36 replies to this topic

#21 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:25 PM

A few mushrooms are said to have been found within a few hundred yards of Sra. Maria Sabina's home or were know to be used by her. I'd like to compile a list here if I may.

Ps. Aztecorum
Ps. Caerulescens
Ps. Cubensis ' Huautla'
Ps. Mexicana 'Chicon Nindo' 
Ps. Semperviva
Ps. Zapotecorum 'Chicon Nindo'

Any others?

Now to track down prints of them all! :)
  • Moonless likes this

#22 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 554 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:47 PM

Lots of good information on growing Psilocybe mexicana on this thread, which also includes links to more great threads with information on other Mexican Psilocybes:

https://mycotopia.ne...itbodies/page-3

• Samwise likes this

#23 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 554 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:08 AM

Recently I’ve been receiving a large number of questions related to growing Mexican psilocybes in my inbox. While I’m not at all opposed to answering questions, the volume is overwhelming and many of the questions are beyond me. Please understand that I’m also new to this, and my success has come largely through trial and error. What works for me may not work for you, so you will have to do your own research and figure that out for yourself. It’s a good idea to read other TEKs and not get too hyper-focused on one method, especially since I really am a novice cultivator who may have had some beginner’s luck.

With that said, feel free to leave your questions and comments here, that way other people can chime in and offer diverse opinions, and more people can learn from our collaborative research. That was the original purpose of this thread.

Many of the questions I receive have already been addressed in the resources I provided in the first post. Please have a careful look through those threads to see if the answer to your question is in there. Thanks for your understanding, and I hope many people will succeed in growing some of these excellent fungi.
  • Samwise, Jrotten, Jinroh and 1 other like this

#24 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

Can anyone help me to understand the conditions needed in relation to each species of mesicanae?

I’ve got hoogs, tamps, chicon nindo, and Jalisco,.

I am wondering In what aspects are all these different and yet, what are the similarities?

This question is in regards to the cultivation, expectation, incubation times, which ones are faster and which are the slowest?

Could I grow all of these in the same FC,. Namely, my Martha set up?

It is the Joc Pan Tek, outlined by Jakeoncid419 in his thread of the same name “Joc Pan Tek”

#25 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 554 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

Yes all of these will grow in approximately the same conditions. I don't think Psilocybe semperviva is in section Mexicanae, however all of the others you mentioned are.

All of these fungi require high humidity (95+%) and high airflow. A greenhouse style setup with an ultrasonic humidifier on a humidistat is the best way to go. Set the humidistat to 95% and exhaust the air on a timer set to run for 15 minutes every 1-2 hours. Put a fan inside the greenhouse and set it to trigger whenever the humidifier comes on, that way the fog will be distributed throughout the greenhouse. Ideal temperature is 75-80F.

Incubation times will vary depending on your substrate, strain and temperature, but generally speaking, they are all fast/vigorous colonizers and they are best incubated around 78F.

Edited by DonShadow, 11 May 2020 - 01:34 PM.

• Samwise, newmoon and ElPirana like this

#26 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:38 PM

Oh man that’s all great news,. I won’t have to change it up much at all between the Panaeolus and the mexicanae than,.

The only big difference it seems is the pans want more cycles more air flow and exchange but I can easily roll it back a bit to reach a happy medium for the total population of the martha,.

Thank you DonShadow for the advice and the prints!

I will take prints and do give always!

Also, I’m using Tapatalk all the time but will go onto the site to figure out how to give rep for the market, or however that works I’ve never really used the real site before,.

Sincerely,
Dark
  • DonShadow likes this

#27 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

I've found mexicana, tampanensis, and semperviva to all fruit with only passive air exchange (no fanning) through holes in the terrarium covered with 3M "transpore" medical tape, and with only enough misting to keep things reasonably humid. Semperviva is fast to colonize but slow to fruit (a month or longer after casing isn't unreasonable), tampanensis and mexicana are fairly fast.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#28 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 02:21 AM

Why even bother with sub and casing? Tampaensis 'Pollock' growing directly from the top of the tub wall.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200611_212338-1.jpg

• Arathu and ElPirana like this

#29 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 77 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

Why even bother with sub and casing? 

