• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Windthot

Windthot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

I'm a bit confused. Most mushroom supplements generally state "no" mycilium (like it is bad). Yet Paul Staments whom I respect says lions mane mycilium has way more active good stuff than the fruiting mushroom (on Joe Rogan podcast). Any thoughts on why there is a dichotomy here? Also, is isolating the mycilium as easy as growing a liquid culture and for lack of beter terms straining out the mycilium? Ideas, thoughts???

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,534 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:53 PM

I'm studying the idea too and figured the same thing. Just make a thick liquid culture and consume the liquid culture in measured doses.

Another method involves propagation on popcorn. After colonization the mycelium is rinsed from the surface of the grains.

Still not sure how you would quantify what was being dosed either way.

And I'm under the same impression as you - if Stamets recommends mycelial extract over fruit bodies, I simply assume that he must have done (or read) some research.

#3 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:35 AM

My thought was that since different strains had a variety of uses, that some would respond to abundance or lack of fresh air, hydration, shallow or deep cycles, and available food vitamins and minerals.

Same as us kind of. We aren't all good for the same things and don't thrive on the same set of environmental conditions. There's a range of life, where water exists , a rather narrow temp and pressure band that the borders are rather uncomfortable for occupying. I only observe this due to the narrow band of visible light and sound that I am able to discern. 

I trust the reason that we don't understand more is that we can't handle it, and it would make living as we know it unbearable. Or someone would make it unbearable for us. If you knew the secret of the meaning of everything, you certainly wouldn't tell anyone would you? Please don't tell me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!