Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How Often Do You Have A Bad Trip? [Out Of 10]

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: How Often Do You Have A Bad Trip? [Out Of 10]

How Often Do You Have A bad Trip?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Salem

Salem

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

How often do you find yourself experiencing a truly terrible trip?

• Moonless likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:17 AM

I only have a bad trip while tripping with others that can't handle their shit. So not necessarily me having a bad trip, but more just no having a good time baby sitting grown adults to keep them from freaking out. Other than not being in the proper setting with the right people or nobody but myself, I've never had a bad trip. TBH honest I don't really understand how others can freak out other than the ones that have hidden psychological conditions underlying. Most often I find tripping so beautiful that I just want to share the experience with someone. I have learned that being lonely while tripping is far better than being around people that don't get it. Good co-pilots are special and rare, when you have a good one make sure to keep them close or at the very least visit them at least once a year.

Edited by coorsmikey, 30 December 2019 - 10:29 AM.

• Myc, Coopdog, Juthro and 8 others like this

#3 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

I have had challenging trips, but they were never bad. It was necessary to get past that stage at a certain point, after that I have had less challenges.

I had been depressed before and tripping unlocked certain emotional states - I was able to let that out on different occasions and these kind of emotions haven't bothered me since. Same goes for some panic attack type issue I had for a few years - on one trip I unlearned that anxiety/panick attack type thing completely when I was mindful of it happening.

I was wise and conscious enough to do something with these things and learn, but I can imagine others can feel frightened after such experiences and neglect the opportunity to learn from it.

Also I have had trips that weren't very impressive, another definition of bad applies there!

I know what coorsmikey is on about - I have had trips that were a bit annoying when others were involved - was a different kind of challenge. Sometimes with lots of other non-tripping/drunk people around in crowded living rooms - but this gave me insight about myself and I have acted on this discomfort ever since by not looking to trip in those situations again.

When faced with challenges, you can choose what you do with it - sometimes it would be good to endure it, but most of the times you don't need to put up with it and you can change the situation.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 30 December 2019 - 12:12 PM.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Salem and 3 others like this

#4 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

I had only three trips so far since I began a couple of weeks before. And yesterday the trip did end rapidly. I took a dosage too small I think.

The peak was there and strong, but it has been 1,5 hour only.

One of my hands held the other hand whilst I was sitting in the room (I always trip alone).

I watched my hands and one of them was not my own. It felt strange to me, it was not my body. I knew that in that moment, my consciousness had focused itself somewhere else.

I thought to myself it does not matter, I'm just not in the body.

During the peak I felt free of any borders, everything bright and transcendent. 

But soon my ego came back, my consciousness re-emerged into the body, took over and I came rapidly down. No afterglow, just left with worry and concern.

I will not say it was a trip I want to dismiss. But next time I will take more than the fresh amount from the picture I posted recently (The largest cap I still have for a spore print).

Also, I had to confront myself with an inner aspect of control we all have to deal with (ego dominating the trip), which I think is a lesson everyone has to learn in the beginning of this journey.

• Coopdog, Salem and Asura like this

#5 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 631 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Yeah usually if there is a hard part you can get through it, never had a trip that was a total disaster the whole way through. Maybe one time in my life, and just because of the paranoia of getting caught made me want to end the trip

I find one get's into trouble when they decided that the trip should be over when it's not finished. You have to give into the wave

When you no longer want to be high and just try to go to bed. This leads to dark thoughts and lots of tossing and turning in the bed unable to sleep. I struggle with heat problems on a good day and this get's compounded by the psychedelics . 

I honestly enjoy eating them in the afternoon if i can. That way the second dose usually wears off after midnight and one can have a reasonable sleep. If not well i find it better to just stay up and watch some movies until the early morning. Then hit the hay after the Mary Jane has finally grabbed hold

• Coopdog, Salem, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#6 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:11 PM

I never really kept count but by my estimation I've tripped between 125 and 175 times since I turned 13 [don't worry, I'm legal now :wink: ]

My doses have ranged from mild to balls-to-the-wall howling-at-the-moon hyperspace type shit, but usually somewhere on the high side of average. In all of that I've never had a terrible trip.

