• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:40 PM

I had been planning this trip for several weeks with the intention of an evening beginning as near the Full Moon as possible, warm fire outside.  I had thought that I would begin inside to control environmental noise for the sake of meditation for the first 2 hours or so, then head outside since it would then be dark and sit by the fire.  

Mother Nature had other plans as it began raining the day before & is still cloudy/gloomy today (the day after).  Just so happen to be Friday the 13th! 

I had a Friend over to be my sitter.  I began with loading 3+g of Acadian Coast onto the digital scale.  It does not give me .0 increments so once it hit 3g I added a touch more to get somewhere near 3.5g.

I placed 1C filtered water in a pan and brought it to a boil for around 10 minutes.  I then added a touch more water to compensate for evaporation.  I placed the mushrooms into a coffee grinder and converted them to mostly powder with some small bits.  After the 10 minutes of boiling the water (supposedly reduces oxygen levels in the water :unsure: ) I added the powdered mushrooms.  I covered the pan and stirred every 10 minutes or so.  I occasionally added a touch of water to try and maintain near a Cup.  I steeped this for 60-70 minutes.  I strained the liquid into a measuring bowl to see how close it was to 1 Cup.  It turned out to be about 1/2C.  I added all of the mushroom particles back to the pan that I could and added 1/2C of water back in and steeped for another 10min.  Poured this through a strainer and had my full 1Cup.  I then squeezed about 1/2 - 1 tsp of Lime juice in.  I chose to add a small amount of lime in just to kind of touch on the lemon/lime tek. Probably didn't matter one bit though.

I began sipping on the tea at about 5:30pm. Consumed all in maybe 15-20 minutes.  I then sat in the floor on a mat and talked a bit with my friend.  I could slowly begin to feel a "heaviness" around my eyes.  I decided to lay back and begin my version of mindfulness/meditation.  Things began without a doubt about 30 minutes or so in. Shortly after I decided to put on East Forest "Music for Mushrooms" and continued lying still.  Some of the sounds were really nice like the sounds of the night insects in the music.  Some of the voice sounds and instruments seemed to bring my focus outside of me though.

As I lay, the bodily sensation I felt most was like something sort of heavy inside me.  Things felt very similar to meditation with Cannabis.  I had some slight visuals which did not seem any different from my experience in a float tank using Cannabis.  I would occasionally open my eyes to notice anything visual.  I could see slight geometric patterns that were pink"ish" in color like a fabric in the airspace.  I experienced a slight jerking motion of my arms at one point, similar to when you begin to drift to sleep.  I had a brief moment of thoughts and visions of a family member that brought about some warm fuzzies and smiles.  Between 1 hour/1 &1/2 hours I began having the sensation to urinate.  I laid there and just focused into the sensation.  I procrastinated to get up and go relieve myself for the concern of disrupting the experience and possibly peeing out any of the actives LOL.  I eventually had to get up and go.

I noticed that when I stood my field of vision seemed to "sink" in the middle.  Sort of felt like my body was folding into itself toward my front.  Only the slightest bit of nausea and "drunkish" on my feet.  When I was standing, the physical sensations were that of Alcohol and that of Cannabis.  Not the same, but was the only territory of experience that I could equate to what this felt like.  Unlike my experience with Cannabis,  I was in no way feeling like anything physically active.  I LOVE Cannabis and my version of Yoga, or running, walking, lifting weights etc.

I went outside in the dark of night and relieved myself (utilized the woodline for you ex grunts LOL)

I did not feel to drawn to be outside with the condition of weather so I went back inside.

I ended up transitioning from sitting to lying and conversing some with my Friend.  The peak of experience lasted about 2 hours.  I had a few times of heavy laughter over something that would be said. 

About 2 1/2 hrs in I got up and went to the stove to add some water to the mushroom leavings to make more tea.  Had a few laughs and was not the easiest to focus on things.  Standing seemed to lessen the head experience.  The leftovers did add a bit more to the experience but not much.  I again made one more tea with the leavings at about 4 hrs in.  It also may have added a bit more to the experience.  At approximately the 4 hour mark, I laid on my mat for a little over an hour and had some strong emotional feelings & thoughts about my Daughter.  This was very similar to my experiences in the float tank or just meditation in general.  I would catch myself in the thought patterns and return back to a "centered" focus.  I would notice some part of my body contracted as it would release.  I have come to notice in these situations how my body holds tension around thoughts.  I only notice this in meditation and very rarely in everyday life moving.

