They are still very soft.

#42 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:37 PM

They are still very soft.

The gummies that I am dehydrating are already starting to get more firm like commercial gummies. I am going to keep them drying for a few more days.

#43 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Dehydrating in a dehydrator?

#44 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

Dehydrating in a dehydrator?

No, a bottle without a lid inside a sealed jar with desiccant.

#45 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:41 PM

Have you tried leaving them in the fridge or on the counter for a few days?

#46 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Have you tried leaving them in the fridge or on the counter for a few days?

No, because I don't want the exposure to all that oxygen. Although I have no idea if that would oxidize the alkaloids or not.

#47 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

Apparently not, I left a few on the counter for several days and they were still active. At this point I'm more worried about light than air, the gelatin seems to insulate from oxidation.

#48 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

Apparently not, I left a few on the counter for several days and they were still active. At this point I'm more worried about light than air, the gelatin seems to insulate from oxidation.

I have not seen/read/heard that light damages potency of the alkaloids?

#49 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:08 AM

Light, heat and oxygen are the three things that cause degradation of alkaloids. It's up for debate how much of each one or under what conditions they will cause noticable potency loss.

In other news I tried adding potassium sorbate and the texture seems a bit more firm.
  • Jinroh likes this

#50 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

Light, heat and oxygen are the three things that cause degradation of alkaloids. It's up for debate how much of each one or under what conditions they will cause noticable potency loss.

In other news I tried adding potassium sorbate and the texture seems a bit more firm.

Well, heat can't be that big of an issue since it can be boiled without losing it (Isn't 350f the cuttoff?), the oxygen we know definitely destroys it, including oxygen dissolved in liquid, if light is an issue we can add another compound to fight that. I guess it comes down to how natural we want to keep the end product. I don't particularly enjoy making gummies, but I enjoy the end product. So I am all for additives that will make them last longer.

I am ordering some potassium sorbate next week and I still have plenty of red wheat that I don't enjoy in tea so I plan to use that to make more with the preservative. Maybe I can do a side by side comparison with some of the unpreserved that I made and see how long they stay edible.

#51 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:56 AM

All heat does is accelerate oxidation (unless you bring the alkaloids up to their thermal decomposition temperature where oxygen isn't required to destroy them, which is over 400℉/220℃). A general rule for chemical reactions is that their reaction rates double with every 10℃ rise in temperature.

And by the time water comes to a boil all the dissolved oxygen that was in it is long gone, so mushroom tea can boil for hours and still retain potency as it's not being exposed to any oxygen while it boils.

The issue with light is specifically UV light, so it was really nice of the Ball mason jar company to come out with half-gallon mason jars awhile back that are tinted amber (for blocking UV light) for us to store our harvests in.

• Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#52 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

All heat does is accelerate oxidation (unless you bring the alkaloids up to their thermal decomposition temperature where oxygen isn't required to destroy them, which is over 400℉/220℃). A general rule for chemical reactions is that their reaction rates double with every 10℃ rise in temperature.

And by the time water comes to a boil all the dissolved oxygen that was in it is long gone, so mushroom tea can boil for hours and still retain potency as it's not being exposed to any oxygen while it boils.

The issue with light is specifically UV light, so it was really nice of the Ball mason jar company to come out with half-gallon mason jars awhile back that are tinted amber (for blocking UV light) for us to store our harvests in.

Is it only the UV light that oxidizes? I purchased pharmaceutical titanium dioxide powder for use with the crystal TEK. It would be really easy to add some to the gummies as extra insurance for when they are not protected by a UV blocking container.

I am storing my small ones in old pill bottles which are amber in color. That was a "just in case" scenario since I was not sure if the UV was a danger or not.

#53 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

My understanding is that the UV does not cause oxidation, it breaks the molecules apart directly from exposure to it (same way we get skin cancer thanks to how UV damages our DNA).

It's not a significant issue in the short term since UV exposure is very low unless you leave your fungi outside in the Sun or put them under a germicidal UV-C lamp. But over a year or two a stash protected from light will likely retain more potency than a stash stored under identical temp/humidity conditions but not protected from exposure to ambient light (assuming they're stored indoors).

The fact that shiitake caps can have their vitamin-D content boosted by several orders of magnitude after only ~2 days of exposure to sunlight (even after they've been harvested and dried) suggests that we should definitely take care to store our psilocybes out of direct sun, which isn't usually a problem.

• Jinroh and YoshiTrainer like this

#54 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:45 PM

My understanding is that the UV does not cause oxidation, it breaks the molecules apart directly from exposure to it (same way we get skin cancer thanks to how UV damages our DNA).

It's not a significant issue in the short term since UV exposure is very low unless you leave your fungi outside in the Sun or put them under a germicidal UV-C lamp. But over a year or two a stash protected from light will likely retain more potency than a stash stored under identical temp/humidity conditions but not protected from exposure to ambient light (assuming they're stored indoors).

The fact that shiitake caps can have their vitamin-D content boosted by several orders of magnitude after only ~2 days of exposure to sunlight (even after they've been harvested and dried) suggests that we should definitely take care to store our psilocybes out of direct sun, which isn't usually a problem.

That is really cool info about Shiitake. I am about 25% into my first grow attempt of that species. They were spawned from red wheat and put into red oak and bran about two weeks ago. Colonization looks to be about 50% at this point.

• TVCasualty likes this

#55 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

It seems the consensus is that oxygen is the main culprit in degradation. I generally store my stuff in the dark, usually in the freezer so light is not a factor there.

I looked up the melting point of psilocybin last week and it says around 428*F. Maybe hard candies aren't totally out of the question?

#56 Jinroh

Jinroh

Captain Obvious

• OG VIP
  • 930 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:57 PM

It seems the consensus is that oxygen is the main culprit in degradation. I generally store my stuff in the dark, usually in the freezer so light is not a factor there.

I looked up the melting point of psilocybin last week and it says around 428*F. Maybe hard candies aren't totally out of the question?

Only one way to find out!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!