a pain in the ass to do when cold) 1 cup sugar until dissolved, then 9 packs of 1/4 gram Knox gelatin whisked in until dissolved (it takes patience). All the combining is done cold so the gelatin does not instantly set up as it would do if added to hot water.

Very slowly bring the mixture to a boil stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a 1qt measuring cup and allow to cool 10 minutes.
Skim off foam (optional step but I think it might help with keeping dosage more predictable since air in the base takes up space), then add your favorite flavoring and some color if you wish (I chose green apple flavor and green color) and pour into your favorite molds. I used the flavors from this seller if you are interested.

https://www.amazon.c...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I chose these soap molds because they are large and I can always cut them to smaller doses if needed.

I have not tried them yet, but I plan to in a few hours. I will report back in a bit!

DSC00526.JPG DSC00527.JPG

Edited by Jinroh, 13 December 2019 - 07:07 PM.

• crazy1, coorsmikey, Samwise and 1 other like this

#2 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

OKAY! First results!

I took two of the Gummi's at 2 PM (Eastern time) and I am just now capable of typing. I am still high as hell though. And I made a few breakthroughs!
I suggest you try this Myco! It has the Jinroh stamp of approval!!

As far as dosage per gummi goes, it is hard to estimate due to the added variables of Harmine and Ginko. But in my newb opinion, I feel the effects of one gummi would be a solid 6grams of dried APE.

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 697 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

Great recipie Jin thanks for sharing!

• Jinroh likes this

#4 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:30 PM

Great recipie Jin thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 697 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

Jin,

Do you know the sitch on adding different additives? such as vitamins and extracts?

#6 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:16 PM

I am still learning but yes I have heard of some.

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,758 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:17 PM

Looks interesting.

I'm curious about shelf life (both in terms of potency and as far as the candy itself is concerned; I've had cannabis gummies get moldy in the fridge). Though they probably won't sit around for long unless I make way too many.

I'll be giving this a try as soon as I can get back into a situation where I'm able to.

• PJammer24 and Jinroh like this

#8 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:28 PM

Looks interesting.

I'm curious about shelf life (both in terms of potency and as far as the candy itself is concerned; I've had cannabis gummies get moldy in the fridge). Though they probably won't sit around for long unless I make way too many.

I'll be giving this a try as soon as I can get back into a situation where I'm able to.

I am sure shelf life would be fairly long. This recipe yields a product just like a Haraboo Gummi which does not require refrigeration. However, I doubt that it says much about the shelf life of the actives since light and oxidation would be a big factor. I store mine under vacuum in my fridge to avoid any issues.
You are also right about them not being around for long. They are very tasty with no aftertaste or funky odors.

#9 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,700 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:19 PM

very interesting indeed

especially since making some canna-gummies is already on my weekend to do list, it seems like I might need to give this one a shot. Do they still taste like a mouth full of loose change?

TV i too have had my first batch of home made gummies get moldy in the fridge. I think one of my errors was not putting enough sugar in. I think once they are above a certain sugar level mold basically can't grow. Its the same reason dried figs never end up moldy. I was planning on cheating for the canna-gummies and just melting down some store bought ones and mixing in some de-carbed extract. 

• TVCasualty and Jinroh like this

#10 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

very interesting indeed

especially since making some canna-gummies is already on my weekend to do list, it seems like I might need to give this one a shot. Do they still taste like a mouth full of loose change?

TV i too have had my first batch of home made gummies get moldy in the fridge. I think one of my errors was not putting enough sugar in. I think once they are above a certain sugar level mold basically can't grow. Its the same reason dried figs never end up moldy. I was planning on cheating for the canna-gummies and just melting down some store bought ones and mixing in some de-carbed extract. 

I can only speak for myself but these taste like any regular gummi you would buy at a candy store. High quality flavor oils are the key. No funky odors or after taste. If you are not a fan of hard gelatin you might not like these. But I do not see why you could use less gelatin and turn it into jello. Of course, there would be no shelf life at that point. Also, if you do not own basic lab equipment like mentioned in my recipe, I suspect the end product would be very low potency or nasty at the very least.
The next batch I make I will post a better description with more photos.
Everything in this recipe revolves around high vacuum extraction through Diatomaceous earth, and paper in combination with glass filters.
It sounds really expensive but I think all of the equipment could be had for under 200 bucks. And the same equipment can be used for lots of other things like herbal extracts, alcohol crystallizations, and I make a killer Buchner funnel coffee!

#11 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

For those of you that do not own a vacuum pump, I recently purchased this vacuum pump for a different project. All you need is a 12v DC power supply to power it. This pump is cheap and I measured over 20hg of vacuum which is plenty for filtration. It is a little loud but you can't beat the price. It has no polarity so you don't have to worry about connecting it correctly.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#12 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:35 PM

For those of you that do not own a vacuum pump, I recently purchased this vacuum pump for a different project. All you need is a 12v DC power supply to power it. This pump is cheap and I measured over 20hg of vacuum which is plenty for filtration. It is a little loud but you can't beat the price. It has no polarity so you don't have to worry about connecting it correctly.