At around 11:15pm I sat up and decided to get ready for bed as I was beginning to feel really sleepy.

All in all I did not experience anything outside of "normal reality".  I did seem to hear some sort of sound a few times to my left when lying, but could very well have been related to the "Music for Mushrooms".  Some slight color and visuals.  I did not experience any real sense of reality distortion, spiritual awakening, Oneness or any type of "opening" that I was thinking may occur.

A "heavy" physical sensation stood out the most.  I did not experience anything unpleasant.  I would have liked to have had a Spiritual opening/experience & I am accepting of not also.

I will go again soon and may try the RedBoyX strain to see how that goes.

I think for this particular journey I could have handled 4-5g and that it may have helped to open some doors.  I assume that 3g of synthesized psilocybin in a clinical setting is not the same as 3g of dried cubes, but I had to start somewhere.  Perhaps going higher without a sitter is not ideal though...

I plan to not use any music next time and try to go for more stillness and meditative state.  I may need to brave this thing on my own as having a sitter sometimes pulled me out of focus with their movements and sounds although minimal.

Today I woke with a headache that came on around 2:30am.  It could be due to possible dehydration as I did spend 20+ minutes in a sauna the morning of my journey.  Could possibly be due to the fungus also.... who knows.  All in all though I feel calmer, maybe slower, with less anxiety today. 

Thanks for reading.

SM

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,014 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

Where did you learn how to make tea? That's the most complicated approach I've ever seen and probably had a negative effect on the overall potency.

If there was any body load (unpleasant feelings like nausea, etc.) then the lime juice soak would be the way to go instead of tea.

If you want transformative then go with 5 grams or above, but try to avoid doses between 3 and 5 grams (they are high enough to challenge the Ego but not high enough to make it shut up and sit in the corner, so it can get unpleasant. At 5 or above it's a whole different kind of experience).

And 3 grams of synthesized psilocybin would be roughly 30 oblliterate-the-ego visionary doses (so about thirty 5-gram doses of dry cubensis). If I did the math right, that is.

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

3.5 gram dried in tea is stronger than 5 grams dried eaten (the "heroic" dose) in my experience, so in that sense he got that experience already. I did both and 5 gram eaten was something on the edge for me, the 3.5 gram tea did more for me.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 December 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#4 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:48 PM

Seems like a nice, chill time overall. But next time, try changing your tea procedure. 60-70 minutes is a long time. I'm not sure it affected the potency much though, but longer is definitely not better when making mushroom tea.

Personally, I just powder the dry mushrooms with my fingers as well as I can in a teakettle, there are always still a few small chunks left. Then I pour enough boiling water for one cup of tea in the kettle. After that I wait 10-15 minutes before I drink it. Then I pour the same amount of boiling water again. When I am finished drinking my first cup of tea, the second is always ready for drinking. No potency loss as far as I have noticed, and I have been doing it 30+ times. Some people instead simmer the mushrooms in the tea water for 10-15 minutes with good results.

As for the headache... I've been there, buddy. It's probably dehydration. It is very important to remember to drink enough water during a trip, it's so easy to forget. Especially when you're in the sauna. I doubt the mushrooms themselves are to blame for your headache in this case.

#5 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:51 PM

3.5 gram dried in tea is stronger than 5 grams dried eaten (the "heroic" dose) in my experience, so in that sense he got that experience already. I did both and 5 gram eaten was something on the edge for me, the 3.5 gram tea did more for me.

Really? IME, I respectfully disagree. For me the intensity of the trip is pretty much the same with tea as when I eat the mushrooms, it only comes on faster and the comeup is more intense ...for me, that is. When I add lemon I do, however, notice an increase in intensity.

It's interesting how these things seem to affect people in different ways.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:54 PM

I did add lemon to the mushrooms before I made the tea. Anyway, it was my experience that it was more intense than the 5 gram eaten. Not sure if it was the lemon or not, or circumstances..

