Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

When and How Should I Mist My Colonized Casted Sub Cake?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:43 AM

I casted the colonized cake in dry sterilized verm. When and How Should I Mist My Colonized Casted Sub Cake?  Thank You 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.jpg

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:47 AM

The function of a casing is to keep humidity up on the surface, so it would be best to hydrate it now with a little mist : I have no idea how often or how much you would have to mist, I think you will have to get a feel for that to know what is too much.

Most people hydrate their casings before applying it, in that case you won't have to mist for a while.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 25 December 2019 - 03:48 AM.

• wilspeak likes this

#3 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:55 AM

The function of a casing is to keep humidity up on the surface, so it would be best to hydrate it now with a little mist : I have no idea how often or how much you would have to mist, I think you will have to get a feel for that to know what is too much.

Most people hydrate their casings before applying it, in that case you won't have to mist for a while.

Thank You. I misted them right after I applied the top layer of verm. How long do you think it will take to fruit? Also I want to thank You for all your help. You are one of the people how have helped me learn this hobby. and there is still much more to learn 

• RutgerHauer likes this

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 934 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:19 AM

No need to thank me. It is my pleasure to share the little knowledge I have..

It can take a while before it will start to fruit, a casing can add a few days to that since the mycelium will probably grow into that a little. I have some things going that started showing the first pins around 12-14 days after colonization and they are still mostly just developing pins after a few days, without much "fruiting" happening.

It can happen quicker or more slowly, depending on genetics, conditions and just plain luck I guess.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 25 December 2019 - 04:21 AM.

• wilspeak and MindHunter like this

#5 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:37 AM

My advice is always the same with misting casing layers. Mist when needed.

What I mean is you want a good humid microclimate on the surface. And don’t forget you want continued evaporation to occur as well. Not too wet and not too dry. Properly running/maintaining a casing layer is an art form IMO. Start off with full field capacity casing material and slowly mist as much as it takes to keep the humidity at the surface high. This could be several times a day or a couple of times a week. It just depends on your setup, relative Rh, growing style, etc.

Good vibes.
  • wilspeak and MindHunter like this

#6 deepblueseawhale

deepblueseawhale

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

Let me quote DonShadow if I may, as his advice served me well:

"REMEMBER: Evaporation triggers primordia formation. When you mist, you want the casing just glistening, NOT saturated. I like to run the fan for five to ten minutes immediately after misting, but this isn't necessary. Before misting again, wait until the casing looks light brown and spongey/fluffy (not dry/crusty). Misting two times daily is the maximum requirement. I usually mist once in the morning and once before bedtime."

But this is from his ShadowBox manual. If your setup is different you might need to apply some changes to that.

See also my related questions on this topic in an earlier post.

Edited by deepblueseawhale, 25 December 2019 - 08:09 AM.

• wilspeak likes this

#7 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:46 AM

My advice is always the same with misting casing layers. Mist when needed.

What I mean is you want a good humid microclimate on the surface. And don’t forget you want continued evaporation to occur as well. Not too wet and not too dry. Properly running/maintaining a casing layer is an art form IMO. Start off with full field capacity casing material and slowly mist as much as it takes to keep the humidity at the surface high. This could be several times a day or a couple of times a week. It just depends on your setup, relative Rh, growing style, etc.

Good vibes.

Thank You

• peacefrog likes this

#8 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 12:41 PM

Anytime.

This hobby of ours just takes several mistakes and failures (at least in my case anyway) to get the feel for it. And most importantly, learning from the countless mistakes lol. You will easily be able to “read” the substrate and/or casing layer after a while just by using your eyes.

Again, good vibes on your grow my friend.
  • coorsmikey and wilspeak like this

#9 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

Are we to stop misting once pins form? If so, what is needed to maintain hydration.
  • wilspeak likes this

#10 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

Are we to stop misting once pins form? If so, what is needed to maintain hydration.

Cubensis? They will not be hindered by misting. Mist away.

Edited by peacefrog, 25 December 2019 - 08:10 PM.

• wilspeak and FesterAddams like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!