Here is the pump that I use (one just like it not the exact pump).

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,157&sr=8-4

Buchner kit if you do not have one.

Edited by Jinroh, 20 December 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#13 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:25 AM

s-l1600.jpg

220px-Peganum_harmala1.jpg

I found a new cheaper source for Harmine/Harmaline HCL that hails from Texas. I do not think I made the distinction of what form should be used in this recipe. I am sure many of you know this info but I thought I would make sure us newbs have it straight. This can be a dangerous compound after all. I want to make sure everyone knows that Harmaline is no joke, and caution should be used.

This compound comes in several forms and mixtures. You can get Harmaline or Harmine with Harmaline being twice as strong as Harmine. You can get it as a Free Base (FB) or Hydrochloride (HCL). The best and (believe it or not) the cheapest way to get it is as an HCL extract. It almost entirely consists of harmine and harmaline in a roughly 2 to 1 ratio as a hydrochloride salt. It being an HCL means it is readily water-soluble while the Free Base form has no salts and is not water-soluble ( FB is for smoking). The dosage for this compound by itself is 150 to 250mg. Since this is being added to a much larger volume of liquid, be sure and do your math when calculating how much to add. Just like with all of these supplements (shrooms included) it is best to err on the side of caution and go low dose until you know how your body reacts to it. I will repost this recipe the next time I make it with more photos and more detailed information.

Edited by Jinroh, 22 December 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#14 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:49 PM

I took three of those gummis about 9 hours ago! Jeezus! I think my toes briefly dipped into a level 4 trip.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• crazy.gif

Edited by Jinroh, 24 December 2019 - 04:53 AM.

• Tenderfoot likes this

#15 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

I have had a question about how I refrigerate under a vacuum. I will put a link to the wide-mouth jar adapter I use with my vacuum pump. I have three vacuum pumps BTW, the best one for this type of work would be an automotive-style rotary vacuum pump due to it's near unbeatable 30hg of vacuum capability and it's speed. No other consumer-grade pump can match 30hg. But 30hg is not required... you can get by with 20hg which most other pumps can produce.

I also have the Food Saver vacuum system and a small 12v DC portable unit. One note on safety. Do NOT use an automotive (or any rotary vacuum pump for that matter) with Alcohol extractions. That requires a special pump that does not make internal sparks when the motor runs. For obvious reasons.

Another question I had was about using this recipe for microdosing. This is just my opinion, but if you plan to microdose, it would be best not to make "brick size" hits of Psilocybin! Use the extra small gummy bear molds below.

gums.JPG

And those eye droppers that come with the kit are useless. I used a meat injection syringe, You won't waste nearly as much and you can fill the cavities much faster and accurately.

dosing syringe.JPG

The wide-mouth jar adapter is made by Food Saver, but it will work with any vacuum pump and any capacity wide-mouth mason style jar.
Food Saver also makes other vacuum containers for many different uses. Easily found on Amazon or the Food Saver website and all of those can be used with any vacuum pump. The Food Saver machine is a little expensive but can be used for many things besides vacuuming food bags. I recommend it over the other pumps if you can afford it. You can take your dehydrated fungi and vacuum seal it in a bag and it would last literally forever in your freezer and never get soggy or lose potency! Not to mention take up any room. Under vacuum, dried fungi will compress to almost nothing. I have vacuum sealed all sorts of stuff including firearms. (To keep clean and free of rust) No the firearms do not compress under a vacuum. LOL

lid adapter.JPG

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,157&sr=8-3

Also a better source for Harmine...
https://www.ebay.com...harmala-seed-5g

/133071740938?hash=item1efbb1a00a:g:PtUAAOSw0Uhc89un

Another thing about Buchner funnels. Do not find out the hard way and purchase the wrong style like I did.

There are two types. The first type (the one I bought) has the glass ground on the opening of the flask and the bottom of the funnel and that fine glass surface is what makes the seal between the funnel and the flask. It also has the vacuum port located on the funnel. There are a few reasons why this type is undesireable for this application.

1.  The funnel itself usually comes with a permanent glass filter in it. I have discovered it is way too fine for this application.

2.  The matching funnel is very small and does not hold much material and the glass filter clogs too easily.

3.  The funnel below the filter has a complicated design that makes it very hard to clean.

Do not get this type;

bad flask.JPG

Get this type below. Buy the flask seperately and get the plastic funnels and stopper kit which are much cheaper, much easier to clean and filters much faster.

Buchner stopper set.JPG

https://www.amazon.c...ElkPUExMDQwNjEw

MUJBUFdIOUZCRk83RCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg5MTYzM01HMVZBMlpFT0lZNiZ3aWRnZXR

OYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

good funnels.JPG

good flask.JPG

https://www.amazon.c...dustrial&sr=1-3

Edited by Jinroh, 10 January 2020 - 07:51 PM.