I think the tea makes it so that your body absorbs it much quicker and therefore it accumulates faster in your system to a high dose before the body begins to break it down. It wears down pretty quick too. 3 hours after consuming, that's it for me with tea.

I always make a point to not eat for several hours before the trip, that might have some influence on the efficiency. One time I did eat an hour before I drank the tea and that trip wasn't as intense as I expected from the dose.

Maybe it is something I'm wrong on and more a case of circumstance. Will have to do some new experiments since it has been a while for me. Not looking so forward to the 5 gram heroic dose, because that hasn't cut it for me in the past. Had been reluctant to take more at that time because people are so adamant that at that dose you will experience the real deal, but might go for more soon.

@SacredMountain: Sounds like you had a good introduction to the fungi. Don't be afraid to take more, even alone. I have noticed as well that having someone with me can destract me from getting into it the way I like and can make things a bit uncomfortable.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 December 2019 - 02:05 PM.

#7 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

I went with this:   https://mycotopia.ne...hoopin-tea-tek/

Thanks MLBjammer for re-posting this back in the day.  I found it searching for tea teks. 

For all of the doubters of the approach I took, be sure to READ the amount of mushrooms and the length of time to steep in the above recipe.

Unless someone has scientifically verified the actual potency of a short (15min) steep vs. a long (30min+) steep, then I am going to go with the premise of steeping for long periods of time to get something stronger and extract the most nutrients i.e, bone broths, or any other tea for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.  Hell I can try several different ways to see what I personally enjoy, I'm not out anything for trying many methods.

Edited by SacredMountain, 15 December 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#8 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:50 PM

Seems like a nice, chill time overall. But next time, try changing your tea procedure. 60-70 minutes is a long time. I'm not sure it affected the potency much though, but longer is definitely not better when making mushroom tea.

I followed the recipe pretty well except I went stronger and added extra water at the end.  Notice the steeping time in the recipe I posted.

Thanks

Edited by SacredMountain, 15 December 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#9 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:55 PM

Where did you learn how to make tea? That's the most complicated approach I've ever seen and probably had a negative effect on the overall potency.

If there was any body load (unpleasant feelings like nausea, etc.) then the lime juice soak would be the way to go instead of tea.

If you want transformative then go with 5 grams or above, but try to avoid doses between 3 and 5 grams (they are high enough to challenge the Ego but not high enough to make it shut up and sit in the corner, so it can get unpleasant. At 5 or above it's a whole different kind of experience).

And 3 grams of synthesized psilocybin would be roughly 30 oblliterate-the-ego visionary doses (so about thirty 5-gram doses of dry cubensis). If I did the math right, that is.

https://mycotopia.ne...hoopin-tea-tek/

I didn't experience anything unpleasant.

I am to understand that a therapeutic dose is about 3g -  3 1/2g.  Was shooting for that type of experience for my 1st.  I did read that the 3-5g dosages can cause some issues with the Ego clinging on.

Do You have any idea of the amount of a synthesized version of psilocybin that is being used in the current trials that are/have been going on?

Thanks

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,014 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

Do You have any idea of the amount of a synthesized version of psilocybin that is being used in the current trials that are/have been going on?

Thanks

No, but it's probably somewhere between 50-100 mg.

And it looks like you found one of the first tea teks ever, lol. If it works and you like the results then that's all the matters. I've never actually made mushroom tea, oddly enough (with actives; I make lots of reishi tea). 

They way I ingested them for years was to powder them in a coffee grinder (to a very fine powder), take about half a mouthful of ice-cold grapefruit juice, then pour a heaping spoonful of the powder on top of the juice (I have to lean my head back). I swish it for a couple of seconds to make sure all the powder is wet and then swallow it in one gulp while taking care not to breathe at all through my nose. For 5-6 grams of dry fungi this takes 3-4 tablespoons of powder (more if you don't have as big a mouth as I do, lol). It's actually not as bad as it might sound, but there are definitely better methods. And it hits real hard and fast like this, too. But not quite as fast as tea or soaked in lime juice.

#11 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:20 AM

Thanks

No, but it's probably somewhere between 50-100 mg.

