• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#81 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:52 PM

The cultures I have are all slow. I also got sparse germination. I'm going to do a couple of things, I have 3 plates and each culture is going to get it's own cup of WBS and then I'm going to do 3 more cups with a wedge from each plate.

From there my current plan is to use my tumbler compost which is old subs, cow manure, straw, coffee, and a completely rotted bit of hay bale with 45:45:5:5 coir:compost:sawdust:sand all by volume and adjusted to consistency with verm. I will pasteurize the sub and spawn at around 2:1 in 4 cup meal prep trays about 2" deep. I'm using these trays for pans and I really like that I can pasteurize directly in them very fast by microwaving for 3 minutes then tossing in the oven at the lowest setting for an hour or two then cool in the oven and spawn in the flowhood, and finally colonize in the FC. Case with peat/verm/pickling lime with sand added or just peat/lime/sand.

I'm prepared to adjust this if I can find more justification for wood loving with either aspen chips or straw. My hope is that I cover enough bases that I luck into fruiting.

That actually sounds like perfect for zapos, i am pretty sure they're going to LOVE that

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
  • Jrotten likes this

#82 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:54 PM

I hope so. I put them on grain today. Needed to run agar in the pc so I wound up with a wedge from each plate and one with a wedge from all 3. Just maybe a cup of grain or less so if they move faster on grain I’ll expand g2g and if they are really slow I’ll probably just do a micro grow.
  • ChocolateStarfish likes this

#83 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:10 PM

Man i really hope to see some really exotic mushrooms of mexico on here one day. It's be so cool to see a psilocybe hoogshagenii var. hoogshagenii, psilocybe neoxalapensis, psilocybe fagicola, psilocybe banderillensis, or psilocybe yungensis. I'm leaving out a bunch, but those are the ones i REALLY want to fruit one day. I mean, all of these can be found in Oaxaca and Veracruz, Mexico, so I am really considering taking a trip ( i live relatively close to the border) just to collect spore prints (and have a few magical journeys while im there) so I can cultivate them, and to share with the community, so we can learn about those more elusive Mexican mushrooms. I mean, there are just SO MANY psilocybe mushrooms that ONLY grow in Mexico. Some of them have only been found in those 2 states in Mexico i mentioned. I am definitely going to make that trip, i am just hoping i can convince my wife that we should do it this year. Fingers crossed.

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#84 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:31 PM

D103E621-557F-41E6-B257-251BD113F15C.jpeg wild mexicana
B6773712-36BE-4285-B0C9-A8F76DFF1DE5.jpeg wild pan cyan

Both from Guadalajara. Both not yet cultivated and both spawned to bulk today
  • Jrotten, ElPirana, ChocolateStarfish and 1 other like this

#85 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2021 - 12:44 AM

They are looking pretty on that agar, what type do you use?

#86 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

Mea standard recipe
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#87 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

I'm preparing sub for Chichon Nindo, Semperviva, Tampanesis, and honestly maybe just working out a sort of "one size fits all"  I went with 6 parts peat, 1 part sand, 1 part verm, and a rough 1tsp of pickling lime per handful of peat.  It all came to a well packed 8 cups.  I'm doing an initial microwave blast to get temp up between 160F and 180F then into the oven it goes on the lowest setting which puts it around 160F in practice.  It came out feeling very hefty/heavy, but also comes apart very easily.  

Does this seem reasonable for the common Mexican species?

#88 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

I keep saying sub and meaning casing. The post above is about casing.

I can’t be the first person to try and fruit mexicana next to Pans. I’m now at that point. All of the Mexican are in shoebox totes. The pans are in trays. Temps stay around 75F. The humidity is cycling up to 100% and down to around 85% but it’s a long fall with a lot of evaporation which is not really ideal for these species as I understand?

So my thinking is to turn the lids caddy corner which will slow evaporation and the fogger cycles will basically mist and fan. For people that have fruited these species does this even begin to sound like an option or should I maybe just relive the kids and mist the casings? Orrrr is this just a bad idea destined for mediocre results all around at best?

Edited by Jrotten, 09 January 2021 - 11:25 PM.

