• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Cycling is, or can be, a lifestyle. A really healthy one, too. But also dangerous as hell.

For anyone who rides a lot and hasn't seen it yet, this is a brilliant and simple (and cheap!) idea for boosting safety when riding on highways:

post-102948-0-83282200-1577042617.jpg

It's so simple that all you need to do is look at the photo to get it. But there was an article, too: https://qz.com/16209...-a-pool-noodle/

In related news, something that's becoming a serious safety concern for pedestrians and cyclists are daytime running lights on cars.

They are partly to blame for the rise in accidents with pedestrians and cyclists because when a driver looks left to see if a car is coming, their eyes are reflexively drawn to the running lights of an approaching vehicle and the decision to pull into traffic will be based on how far away that vehicle is. But in focusing on the vehicle's lights, pedestrians and especially cyclists are easily overlooked and can (and do) get hit when a driver pulls out in front of (or into) them. So now bikes ridden on roads need big strong lights on the front in the daytime, too.

Attached Thumbnails

• noodle.jpg

• onediadem, Skywatcher and RutgerHauer like this

#2 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:32 PM

Hate it when dudes be riding around without their daytime running lights on. Its dangerous people don't notice you as well

Edited by flashingrooster, 22 December 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,224 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

After my years of motorcycling, I would never bicycle on the roads.   I want to be able to outrun the cars if needs be, while at least keeping up the rest of the time.

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:49 PM

Nice idea!

I am happy there is a bicycle lane network all across my country so I don't need to ride on highways. Would be scary.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 22 December 2019 - 05:57 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

After my years of motorcycling, I would never bicycle on the roads.   I want to be able to outrun the cars if needs be, while at least keeping up the rest of the time.

After being hit by a car on two different occasions in what's considered one of the most "bike friendly" cities in the U.S. I decided I didn't want to be a martyr for alternative means of transportation either.

The irony is that I never even got close to being hit by a car when I'd ride at night with no lights or reflectors and with dark clothing on and had no regard for any traffic laws and considered things like stairs to be viable bike paths (stairs are especially handy when evading police in parking garages). By running dark we (I wasn't alone on these rides) knew that no drivers could see us so we rode accordingly. I only got smacked while following the rules, and once was in broad daylight.

Technically-speaking I hit the car in one of those instances, but I was hammering down the street in my big ring and some idiot turned right right in front of me. He'd passed right by me before doing so, but like most car drivers who've never driven or ridden anything else he had no real appreciation for just how fast a bicycle can go on a flat street. People that threw shit at me (every urban cyclist has this happen) also discovered this the hard way, often to their shock and horror (and deeply-gouged paint). I could almost always catch 'em in traffic, then I'd un-clip and coast by them sliding the cleat along the side of their car (which they could clearly hear happening), give 'em a big smile, then roll on.

• Tenderfoot likes this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

Nice idea!

I am happy there is a bicycle lane network all across my country so I don't need to ride on highways. Would be scary.

It's an insane and infuriating situation in the U.S..

Here bicycles are generally viewed as either children's toys or what you have to use to get around when you lose your driver's license. And as everyone knows, neither exercise nor going outside play much of a role in American culture but cars do, so the concept of exercising outdoors as a form of transportation is virtually unimaginable to most Americans. So there is no real support in most places for any bicycle infrastructure or lanes, and even less money.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:57 AM

Earlier in the day, a car started to come into my lane next to me and I was able to kick a nice fat dent in their door and was able to pull into the center double yellow divider out of harms way. I was in a horrible motorcycle wreck that afternoon. Car pulled out from the curb right in front of me and I had no time to do anything but hit her. hat was 35 years ago. It took me a long time to recover with broken bones and a pretty bad brain injury. There is no way I would consider riding again in the climate of drivers on the road more interested in their phones than keeping their eyes on the road. I almost got clipped on the interstate today by  a car racing in and out of traffic coming down the pass.

If you think driving with your phone is ok, think again. My brother in law killed a family of 5. He never was mentally ok after that and killed himself a year and a half ago.

For love of all, please, please be aware and safe while driving. It literally only takes a second to ruin lives.

accident.jpg

• Tenderfoot likes this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

Damn, sorry to hear that. No words feel right in response to such a story. My extended family has one, too (one of my cousins is the only survivor of his immediate family after a horrific wreck with a drunk driver).

