#21 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

Did you paint your tub or use a liner? If that's paint I'm not sure it's gonna help you much. You use a liner like a garbage bag that will cling to the sub as it shrinks. The liner prevents side pins by denying your sub a micro climate between your sub and bin. Liners force evap from the top of the sub helping for a better pinset leading to better flushes

Not sure where you read this but it is not entirely true... There may be a little less evaporation with a liner but it wouldn't make a significant difference on first flush... If the liner shrinks with the sub in later flushes, it will help limit a beneficial micro-climate along the sides and bottom but it is just as much, if not more about blocking the light... When the sides and bottom aren't getting light then the mushrooms will grow upwards. They fruit in the direction of the light and this is where the liner is beneficial...

IME, the liner doesn't really stick to the sides of the substrate all that well as it begins to shrink in later flushes... That micro-climate will still be along the edges and bottom in many cases. Especially after being dunked, the liner doesn't keep contact with the sub well enough to eliminate a micro-climate that promotes fruiting...
Two different schools of thought here and I don't think either is 100% perfect.

I've had a tub without a liner or paint grow fruits on the bottom where the tub was in contact with the table it was sitting on, how did light trigger this growth? How would i even know whats going on in there if the tub Isn't clear?

Using a black trash bag as a liner i've noticed the liner does cling to the sub and shrink along with it. The fruits come out of the top of the sub. Dunking compromises the "seal" between the liner and the sub and I eventually wind up with sidepins anyway. The only workaround is to not dunk but mist heavily between flushes. Sometimes this causes the liner to pull away from the sub too but not as much as dunking. Liners really are a pain in the ass in more ways than one. I almost always get creases when applying the liner and have had cobweb make those creases home.

gallery_150062_1672_1604568.jpg

#22 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

In the above photo, it is still fruiting from the sides... They are growing upward because that is where the light is but there is still a micro climate along the sides that is better suited than the center of the sub for pinning...

This photo reinforces my point that the liner is beneficial for blocking light but does little to impact the micro-climate that encourages fruiting from the sides...

• Stencill86 likes this

#23 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:54 AM

Yes they are growing along the sides but are still on the top plane. Interpret that however you would like.

I posted this photo more to illustrate how the creases in the corners can become a harbor for contams. See lower right.
  • Fungi2b likes this

#24 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:33 AM

For reference here is a tub i did without a liner.

gallery_150062_1522_156820.jpg

gallery_150062_1522_2205113.jpg

#25 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

Sides, bottom or top mushies, they all work the same. I never had cob web i trim away all the extra liner when I case the sub. Guess it really boils down to preferences, mush will grow with or without a liner I just prefer most of my mush growing where I can pick them. I'm wondering if lightly covering the sub with foil or plastic between mist and fans would cause the same "micro climate" on the top of the sub that forms along the sides. Has anyone tried this?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!