I've had challenging trips of many sorts. In high school when I started using LSD every weekend just for fun it quite clearly told me to stop doing that, in college during my mushroom era #1 I had lots of problems and wanted the mushrooms to guide me to a solution and after they showed me what needed to be done every trip was a challenge, telling me to stop for a few years and actually do the work to fix myself, when I got into pharmahuasca and for the first time shattered my mind, merged with the universe as a puzzle block of psychedelic clay, and had to reconstruct my memory and mental landscape from a blank slate that was challenging! And on my last trip I took 14 grams of mushrooms to try and get prolonged DMT intensity from mushrooms and... it worked! :laugh: That was challenging.

But I've never had a bad trip.

The important thing is to trust your sober self like its a beloved and wise grandparent. No matter how deep you go and however disoriented you get just remember that sober you was confident that the substance is safe and in the end you can handle it. I once took so much mescaline+harmine that I ended up in a hyperspace alien toddlers playpen with no memory of who I was, I didn't know sober Elrik was me, but a faint recollection of the grandfatherly figure was inside me and I knew I wasn't truly in danger.

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,871 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:17 PM

I think it's important to remember that mushrooms are a tool, and not a party toy.   They show you what you need to see, not necessarily what you thought you needed to see.    With that said, not every trip is as fun, or as pleasant as the last.  Sometimes the mushrooms are going to make you to look at things inside yourself that you've been trying to avoid.  But I personally think that's still one for the win column. 

• Coopdog, Skywatcher, Salem and 4 others like this

#8 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Like coorsmikey I can't really see myself having a bad trip, per se. Weird, ghoulish, dark and terrifying shit, absolutely, but nothing truly scary.
Now with cannabinoids, on the other hand, I have really felt like I'd lost my mind.
I guess it's a question of body chemistry?
  • Coopdog and Salem like this

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:34 PM

So far 100% never on the poll. I love that. I've never had a really bad trip, had some that were white knuckle types, and some where I beat myself up and struggled with guilt for some of the assinine things I have done in my life, but I deserved that experience and got it. I have seen other people lose their minds completely, even my lifelong trip partner, my wife has had it happen on some specially powerful red microdots that sent quite a few people over the edge and even to jail for getting overcocky with their dosage. 

When I trip I split into two distinct personalities. One is the observer who is watching the whole thing, the other is me tripping balls out of my mind. My higher self is always there to step in. I have talked my way out of some of the damndest situations when the law suddenly showed up when I was on 6 hits of good acid, or hey when the neighbors showed up at 3 am wanting help looking for a dog, (That was an interesting mescaline mind trip night) and both situations I was able to step in and take over from tripping balls to make people think I was my somewhat abnormal normal self. I think most people can reign themselves back in, but some choose not to. I have often wondered if it is an attention getting process, because as Mikey said, I don't see how someone can just let themselves act that way, and deep down inside, I think most of them DO let themselves do it. I know some people have underlying issues with mental stuff, but my gut tells me that is not always the case. 

In my wife's case, I left her alone for an hour after she asked me not to. She ran a bath and got lost in the mirror, and went on a whole mind trip thinking I had died even when I came back she could not accept it was me and thought I had come home in my spiritual form to help her through my death. Wow that was a tough one! lol

• coorsmikey, Juthro, swayambhu and 4 others like this

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:34 PM

What is meant by "bad?"

Edit: Oops, I guess I should've asked what is meant by "truly terrible" in the context of tripping.

Edited by TVCasualty, 30 December 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#11 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:24 AM

Threads like this are why I love this site.

I've never had anything I would call a bad trip. Oh yeah, I've been to the 8th circle of Hell in a trip...there's always something challenging...

but there's always the good, too. Most of my trips have this kind of arc where I go through some challenging stuff, rebuild myself

piece by piece...and then bask in the infinite glory of the universe. Woot I made it! It's kinda like a tough yoga class. Never quite

sure if I liked it or if I'm full of joy from having survived it.