It's more than a little troubling to consider how common texting and driving still is along with the fact that studies are showing that it's more dangerous than driving drunk. Waaaay back in the "good ol' days" (like ~15 years ago) we only had to be paranoid about crazies and drunks on the roads if we were out late at night. Now it's 24/7, and it's almost like one of the new rites of passage for teenagers is having their first seemingly-inevitable distracted-driving "accident" before they are convinced that they aren't as good at multi-tasking as they thought.

This was from today, and the good news is that at least he wasn't killed:

A cyclist attempting to ride around the world has been badly injured after being knocked off his bike in the US.

Josh Quigley, 27, from Livingston, had to be airlifted to hospital after being hit by a car whilst cycling through the state of Texas.

Writing on his Facebook page, he said: "I don't remember much about it but I've been told by the police that I was struck from behind by a vehicle driving at 70mph.

"After the vehicle hit me I was launched off the bike and landed 50 feet away.

"This happened whilst riding at night wearing reflective clothing and with strong rear lights."

https://www.bbc.com/...t-fife-50886714

Texas, huh? While lit up like a Christmas tree, no less.

A hundred bucks says some redneck did it on purpose, probably a passenger of a vehicle smacking him with something held out the window as they drove by. This happens a lot, though not so often at 70 mph.

Good news is relative, and these days I guess we take what we can get.

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:28 AM

I've got to admit that the noodle idea looks like an invitation to play tag. I'm not being facetious in the least and I would strongly discourage what would otherwise be a very clever, useful idea.  

Take that statement with a grain of salt - I was born and raised in the "great republic of Texas". And yeah - they give ZERO fucks about people exercising (jogging, cycling, etc.) 

The only acceptable forms of exercise in that state are - Playing football or fighting about football. 

Bikes are children's toys

:::Just to clarify. 

I moved from that state long ago and have been an avid cyclist ever since I overcame some of my social predispositions against health - eating right, exercising, meditation, etc. 

And I have bicycle toured The Netherlands from top to bottom. Flew into Schiphole, assembled my bike in the airport concourse, and rode my bike across the country for 16 days. 

Wanna go somewhere where even pedestrians yield the right-of-way to bicycles?..........  

I never felt more respected and safe on my bike than in the NL. Heck, I didn't even wear a helmet for the entire trip!!!  I wouldn't dream of doing that here in the US. 

Edited by Myc, 23 December 2019 - 10:31 AM.

• Tenderfoot and Juthro like this

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

It's a tough call on the pool noodle; I can see both sides having good arguments.

It's likely to help give you more room by psychologically nudging the majority of average, non-psychopathic drivers with average, dim awareness to move over a bit.  So most of the time it would probably increase your safety. But then a sociopathic, maladjusted guy comes along who sees it as some sort of challenge or a personal affront to their unquestionable dominance of the highway and does something stupid.

That sort of shit is why some of my friends who do long road rides in lonely stretches of desert open-carry. They got hit by fewer thrown objects after starting to do that. But only slightly fewer.

Riding in Europe only makes the frustration of doing here worse since it shows you just how nice things could have been here if we hadn't made cars our culture's sacred cows back when oil was cheap 'n' easy and the land seemed limitless.

• Myc likes this

#11 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

RE: Open carry on a bike

Yep. Some of us cyclists spend large amounts of money to get a super, ultra-light carbon frame bicycle. Many of them weigh less than 15 lbs.  It gives plenty of room to carry a 4.34 pound, .50 caliber Desert Eagle. For when you need to reach out and touch someone special.

That's also a beauty part of cycling. The attire is somewhat anonymizing. So long as there weren't any witnesses............just keep on pedaling.

Would that make me a cyco-path?

Edited by Myc, 23 December 2019 - 02:46 PM.

• TVCasualty, Tenderfoot and bezevo like this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,224 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

The single highway through this county I live in (with not a single traffic light) has many places with zero shoulder.  We don't see many bikes on the road here.  WA's SR4 should be avoided by cyclists would be my advice. 

• Juthro likes this

#13 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 812 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:05 PM

Yes carry a 4.34 pound, .50 caliber Desert Eagle. For when you need to reach out and touch someone special.

The right 50 cal round will go right threw and engine block if your apposed to ending the driver.

TO BAD  all the red tape for the 3 shot burst option  with the Desert Eagle .

Edited by bezevo, 23 December 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:02 AM

Since I have a bit of experience with live-fire conflict resolution it occurs to me that anyone carrying on a bike should train shooting accurately from it at least once.

