#161 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:47 PM

Edit*

Nvm figured it out!

Even if it ain't all good. It's all good enough.

Edited by DarkNchildlike, 09 April 2021 - 10:48 PM.

#162 Bongoman

Bongoman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:51 PM

This is my quick and dirty fruiting chamber for my mexicana on cased grain. A 30 litre tote, 10 litres perlite, 5 litres of water, 3 x air stones.

I haven’t modded the tote - no holes nor fans - just a cracked lid at this stage.

I guess I should drill holes just above the waterline? Short of installing a PC fan, I can keep lid cracked and fan every time I walk past?e466aafe1fed8314dbf792bca951358b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#163 Bongoman

Bongoman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

Thoughts on keeping things at optimal temps? My ambient temperatures are between 60F - 77F and dropping as winter approaches.

I’m in a subtropical zone but growing mexicana out of season so am feeling the need to manage temperature.

If I’m using air stones in a perlite/water mix, can I add an aquarium heater to the chamber ?

Or am I better off heating the room the tub lives in?

#164 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

Adjusting the ambient room temperature is always better so as to avoid condensation in the tub, or drying out the substrate. Mexicana is happy between 70-85F, 75F is the sweet spot.

#165 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

That's great because my room temperature is 75-80! Getting excited for my mushrooms of mexico. I had Mexicana Galindoi in my unmodified FC for three weeks without any pins. I just put in some semperviva in there as well. Some supplies to make a shadowbox are comming in tomorrow, hopefully with the shadowbox these fungi will fruit.

#166 Bongoman

Bongoman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

I’m starting to feel a little anxious about this box of chicon nindo growing on grains cased with 50/50+.

I’m in a 30 litre tote with perlite/water and air pumped via air stones.

The mycelium is colonising the casing and I still mist very now and then. These photos make the surface look drier than it actually is - as soon as I mist, the casing glistens and is pretty wet.

My rH is high 90’s. Zero signs of contamination on the surface.

I keep expecting pins any day now and wonder if there’s anything I can do to help trigger pinning?

4009197c8726b0e721249cb0668611d4.jpg
24d401df45a6ccc5aae95182b2ecaf87.jpg

#167 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

How long ago did you case it? Longest after applying casing before pins for me with stone producers was something like 2 weeks(although generally it’s less than that, I think the conditions were not ideal.). In my limited experience they seemed to like(or at least tolerate) being kept fairly wet so don’t be afraid to give her a good misting regularly.

Interesting looking mycelium, very rhizomorphic, never gotten that with a stone producer before, almost reminds me of cubensis(keep in mind though I’m a noob.)
Best of luck!

Edited by Ambrose, 14 April 2021 - 07:31 PM.

#168 Bongoman

Bongoman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:29 PM

Well who knows what these genetics are! I can’t remember the source of the print, maybe I’ll get a surprise if and when they fruit!

#169 ReverendOMyc

ReverendOMyc

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:46 PM

Hi all

I know that Tampanensis aren’t technically Mexicana but it looks like this is the thread to share stone growers. So these are my very first Tamps and my first non-cubes and I am so happy to finally see pins.

These are Pollocks from a spore print started on 1/1/2020. I spent a lot of time on agar and reading this thread and the sclerotia thread at that other site. Thanks again, Ambrose for the print. Good to see you here as well. I have a different handle over there.

These are in two 56qt tubs. One is a simple experimental design that is slightly ahead with less attention required. I am going to start a Mad Scientists thread for the new design if things continue to show promise.

I don’t have any questions just yet. Just sharing baby pix.

005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus, Oldpunk and 1 other like this

#170 Ambrose

Ambrose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

Hello stranger!

Aaaw yeah! Looking good! I love the feeling of pins from a species you haven't grown before. Don't be afraid to keep those bastards nice and wet. Handle it much better than too dry in my experience.

Will keep an eye out for that Mad Scientist thread  :biggrin:

Got a tray of stone producers going myself as well. Not too happy, not because of their performance but because it was supposed to be P. mexicana jalisco, but it seems that the source from which I got the print appears to have mislabeled them( :mad: along with a print of "chicon nindo," I got from them, knew it was too good to be true but oh well.)

fakeMex - Copy.jpg

Edited by Ambrose, 19 April 2021 - 07:15 PM.

• YoshiTrainer, rockyfungus, Oldpunk and 2 others like this

#171 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:46 PM

I just started some tampanensis last week and they won't be ready for fruiting for quite a while. I love the photos. These last 2 posts make me excited for the grow to come.

I'd be interested in that mad scientist FC post as well.
Thanks for the inspiration
  • Ambrose and ReverendOMyc like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!