54 replies to this topic

#1 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

Feel free to use this thread to document any and all relevant information pertaining to the cultivation of Psilocybin mushrooms from Mexico (i.g. Ps. caerulescens, mexicana, hoogshagenii/semperviva, zapotecorum etc.)

This is the fruiting chamber I use for most of my grows. It also features a successful grow of the Jalisco strain of Ps. mexicana: https://mycotopia.ne...-grow-tutorial/

Here's a link to a successful grow of Psilocybe hoogshagenii/semperviva using the aforementioned fruiting chamber: https://mycotopia.ne...two +substrates

Right now I'm working on a strain of the landslide or "derrumbe" variety of Ps. caerulescens.

This tray has been in fruiting conditions for one month. The grain spawn was whole oats. The substrate is coconut coir supplemented with coffee grounds and oat bran. I've attached a PDF of the exact substrate recipe below. The temperature is about 72F, humidity 95-99% with constant air exchange via an aquarium air pump and automated exhaust fanning for three minutes every six hours. The mycelium has overlayed the casing, which is a 10 : 1 : 0.5 ratio of peat moss : CaCO3 : sand.

Attached File  CoirSub.pdf   62.73KB   60 downloads

IMG_0533.JPG

I had an extra jar of Ps. caerulescens grain spawn on whole oats, and a leftover bag of pure hardwood sawdust spawn, so I decided to do an experiment and spawn the jar because another 'topia member believes that Ps. caerulescens may be lignicolous (wood-loving). This bag is about a week old, incubating around 70F:

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

I'm also attempting to grow Psilocybe zapotecorum. I have a multispore LC incubating presently, so things are moving along steadily.

Edited by DonShadow, 27 December 2019 - 05:45 PM.

• Samwise, Tenderfoot, bezevo and 6 others like this

#2 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:16 PM

Very cool, looking forward to seeing how these go!

• adrian118 and Moonless like this

#3 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

After almost 2 months in fruiting conditions... we have pins! I was ready to abandon this grow completely, but I looked in yesterday morning with the intention of tossing the substrate and, lo and behold, there is one large pin and dozens more forming. It seems this species benefits from high humidity, moderate airflow (light fanning 2-3x daily) and almost no misting at all, once every couple of days is all that is necessary it seems. I've read that the pins really don't like getting wet. Worst case scenario I will likely get a clone from this grow.

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

And the sawdust bag is fully cooked. For my next attempt, I will use this sawdust spawn to inoculate a few different bulk mixtures, including compost, coir/coffee/bran/sand, and possibly a variety of grains.

IMG_0601.JPG

Edited by DonShadow, 24 January 2020 - 04:43 PM.

• Samwise, deepblueseawhale, newmoon and 5 others like this

#4 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Here's the lone caerulescens fruit today. It's the only pin that survived... the tray is looking a bit contaminated and it smells pretty bad in there, but this little guy is powering through. This species is incredibly slow. Fingers crossed for a print!

IMG_0649.jpeg

• newmoon, ElPirana, ItBeBasidia and 2 others like this

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

This hobby takes patience but dang! Such a beautiful species, good luck with your next grow, hopefully it'll cooperate a little more.
  • DonShadow likes this

#6 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 263 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:48 PM

DonShadow, have you tried plain cased grain with the zapotecorum and caerulescens?

I have some Ps. mexicana "Jalisco" colonizing, have some semperviva cased, and am waiting for some zapotecorum to germinate (am looking for caerulescens spores, but haven't yet found anything). If you don't mind, I'll join in here once something happens. I've been growing tampanensis recently, which isn't quite a mushroom of Mexico, but perhaps is a neighbor...

• DonShadow and YoshiTrainer like this

#7 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:56 AM

Gonna be innoculating some P. tampanensis jars today. Definitely excited to start working with this species!

• DonShadow and Fungi2b like this

#8 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

DonShadow, have you tried plain cased grain with the zapotecorum and caerulescens?

I have some Ps. mexicana "Jalisco" colonizing, have some semperviva cased, and am waiting for some zapotecorum to germinate (am looking for caerulescens spores, but haven't yet found anything). If you don't mind, I'll join in here once something happens. I've been growing tampanensis recently, which isn't quite a mushroom of Mexico, but perhaps is a neighbor...

I haven’t tried cased grain... I’ve never had any luck with it (with any species). I find that the grain loses moisture too quickly. Feel free to document your grows here, this is meant to be a collaborative way to consolidate information about these rare and wonderful funguses. Tampanensis is genetically almost identical to mexicana, and is one of my favourite mushrooms to grow. It fruits abundantly and they are some of the best out there, so I say rock on!

Edited by DonShadow, 05 February 2020 - 11:23 AM.

