I have heard that casing is not necessary but since i am working in less than ideal conditions, i used it to help keep contams down. I put the casing on right away and it became fully colonized. It looks like a nice pin set but i think some of the casing may have tagged along when the pins sprouted causing issues. From the pics, it looks more like scarring than a mutation but i could be wrong.
I wasn't sure you used a casing. When did you apply it? For Cubensis you don't necessarily need it, so maybe you could do without it and just let it fully colonize so at least you would exclude that from the possibilities of that being the issue. If it is petroleum residue that has the effect I'm not sure what to do. Changing one thing at a time will tell you more than changing everything so maybe not casing it after colonization (assuming you did that) is enough to tell you more on a next grow.
I am not sure about whether a print would be a better idea than a clone. You could try both and get them on agar, maybe it both works - or maybe you can get something clean from them. I would guess a print would be better, especially if you could take it from a mushroom that was still (partially) closed.
You are right. Changing one thing at a time would be the best way to experiment. I will try it without the casing next time.
If it is the casing, maybe the next flush will be better. That may offer some clues as well.
Edited by Melonmuziq, 18 December 2019 - 01:50 PM.