• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Painfullyaware

Painfullyaware

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

I’m working on my first actual mushroom grow and I’ve run into my first real problem. I’m in my third day of the pinning stage and this morning I noticed a few spots in each monotub that have a slight yellow discoloration. As shown on the pics I have a storage bin with a mister blowing mist into each monotub through PVP pipe and both temperature and humidity are monitored and adjusted with a Irkbird ITC-608T controller. I’m thinking that the problem is that even though the Inkbird was keeping the humidity at the levels I set it too I was still spraying the monotub and there was a good amount of water built up on the sides and top of the monotub. I have since whipped off all the water from the sides and top of the monotub and as seen on the pic below although the humidity is at the level it should be there is no longer all that dripping water on the top and sides of the monotub, just a fine mist in the tub itself. Hopefully this will stop the yellow discoloration which I’m guessing is either contamination or something I read about called “mycelium piss). Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail_IMG_2327.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2328.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2320.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2321.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2322.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2319.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_2323.jpg

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

How are you providing air circulation other than the holes all taped up? It might be that not much of the mist you put in there can get out, that will make it build up in there. A simple solution would be to remove some of the tape.

Both subs don't look real fresh, and I think you might be right in assuming you have something else going on in there, unfortunately. If that is the case you should not remove any of the tape and see if that that fixes it, but you would have to get rid of it and start over.

I wouldn't follow my advice directly, hope some more people can have a look at it for you.

Cheers

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 December 2019 - 11:11 AM.

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

Looks like the usual metabolite droplets (the "myc. piss"). Not a problem.

Once the pins set (caps darken), drop the rH to around 85%. As they mature they will add a lot of humidity to the bin and so will need a large increase in fresh air exchange, too. Too-dry is much better than too-wet, so err on the side of less mist rather than more at this stage.

• dial8 and Fungi2b like this

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

I didnt see any droplets, what I did see is a greenish/yellow hue on big parts of the sub. But I now think that might be my screen playing tricks on me.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 December 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:22 AM

The areas where the substrate is not fully colonized look like some type of contamination to me... The yellow droplets or discoloration are likely metabolites as TV had said but if there is excessive amounts then there is likely a competitor. Metabolites are produced as a result of the metabolic process, but they are also produced in excess to fight contamination. Metabolites have anti-bacterial properties.

I would be concerned about the areas that have not fully colonized... That is almost always a sign of contamination, most often bacterial issues... How does it smell? Sweet or funky at all?

#6 Painfullyaware

Painfullyaware

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

There is  really no sweet or funky smell that i notice? i stopped spraying the tub and just let the mister take care of the humidity and the yellow spots have seemed to fade and i  didn't notice any new spots.Ive set the humidity to 95% as recommended in Paul Stamets  book The Mushroom Cultivator I really didn't read that much of his book so much as i just copied the growing parameters for some of the strains i was interested in like the Psilocybe azurescens but first i would really like to get one damn successful grow under my belt before figuring out how to get the temp in my closet down to 50-60F for that particular mushroom.Hopefuly ill grow at least one frigging mushroom with the tubs Ive got going now so i can get some agar plates going and no longer deal with this spore syringe crap, im really starting here from nothing and am basically rubbing two sticks together. Hopefully ill manage to grow at least a couple shrooms for some agar and maybe even a few spore prints. I have penis envy spores on the way and if they go well after my current Golden teacher grow i would have figured out how to get those low temps in my closet for the azurescens. Hopefully by that time i will be able to build a laminar air flow box because the still air box i made is very annoying.

#7 Painfullyaware

Painfullyaware

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:02 PM

Day 6 and pinning has started.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

• TVCasualty likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,514 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

Nice!

Getting your first pins is a momentous occasion, so congratulations!

And I would strongly encourage you to drop the rH in your bins to ~85%, tops. You can get away with 95%, but only if you ensure a LOT of fresh air exchange (like you could arrange with commercial-scale equipment like Stamets assumed was in use in that rather old and somewhat dated book). The mushrooms themselves boost the humidity as they mature, and excessive humidity combined with not-fresh air gives a big boost to potential contaminants.