#12 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 947 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:33 AM

A question in reply is how often do we have a bad experience in general? 

I've found that our interpretation of experience changes. The interpretation of the one who experiences changes. Potentially and eventually, that one seems not to have experienced at all. If none of my experiences have happened to me, have others happened to others? I can play along, but aside from this moment as it is, there is nothing happening to me. And really the moment is itself me happening. 

This was sprung out of considering that I've had trips where I told myself "Never again." But, I don't really feel like the one who said "Never again." But, I bet I could feel like that one. I have felt like him in a way. Same thing with all of my life... in whatever form it takes. 

So, the answer is... I've either had many or none, or anyway in between.

Edited by Guy1298, 31 December 2019 - 12:37 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#13 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 333 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:48 AM

The lessons from mushrooms can be challenging to integrate. In my experience, the difficult parts of this journey have always been in sober life rather than in trip. Some things that have been difficult for me are adjusting to living after having gained additional awareness, and also feeling isolated and marginalized by society because of my work with theses mushrooms, not to mention the difficulty trying to adjust to living a cosmology influenced by the mushrooms.

All in all theses challenging experiences are difficult to turn into a value judgement of good and bad. In my experience of hardships after tripping, I notice that these hardships have always been within me, this said, the awareness of distress is gained through tripping. Although I am anxious and distressed now, I know that there is awareness and before the trip there was no awareness. This awareness of distress forces me to confront my psyche and live life a little differently, It's kind of like being in tune with the various suffering of being in a body.

It must also be noted that tripping can leave one with the same effects of a trauma. With trauma and tripping some people take longer to adjust and integrate a difficult experience. All in all maybe this can help you, I've had a hell trip and it traumatized me but it instilled a strong desire to fight for compassion and heart in the world. IDK trauma is sometimes really good, thats why the shamanic journey works for so many people.

There are challenging experience that are included in the transformation of an individual and they are nesesceary to be confronted for our development. Elrik talked about how she needed to integrate before diving into tripping again. I second this, you will come to find that integrating trips is superbly important, of course the mushrooms can help with integration too. But work in this plane of existence is necessary.

TLDR:

Trust yourself

• Coopdog, Salem, RutgerHauer and 1 other like this

#14 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 04:50 AM

It must also be noted that tripping can leave one with the same effects of a trauma. With trauma and tripping some people take longer to adjust and integrate a difficult experience. All in all maybe this can help you, I've had a hell trip and it traumatized me but it instilled a strong desire to fight for compassion and heart in the world. IDK trauma is sometimes really good, thats why the shamanic journey works for so many people

I find this part an important one. This is a relatively new concept in psychiatry too, they call it post traumatic growth in stead of post traumatic stress. Many find it controversial even.

It is a shift in perspective on the trauma. You can go through a lot of stress and suffering if you emphasise the negative aspects of the experience and effects of it. You can also rewrite the story, shine a different light on it and realize you have become a better person because of it in some sense. Some people do this naturally, others find it harder to making that shift, because the suffering is the only thing they know to be a real result of the trauma.

People find it hard to believe the transformative powers of trauma in this postitive sense. It often involves leaving a part of you behind, that part that secretly longed for being the victim to that trauma - and changing that victim status to being the victor.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 31 December 2019 - 08:38 AM.

• Coopdog, Salem, Oneyedraven and 2 others like this

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:55 AM

I don't want to answer this and jinx myself but very seldom...

• Salem likes this

#16 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

The lessons from mushrooms can be challenging to integrate. In my experience, the difficult parts of this journey have always been in sober life rather than in trip.

I have a theory about psychedelic psychology that I've been playing with for some years. I don't know how universally true it is, but I think it helps explain peoples sober reaction to having used psychedelics in the past.

I think that when someone starts using psychedelics, it might happen on the first trip or it might happen on the fourth but it generally happens early, whether they recognize the realization in explicit terms or not they awaken to the understanding that our selves and the perceptual reality that we live in is a manifestation of our mind. Sure, ultimate reality is just math and chemistry but the reality we actually live and operate in is a product of our ability to perceive and greatly influenced by our preconceptions and world view. Our selves are not a static thing we are born with, its a thing that is constantly being born from our choices and actions.