Set up some targets on a suitable stretch of road in the middle of nowhere then ride by at your normal speed and see if you can draw and hit any. Hitting a stationary target from a moving platform is tricky, and hitting a moving target from a moving platform is really tricky. Especially with a hand-held cannon like a .50-cal Desert Eagle (when a .44 Mag just doesn't cut it, lol).

It will probably be the case that stopping to aim (i.e., with your feet on the ground) will be more productive, and hitting a vehicle that is speeding away from you would be relatively easy unless it swerves a lot but that opens up some problematic legal issues, such as 3rd or maybe even 2nd degree murder charges. While looking relatively anonymous, you'd also probably be the only person out there on a bike so you'd have to get off the road, ditch the bike and change clothes ASAP.

As an incentive for others to be polite, an openly-carried weapon is real handy but if shit starts to actually happen it could easily cause us more trouble than it solves. Anyone who lacks a cool head and has poor impulse control about such things might regret carrying, so it's not good general advice for most people (and especially most roadies, lol). When a car fucks with a cyclist, it's mostly (IME) done by a passenger. If you get smacked by a bottle or big spit cup of chewing tobacco it's still not legal to shoot at them, and in any case who is to blame? The driver, the one who threw something, or both?

Being alone also greatly reduces the effectiveness of having a weapon because like in the case of the British guy in the story above, he was hit by something or clipped by a bumper as the vehicle went by at 70 mph, which precludes any chance of responding whether one is armed or not. But riding in pairs or groups where more than one are carrying changes the whole equation and seems to be the most effective way to ensure a safe ride in the middle of nowhere in a land crawling with violent and stupid creatures that strongly resemble humans.

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,974 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:22 AM

Truth is I was being a jerk - indulging in fantasy. The fact is that a holstered weapon serves as the same type of visual trigger as the pool noodle (as far as attracting the interest of a psychopath). 

And you're right.........firing a canon from a moving (self-powered) vehicle is going to be difficult. Especially if you were just clipped at 70 mph. Trouble is, the mass of the weapon itself could contribute to the damage incurred during the (inevitable) crash. 

My neighbor up the street was clipped at a residential intersection and left for dead. The offender simply clipped the guy and fled the scene without even slowing down - even though they were well aware that they had run over another human being. 

My neighbor still rides. Nowadays, he sports a non-metallic, surgically installed plate which serves as part of his skull. (Did I mention he was left for dead?) He says he really doesn't remember much after being knocked over so I guess that's a blessing - even though he had to learn to walk and talk again during recovery after major surgery. In all, he has made a (mostly) complete recovery while the offender was never identified.

People get shot in their driveways over resisting car-jackers in this town. It has happened twice in the past two years. I chalk it up to the sad "yay team, and fuck everybody else" social paradigm we seem to be stuck with. Where even though we are all on the same team (Team America - World Police), we still have division within that structure (Eagles, Patriots, Giants, Redskins.......Prettier than you are.........Richer than you are.........got a newer phone than you have.........drive a bigger car than you do...)  And we're still (largely) the saddest, loneliest society on earth. 

Edited by Myc, 24 December 2019 - 11:24 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#16 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,224 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:27 AM

...a hand-held cannon like a .50-cal Desert Eagle...

Everyone here already knows the issues I have with Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.  That said, thinking of fifty caliber hand cannons discharged from balance sensitive lightweight vehicular contrivances, it occurs to me that I have no such issues with Newton's Third Law of Motion.

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 14,224 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:31 AM

I had a friend who was a great drummer with the body and face you find on the covers of paperback romance novels.  He was run over and left for dead on a Portland, Oregon bridge.   In this case, the driver was correct.  He was dead. 

• Juthro likes this

#18 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

I would love to see a .50 cal drive by performed on a bicycle with the speed suit on. That's a you tube viral video in the making for sure

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,982 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:23 PM

I had a friend who was a great drummer with the body and face you find on the covers of paperback romance novels.  He was run over and left for dead on a Portland, Oregon bridge.   In this case, the driver was correct.  He was dead. 

I feel for your loss Alder.  Car vs bike confrontations end that way all too often.

I got hit by a car while riding a mountain bike almost 30 years ago.  I was in a bike lane, but the driver who was pulling out of a parking lot didn't see me.  She also didn't stop.  A broken nose, some cracked ribs, a couple of missing teeth, a cracked skull, and a rather bent mountain bike was what I was left with from that encounter.

Muscle powered vehicles of all sorts, and gas powered vehicles of all sorts, sharing the same roadway is always going to be a recipe for disaster, IMHO anyway.

• onediadem, Myc and Alder Logs like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!