• Painfullyaware likes this

#9 Painfullyaware

Painfullyaware

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:39 PM

Thanks, ill post pics before harvest.I stopped using the mist machine and have been spraying by hand because the small monotub i was only spraying by hand pinned much faster and are much bigger at this point.In doing so the humidity has gone down.

Edited by Painfullyaware, 21 December 2019 - 09:42 PM.

#10 Painfullyaware

Painfullyaware

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

Managed to get 190 Grams from my first grow attempt.

tn_gallery_162379_3_237136.jpg

• TVCasualty and PJammer24 like this

#11 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:08 AM

Well thats one way to start the New Year. Congratulations brother.
  • PJammer24 and Painfullyaware like this

#12 Painfullyaware

Painfullyaware

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:18 PM

Thanks.

#13 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:39 PM

Did you paint your tub or use a liner? If that's paint I'm not sure it's gonna help you much. You use a liner like a garbage bag that will cling to the sub as it shrinks. The liner prevents side pins by denying your sub a micro climate between your sub and bin. Liners force evap from the top of the sub helping for a better pinset leading to better flushes.

#14 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

Did you paint your tub or use a liner? If that's paint I'm not sure it's gonna help you much. You use a liner like a garbage bag that will cling to the sub as it shrinks. The liner prevents side pins by denying your sub a micro climate between your sub and bin. Liners force evap from the top of the sub helping for a better pinset leading to better flushes

Not sure where you read this but it is not entirely true... There may be a little less evaporation with a liner but it wouldn't make a significant difference on first flush... If the liner shrinks with the sub in later flushes, it will help limit a beneficial micro-climate along the sides and bottom but it is just as much, if not more about blocking the light... When the sides and bottom aren't getting light then the mushrooms will grow upwards. They fruit in the direction of the light and this is where the liner is beneficial...

IME, the liner doesn't really stick to the sides of the substrate all that well as it begins to shrink in later flushes... That micro-climate will still be along the edges and bottom in many cases. Especially after being dunked, the liner doesn't keep contact with the sub well enough to eliminate a micro-climate that promotes fruiting...

• coorsmikey, pastyoureyes, RutgerHauer and 1 other like this

#15 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

I have painted my FCs as well and after a few grows I can confirm it will do the job pretty well. Especially in the first flush, no mushrooms growing from the side or bottom at all. On the second and third flush - of course because of the microclimate as the sub shrinks and there has been time to form pins there - there will be side pins, but they will grow upwards like PJ mentioned.

Anyway, on the second flush, if the first one was decent enough to cover much of the substrate, then it will work in your advantage because the top of the substrate will need more time to recover before there will be many more mushrooms growing on top. The sides will produce in abundance then.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 03 February 2020 - 12:51 PM.

• Fungi2b likes this

#16 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Well shit fellas guess it's just me, maybe I'll paint one and do a side by side maybe I'm stuck in the past lol. I don't disagree with anything you guys said cause all the reasoning makes sence to me. Light isn't a pinning trigger but shows the mush the way up. Maybe if I can get r.h and fae dialed in perfect I wouldn't need my liners and caseings.

#17 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

I'll stop suggesting the liners and case where I think it would help and let you guys with more experience guide.

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

I'll stop suggesting the liners and case where I think it would help and let you guys with more experience guide.

The liners aren't necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think it impacts the micro climate a whole lot... When the substrate starts to shrink and pulls away from the liner. One the first flush, the liner isn't a whole lot different than the side of the tub would be...

The liner will block light and help minimize side pinning, it just doesn't do a whole lot for the micro-climate IMO... I think it is more of a pain than it is worth but it can certainly help with the side pinning just not for the reasons you suggest in a lot of cases.

#19 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

Right on, typically I use the thinner bags and they stick while the sub shrinks. (Dollar store brand)

#20 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,682 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:46 PM

Right on, typically I use the thinner bags and they stick while the sub shrinks. (Dollar store brand)

moving thread into magic mush forum, OP is a free member now

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!