And it looks like you found one of the first tea teks ever, lol. If it works and you like the results then that's all the matters. I've never actually made mushroom tea, oddly enough (with actives; I make lots of reishi tea). 

They way I ingested them for years was to powder them in a coffee grinder (to a very fine powder), take about half a mouthful of ice-cold grapefruit juice, then pour a heaping spoonful of the powder on top of the juice (I have to lean my head back). I swish it for a couple of seconds to make sure all the powder is wet and then swallow it in one gulp while taking care not to breathe at all through my nose. For 5-6 grams of dry fungi this takes 3-4 tablespoons of powder (more if you don't have as big a mouth as I do, lol). It's actually not as bad as it might sound, but there are definitely better methods. And it hits real hard and fast like this, too. But not quite as fast as tea or soaked in lime juice.

Do you believe that the grapefruit juice does anything to the actives or the experience?  I have read back and forth debates, everything anecdotal.

I plan to just grind or chop finely then swallow next time, no tea, no citrus.

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,014 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:56 AM

Do you believe that the grapefruit juice does anything to the actives or the experience?  I have read back and forth debates, everything anecdotal.

I plan to just grind or chop finely then swallow next time, no tea, no citrus.

No, though there may be some sort of mild effect from the bioflavonoids in the juice, which are known to potentiate some medications. But it doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on mushrooms. I used it because it's got a stronger flavor than most juices and covers the taste of the fungi better.

Now I just stick with lime soaks or mixed with honey. I definitely prefer the lime juice method over all others (which works because of the very low pH, so you can use a saturated solution of citric acid crystals dissolved in water, too).

You're going to have to wash the powder down with something otherwise you'll just cough it all into the air. It's a method that requires a bit of focus and coordination and is best done by the kitchen sink since if you make a mistake you might trigger a gag reflex and expel the mix of juice and powder rather forcefully (especially if you can't get each mouthful all down in one swallow).

Oh, and try not to breathe mushroom dust if you powder your dose. If you inhale too much it can irritate the hell out of your lungs and really mess up what would have otherwise been a nice time. I was wheezing and coughing up crap for a few days when I inhaled too much on one occasion, but it was when I'd powdered several ounces to make a year's supply of honey tubs so single-dose quantities are probably not a big deal.

That said, small quantities (single doses) can be a pain in the ass to powder in a coffee grinder since the stems sometimes just bounce around and don't get powdered unless there's enough mass present to prevent that.

Edited by TVCasualty, 16 December 2019 - 11:57 AM.

#13 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:39 PM

I will def wash it down with something, prob just water.  Powder in the mouth would be hell to swallow LOL

I want to try the citrus soak in the future.  I also want to see what the trip is like when its just straight swallow, be it powder or pieces. I have a tea trip under my belt now, although not at a powerful dosage.

#14 Nibano

Nibano

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:58 AM

I followed the recipe pretty well except I went stronger and added extra water at the end.  Notice the steeping time in the recipe I posted.

Thanks

Now I'm answering kind of late, but I still want to answer this. I'm sorry if a seemed like a doubter and condescending, it was not my intention. I was mostly really surprised, since I have never heard about a tea tek before that says to steep for that long. But since you followed an actual tek, I suppose that the tea procedure wasn't the problem.

Unless someone has scientifically verified the actual potency of a short (15min) steep vs. a long (30min+) steep, then I am going to go with the premise of steeping for long periods of time to get something stronger and extract the most nutrients i.e, bone broths, or any other tea for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.  Hell I can try several different ways to see what I personally enjoy, I'm not out anything for trying many methods.

Now, I am sorry if I misunderstand and if you already know this, but be careful with steeping for too long. Since the tek you followed seems to have been made by an experienced guy, those times should be fine. But remember that longer isn't always better.

While I haven't noticed a difference in potency comparing the way I make tea and a 30 minute steep, maybe 60-70 minutes is better. I honestly don't know. But sooner or later it comes to a point where it just starts to degrade rather than increasing potency. Longer is only better to an extent, and that I am at least sure of.

I apologize if you already knew this and if I'm saying things that are already obvious to you. I honestly only want to help, and don't mean to be condescending our seem like a smartass. Though I am aware that I do come off as that sometimes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!