To get a decent flush maybe  :tongue:

just buy cactus soil and throw a thin layer out of the bag and mist a little

,..dont think we need to pasteurize casing , mexicanas are very contam resist 

Waiting for a print of Semperviva and Caerulescens atm, its gonna be a mexican summer  :biggrin:

#30 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

These actually are cased w/ 1/3 verm/COIR/cacti soil that was pasteurized but this cluster decided to form up on the side of the small tub they are in, crazy! I read Tamp 'Pollock' was found in sand, I wonder what a thin layer of pure sand might do? Maybe next round?

Good luck Rac3k, Semperviva and Caerulescens are strong growers, are you going to do grain tek and try for carpophores?

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 13 June 2020 - 07:17 PM.

#31 Rac3k

Rac3k

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 77 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Hm, that doesnt look cased, how it colonized so much on top?

Just skip coir in casing next time,

Leave some days (after its already 100% colionized) to consolitate before casing, and when you case go straight to fruiting conditions and you should avoid that overlay

I dont think sand only casing would produce good results, in nature its not only sand for sure. You must have something that holds moisture 

What is carpophores?

#32 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

Alright so i guess this is the best place to ask. I revived a print labeled ‘New L’ that is supposed to be from the first domestic grow of huautla de jimenez mexicana. The print is eight years old. I was able to revive what looked like a single spore. There was contam too but I was able to transfer away. At first the growth looked tomentose and put white which is what mexicana usually looks like at first. On the T2 I still had contam follow but the culture started to grow what looked like rhizos.the growth was super strong though and dominated each time. On T3 it was clean but still stronger rhizos.
T2
A7EE22AC-A5D5-4A4E-BC7D-F0737FB2B29F.jpeg
T3
942F96DD-0701-4EE4-A356-F891FAA193ED.jpeg

Now the donor of the print is a very trusted source of mine but I can’t help but wonder if it could have been a mislabel. A small vial of LC was made from a biopsy of the culture and two pints nocced. Here is the jars at day 4 and a jar of the New L and jar of Galindo Side by side.
Day 4 LC
6F6AEC0D-E45A-4214-A717-5C8BD525F5E6.jpeg
NewL on left gallindoi on right
142AB6B5-8EDD-4695-8A99-E9C5EF4F5E19.jpeg

#33 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

Double posted sorry don’t know how to delete

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 05 September 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#34 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 595 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:37 AM

Maybe it is San Isidro, the cubensis variety native to the Huautla de Jimenez area??? Just a guess based on the mycelium. I recently sprouted spores of Chicon Nindo, Mexicana, so I'll try to share a photo after they fill out a bit more.

Whatever it is, it seems happy!

#35 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

I have some chicon nindo and huautla de jiminez mexicana in agar right now as well but it hasn’t really grown enough to get a good comparison. If all is successful I might make a grow log.

#36 DetritusTheEgo

DetritusTheEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:12 PM

Maybe it is San Isidro, the cubensis variety native to the Huautla de Jimenez area??? Just a guess based on the mycelium. I recently sprouted spores of Chicon Nindo, Mexicana, so I'll try to share a photo after they fill out a bit more.

Whatever it is, it seems happy!

I have some chicon nindo and huautla de jiminez mexicana in agar right now as well but it hasn’t really grown enough to get a good comparison. If all is successful I might make a grow log.

I also have some recently inoculated Ps. Mexicana 'Chicon Nindo' on agar but will probably be a few transfers to get it confidently clean enough for mass expansion via LC. Been doing cubensis on rye grass seed for a few months to get familiar with it in preparation for the mexicanas... Definitely a pain to break up for G2G transfers but not impossible.

#37 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:40 AM

I have chicon nindo, huautla de jimenez( recent spores) and strain a on agar at the moment and jalisco spawn colonizing. You can see I like mexicana. Mexicana and pans are pretty much all I focus on nowadays

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!