#89 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

I spawned the wild pan cyan and its colonizing a mycobag now. The wild mexicana is about done on grain and I swabbed a plate with a wild cube last week all from Guadalajara. I also have some panaeolus sphinctrinus spores wild but not really sure what I’ll ever do with those.
  • Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#90 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:32 PM

JR, I've fruited pans, mexicana, semp, cubes and caerulescens all together in the same FC.
  • Jrotten likes this

#91 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:35 AM

Mexicana var Chichon Nindo pins! I hope they aren’t dark from aborting. Any advice on how to treat them from here would be great. Do they like it a little drier? Wetter? Should I be letting them get a little dry?

Attached Thumbnails

• 388F9C5A-07BD-466A-9A4D-7C214C56DB7D.jpeg
  • 1BAD1E31-6607-4C93-9244-5259F8661381.jpeg

• ItBeBasidia and YoshiTrainer like this

#92 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

When are Mexicana mature to print and is there a “right” time harvest?

Attached Thumbnails

• D9FEF61C-A6B0-4616-825C-0454581F0BC7.jpeg

#93 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:49 PM

The caps will fully open and and then if your of your printing your gonna wanna wait a lot longer for the gills to start getting darker and the caps to get to the point they are curling and then pull them. If your not printing just wait till the caps open fully.
  • Jrotten and DonShadow like this

#94 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:27 PM

These guys seem to grow as tall as it takes to get to the top of the tub, or where the air moves just a little more and then open? Would they do better with a lid on the tub as opposed to open in the FC? I have no idea how these guys are doing? It’s been a great first experience with them. Super easy to grow and fruit, between pans and cubes it seems in fruiting time, closer to cubes for sure. I have 3 small jars from the same original germ plate that seemed to just explode on one of the T2’s and overtake and out grow the rest. Hopefully it fruits. It’s certainly aggressive.

Mexicana Chichon Nindo

Attached Thumbnails

• D7BC3957-EE8B-4B93-A9BE-35E758EF4747.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 17 January 2021 - 05:31 PM.

• DonShadow, ItBeBasidia, ChocolateStarfish and 4 others like this

#95 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 622 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

Those look amazing JR... whatever you’re doing seems to be working great :)
  • Jrotten and coAsTal like this

#96 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:03 PM

Just put some Mex. Galindoi to agar. Plan on trying some sclerotia and hopefully getting some fruits to print.

• Jrotten, Moonless and ChocolateStarfish like this

#97 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:51 PM

Man i really hope to see some really exotic mushrooms of mexico on here one day. It's be so cool to see a psilocybe hoogshagenii var. hoogshagenii, psilocybe neoxalapensis, psilocybe fagicola, psilocybe banderillensis, or psilocybe yungensis. I'm leaving out a bunch, but those are the ones i REALLY want to fruit one day. I mean, all of these can be found in Oaxaca and Veracruz, Mexico, so I am really considering taking a trip ( i live relatively close to the border) just to collect spore prints (and have a few magical journeys while im there) so I can cultivate them, and to share with the community, so we can learn about those more elusive Mexican mushrooms. I mean, there are just SO MANY psilocybe mushrooms that ONLY grow in Mexico. Some of them have only been found in those 2 states in Mexico i mentioned. I am definitely going to make that trip, i am just hoping i can convince my wife that we should do it this year. Fingers crossed.

I live in Oaxaca.

Waiting till it's mushroom season to head up the mountain.

edit: For certain Caerulesens and Zapetecorums are easy to find where I'm at.

Edited by Severian, 17 January 2021 - 08:54 PM.

• ChocolateStarfish and YoshiTrainer like this

#98 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:25 PM

I live in Oaxaca.

Waiting till it's mushroom season to head up the mountain.

edit: For certain Caerulesens and Zapetecorums are easy to find where I'm at.

That is so badass and you are super lucky to live in such a beautiful place with so much biodiversity that is truly unique to the area. When is mushroom season out there? Maybe we can meet up and go foraging together while I am out there. 

Tbh it is so alien of a concept to me that zapotecorums are easy to find where you live... That is so amazing... Are caerulescens or zapotecorums what you prefer to find when you are foraging ?? or is there another mushroom you look for in particular? 

#99 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:42 PM

Then I will just let them go. How are they for cloning? They are so small it seems difficult...

#100 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

Has anybody dried, ground and capped any of these species? I need a storage method so I can properly assay each species that I’m fruiting right now. I normally really try to eat fresh, but I just can’t time that one when I’m 50/50 on every tub that made it to the FC

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!