• Samwise, newmoon, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#9 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

Cool! I'm struggling with environmental control a bit due to the season - my room temperature is 60-65F, and I don't have space at the moment to heat a closet or anything. So, I'm fruiting these in a large cooler with a heat pad/temperature controller. I think the conditions aren't optimal and the fruits aren't very attractive. Looks like they'd like more air flow...

I'll hopefully be moving to a different place soon and will be able to set things up better there.

Tampanensis seems happiest around 75F, I think.

Here are some cakes made from shredded newspaper, wheat flour, and popcorn:

tamp_cake1.jpg tamp_cake2.jpg

And here are some jars of brown rice:

tamp_bottle1.jpg tamp_bottle2.jpg tamp_bottle3.jpg

All of these are using a casing of 1 part coir, 1 part vermiculite, 1/3 part sand (the coarse stuff with small rocks mixed in), and a scoop of CaCO3 (oyster shell flour).

I'll be trying some cased oats in the near future and will let you know how it goes!

• Microbe, DonShadow, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#10 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:04 PM

Hello DonShadow, I'm curious if you are using a blue light with your Caerulescens? In a post by Elfstone, he is using one with Zapotecorum with good results.
  • DonShadow likes this

#11 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

Tampanensis seems happiest around 75F, I think.

That's true... for most subtropical species (pretty much any from mexico), 75F seems to be the sweet spot. In my fruiting chamber TEK I mistakenly referred to Ps. mexicana as a tropical species, which is not very accurate, since the higher altitudes they grow in are more like the subtropics (even though Oaxaxa is below the Tropic of Cancer). Copelandia/Panaeolus species and Ps. cubensis are truly tropical mushrooms, since their habitat is predominantly tropical.

When using fruiting chambers I try to avoid using heating sources that concentrate the heat... it creates too much condensation in the chamber, is difficult to regulate the temperature and can dry things out easily. Always best to try to raise the ambient temperature. In the winter time I'm pretty limited because my heaters are gutless and electricity is bloody expensive, so I just tend to do most of my growing during the warmer seasons.

Hello DonShadow, I'm curious if you are using a blue light with your Caerulescens? In a post by Elfstone, he is using one with Zapotecorum with good results.

I do use a blue light in the 452 nanometer range. I've actually experienced better flushes when using the light only for an hour or so at night time, rather than all day during light hours. My reasoning is that these lights are intended for fish and coral habitats, and their life-cycle is affected by moonlight. The blue light is meant to simulate moonlight in the aquarium. It figure that it follows that fungi probably like it because it must do for them whatever it is that moonlight is contributing, thus it would make sense for them to be exposed to it during the night. Ambient daylight or a 6500 kelvin bulb is fine for the daytime. YMMV.

Edited by DonShadow, 05 February 2020 - 02:00 PM.

• Samwise, newmoon and YoshiTrainer like this

#12 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:33 PM

Thank you very much Don. I knew the light was for night but didn't realise it was only needed for an hour or so, I was guessing hours.

#13 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

I went on a 10-day holiday back in February, and before I left I decided to take a gamble and leave my lone caerulescens fruit to mature. I figured that since it was growing so slowly anyway, I could leave it to do its thing and come back to nice mess of spores, but sadly that was not the case! It didn't grow much larger and became covered in a bacterial contamination. However, after a six-week agar battle and about 40 plates, I managed to get a completely clean culture from a tissue sample. Once it grows out I'll use it for my next grow and hopefully that will increase my chances of success. I'm going to modify the substrate by using a mixture of grains for my spawn, and I'll add some sawdust to my supplemented coir substrate.

IMG_0649.jpeg

90828780_2506063342976800_6661033928616312832_n.jpg

91197163_800894680418141_6957233487736733696_n.jpg

• Samwise, Jrotten, TyWin1010 and 5 others like this

#14 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 632 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

What a rough battle with the contaminated caerulenscence. I'm glad you feel confident about it now. Good luck next time, crossing my fingers for you.

• DonShadow likes this

#15 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the kind words Moonless. I hope you’re carrying on ok through these dark times :)

#16 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:50 PM

At least you've made some lemonade from it all. Hopefully your cloned tissue and new sub are the key, good luck!
  • DonShadow likes this