Now, given this subtle or overt realization people generally respond in one of a few ways. Sometimes in denial. There are several ways these people can try to hide from this realization. Some will mentally retreat, not wanting that kind of maturity, and try to cover up their knowledge with distraction or indoctrination. Lots of TV, alcohol, fanatical indulgence in less nuanced religious doctrine, more psychedelics use taken to such an extreme as to just blank everything out in confusion, stuff like that. I think they don't want to accept the power. Some people will react with pure fear, I think they've been taught they are not supposed to have that kind of power. Some will want more such realizations and take lots of psychedelics looking for bigger hits of insight. Some will adore psychedelics for the insight and make a habit of using them now and then to help them retain perspective. And some will take that one realization as all they need and happily move on in their life.

Peoples reactions are diverse, but I think most reactions are ultimately in response to fundamentally maturing and seeing that we are not in our world, we are our world. And it is our responsibility.

• Coopdog and Moonless like this

#17 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

I like the hypothesis Elrik, but I dont think it necessarily has to do with psychedelic experiences that people can have a shift in perception that makes them go these several routes of avoidance of responsibility or acceptance and taking action - I think it is a more basic psychological phenomenon. I think in general people can have different kinds of things happen to them that can give this kind of insight that the world isn't what they always believed it to be.

For instance, trauma can do this - like a death in the family, going to war, or other radical changes in their life if they for example have moved around a lot and their lives literally change and nothing is left of their previous life - sometimes all it takes for people is to move out of their parents place and go into the big bad world.. Many people will then go to self destructive behaviour - sometimes it can involve psychedelics or other drugs, but many other things are also used to deal with these kind of insights that they had an idea about what life was and that has completely broken down.

Some people do it to numb themselves and dodge responsibility (or they tell themselves this behaviour helps them find a new path without realizing it is avoiding finding a new path), others do it so they can continue to live in their old world view that isn't really applicable anymore, like you say in denial. Both of these strategies lack to include a new plan, a new idea about how this world works for them and how they should take control of it in a new way.

In the end it is about taking responsibility for your own life, not blaming it on others or the past and finding out what works for you personally in the current situation. It is called growing up.

I understand that many people would never have such a drastic insight if they have lived a reasonably stable and safe life - and then psychedelics show them the world works exactly the opposite way they had always thought. Other people don't need that insight because they have gone their own route through the trouble life has thrown at them.

It is interesting how psychedelics really live up to the name it was given. It shows you the workings of your mind/ego and your own shortcomings - and also your strengths and positive sides you hide from yourself.

It can be very helpful, but also a distraction in itself if one doesn't know how to interpret it or how to deal with it. Sometimes it is best to leave it alone, for some people it will most likely give only more confusion and denial about their worldview. Those are probably the people who might get more of the 'bad trips'.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 31 December 2019 - 02:56 PM.

• Coopdog, Asura, ElrikEriksson and 1 other like this

#18 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

I think it's important to remember that mushrooms are a tool, and not a party toy.   They show you what you need to see, not necessarily what you thought you needed to see.    With that said, not every trip is as fun, or as pleasant as the last.  Sometimes the mushrooms are going to make you to look at things inside yourself that you've been trying to avoid.  But I personally think that's still one for the win column.

I’m on par with this. There is one particular experience that I may have once called a bad trip but I cannot say that now. The trip wasn’t intense, but it led me to reveal to myself something false that I must’ve been holding onto so tightly. Once I uncovered it, I wanted to die. I really felt that the only reason that I should not end it was because my kids were young and I knew they would not understand and I couldn’t do that to them, but that was really the only reason. It took months to get through that. I see it now as an important turning point and I’m glad to have gone through it.

Otherwise there have been at least a couple trips where I truly thought I’ve lost my mind completely and would end up in a mental hospital for the rest of my life. Keeps things interesting! LMAO
  • ElrikEriksson likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!