#16 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:36 AM

It has been a while since I have made gummies! After reading Pastyoureyes's recent post in the "Drying and long-term storage protocol" thread, I decided to make a new batch. I used the same methodology and equipment described in my original post except instead of fruit bodies, I used Semperviva Grain in a much higher concentration than my original recipe. Since this is Mycelium and not fruit bodies, I am unsure of what potency to expect. So, here are the changes to the recipe.

1 gallon of 120 days old Semperviva grain (roughly 300 Tablespoons).
1 gallon of boiled RO water mixed with the grain and simmered gently for two hours (added two tablespoons citric acid for extraction boost). I used a potato smasher through a coarse sieve (to get out the big chunks). I returned the liquid to the pot and did a gentle reduction until three cups of liquid remained. I then used the vacuum filtration method through a paper filter and Celite 545 into a heated flask as usual.
I transferred the liquid to a mason jar so I could use my vacuum lid adapter to pull a vacuum on the liquid while it was still hot. That should reduce the amount of oxygen the liquid absorbs as it cools.
I let the liquid cool overnight. Then I used a common gummy recipe with a lot of sugar and candy flavoring to cover what is sure to be an awful taste. The candy is cooling in the fridge as I write this.
I made this mixture extra concentrated since the candy mold I used this time produces tiny candies. I plan to test them today once they cool.

Apologies for the photo orientations. I forgot that I needed to hold my phone correctly. This site seems to hate the photos that my phone takes and will not correct orientation if I do not hold it at the correct orientation when the photo is taken.

Attached Thumbnails

• Buchner Filtration.jpg
  • IMG_1350.jpg
  • IMG_1354.jpg
  • Mash it out.jpg
  • Return to pot.jpg
  • Simmered two hours.jpg
  • Leftovers.jpg
  • Tiny Gummiees.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 19 September 2020 - 02:07 PM.

• pastyoureyes, ItBeBasidia and YoshiTrainer like this

#17 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:20 PM

I just removed the tiny gummies from their molds. Those of you who have made gummies before probably noticed that it is difficult to replicate the texture of a store-bought gummy. I found out that to get that really firm texture, the candy makers let the candy dry at low temperature for an amount of time in which the water content reduces which causes them to shrink quite a bit as well. I tried to find more details about the process but the candy makers don't go into too much detail. I did find out they use corn starch as a mold which easily breaks away after the candy hardens. They then tumble the candy with a little food-grade oil to seal the candy and prolong freshness. That got me thinking...

What I have learned from all of you over the years is that oxygen and moisture are the enemies of Psilocybin. So it seems logical that if I could dry the gummies under a vacuum, I could improve the texture and (theoretically) prolong the potency of the gummies since removing air and water is good. Right? Removing the water in the absence of air should protect the actives at the same time.
I decided to try the ole'" Damp Rid" trick on a portion of the tiny gummies to see what happened.

I took 100 of the 200 tiny gummies that I made and tossed them in a small amount of cornstarch (just in case they tried to stick together during dehydration).
I then put them in an old pill bottle and left the cap off. I put the now full gummy bottle into a mason jar with Damp Rid in the bottom. I then pulled a vacuum on the mason jar. The bottle will keep the Damp Rid away from the candy, and there is almost no air in the jar. Let's see what happens after a week or two in the jar. Ideally, I would end up with very small and firm (almost capsule-like) pieces of candy. This might also increase the amount of time before the candy gets moldy.
I could be going down the wrong road here but I enjoy doing experiments like this. I will keep this thread informed!

Edit:

It will be interesting to see if the Damp Rid works in the absence of air. Since it removes moisture from air, will it remove moisture when there is almost no air? I may need to change my experiment and have one jar under vacuum and one without vacuum.

tiny gumy flock.jpg tiny gummies.JPG corn starch coating.jpg Dehydration under vacuum.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 19 September 2020 - 01:44 PM.

• ItBeBasidia and YoshiTrainer like this

#18 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

I'm looking into using potassium sorbate as a preservative. Apparently this is the secret ingredient to create shelf stable gummies like you would buy in the store.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#19 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:18 PM

Great experiments Jinroh, it'll be interesting to hear you thoughts on the final results. I'd like to know taste and texture of both types of gummies and of course, the mileage of your trip. Then I just need to divide the dosage by a factor of 10 for myself. :)
  • Jinroh likes this

#20 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

I'm looking into using potassium sorbate as a preservative. Apparently this is the secret ingredient to create shelf stable gummies like you would buy in the store.

That is one preservative. Another one is food-grade titanium dioxide. It is often mixed into powdered medicine used in capsules as a desiccant and UV light protection for compounds that are light sensitive. I plan to try that if I ever succeed with my crystallization experiment.

Edited by Jinroh, 19 September 2020 - 05:26 PM.

• pastyoureyes likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!