#17 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:44 PM

Oh damn! That sucks Don:/ would you say that the Psilocybe caerulescens are more difficult to fruit that the P. Zapotecorums? Still a pretty good attempt, twas still a success, you still got fruit. I commend you good sir! I hope to be as good at fruiting exotics as you man. You really have some educational posts on the Mexican mushrooms, I will definitely be posting a grow-log or 2 on here! As you know I currently have Semperviva and Mexicana Chicon Nindo on agar. After 2 days the Mexicana already has begun germinating, I had no idea it was that fast.. I really have to thank you in particular, it was your posts that got me into the "Mexican Mushrooms"... if it weren't for you, I would be trying to figure out how to grow Azurescens indoors right now.. which probably wouldn't work, and definitely wouldn't grow in the wild out here. so it would be a waste of time. Thank you for your posts man, I really owe you big time. also gotta thank Mycotopia as a whole, as it was Mycotopia that go me interested in Mycology about 2 years ago, and here I am today with a lab built specifically for Mycology in my place, and one of the bathrooms converted into a fruiting chamber. Never thought I would be that interested in mushrooms. Honestly, I don't even LOVE psychedelics, I mean I do like them on occasion, but for me its mainly just growing them and perfecting their environment indoors, and planting germinated mycelium and casing it with necessary nutrients in the surrounding areas to watch them acclimate to my local environment that I REALLy enjoy. I definitely like growing them more than eating them. Growing them is just so therapeutic.. you get to see -the fruits-see what I did there- of your labor so quickly when compared to plants.. working on there terrarium helps me with my anxiety and depression quite a bit..a long with taking them.. its like taking care of a bonsai tree.. I just really enjoy this hobby I also long for the day that I can go out into the woods nearby, and find a patch of mexicanas that I didn't plant there.... but i'd know they wouldn't be there without me. like johny-mushroom-spore, damn that's a badass username, someone whos actually gonna be a long time member please use that name. Anyway sorry for rambling! 

#18 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

I'm glad I could be of some inspiration to you. I'm a pretty average cultivator really. The only Mexican mushrooms I've managed to grow with any proficiency are Ps. mexicana and Ps. semperviva, and pretty much all I've learned about those species is contained in this thread. I have never grown Ps. zapotecorum, so I can't say how difficult it is compared to Ps. caerulescens, which I have just barely managed to fruit one time. You may want to broaden your research a little, because I am really an amateur cultivator. If you look around you'll find far superior TEKs and grows from people who really know what they're doing. I'm just reporting on what has worked for me, because I feel a sense of duty to share these gifts of nature with others. To me, growing mushrooms is a privilege that came at a high price to many people.

I used to fetishize the various "exotic" mushroom species, and I wanted to try them all, but I don't really care about that anymore. I would be very grateful and content with a single cubensis print, because I know how to grow them easily, and what I value above all is actually eating mushrooms. Yes, the various species have their differences, but now that I've tried quite a few of them I see that they all ultimately provide the same thing. At this point, the primary reason that I grow mushrooms and document my trials is to help others learn. I only grow in very small quantities. I give away about half of them, and eat the rest. There is a certain satisfaction in the challenge of growing to be sure, and it does provide a structure of understanding that gives a deeper meaning to the total experience. However, growing mushrooms is less interesting to me than eating them, which is sometimes forgotten in the mad rush to "catch 'em all". This isn't a hobby for me, it's a way of life.

• coorsmikey, Samwise, Jrotten and 6 others like this

#19 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:01 AM

I would not call you an ameature by any means! I am an amateur, you are at least a moderately experienced cultivator. I would consider an amateur anyone who does not know how to do agar work, and could not cultivate cubensis on their own without having to look stuff up,, and you should have at least 4 grows under your belt.

Also i do look around a lot on here, i just find a lot of your stuff on Mexican mushrooms to be quite informative, being extremely detailed and some of the only recent posts on species like Semperviva and Zapotecorum. When you search those and Mexicana as well your posts are the first ones to pop up, and probably for good reason. lol.

Also, don't get me wrong I love mushrooms and I do love tripping, but I could not say that cultivating mushrooms is my way of life... I definitely will always cultivate, and continue to trip on mushrooms for the rest of my life, but I'm not going to try to "fit in" by saying this is my absolute one and only. Writing music is my way of life. Though, I definitely am a scientist at heart as well, and discovering mycology has helped me find myself in a whole new way. I don't know what I am trying to say, I guess my point is, I love mycology, and I love cultivating, but I was only exposed to the world of cultivating mushrooms 9 months ago, its not going anywhere in my life, but its just too fresh, I would feel like a poser if i tried to agree with you and say this was my way of life too.. man i ramble a lot on here.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 01 April 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#20 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

That’s cool man. I definitely did not mean to suggest that growing and eating mushrooms should be a “way of life”, or what that might mean. I can only speak for myself, and don’t regard myself as an authority on these things. After all, I’m just a privileged white guy. One thing that I can say, which I think does lend me a certain amount of personal insight, is that at least in the course of the past four or five years, I’ve eaten a lot of mushrooms. I try to remind myself that I probably know much less than I think (in all aspects of life), but regardless, I think it’s important to be honest and speak one’s mind.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!