• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

Okay so i went to wallyworld and picked up my fruiting chamber, a clear plastic tub 3 feet wide by 1 foot tall. I have three shoebox sized containers (spores i have are PESA, B+, and Texas) for the casings, 1 ft long by 4 in tall. the whole chamber covered in a layer of perlite.

As far as a casing mixture, should i stick to my original peat moss/vermiculite/horse poo plan or should i go with a coir/vermiculite mixture. I hear coir is superior to peat moss and vermiculite but what if coir was mixed with horse poo and vermiculite? would that be over doing it or would it be a primo cubensis medium? since this is my first grow, should i just experiment with all three casings with just one strain?

Also for incubation, it needs to be in the 80's right? like 86F, right? if so i'd have to have an external heat source, ie water heater? what other contraptions do people do for incubation? at first i thought i could pull it off with just moist perlite in a dark closet but with winter coming, i dont think i would have a successfull colonizing.

thanks

#2 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

peat/verm/lime
no need for poo in the casing mix however you could use poo as a bulk sub if you like
anything between 70 and 90 is fine just on either end is not optimum, at higher temps contams can get ya though

#3 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

thanks, i think i try 75 and see what happens. but poo is not needed? isnt verm and peat just to hold water and poo food for the mushies? i was just trying to see if a 40/40/20 (peat or coir/verm/poo) would yield bigger, denser fruits.

#4 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Poo is not good for a casing, poo is good for a bulk substrate.

Coir can be used in either casing or bulk substrate.
<O:p
Verm can be used in either casing or bulk substrate.
<O:p
A bulk substrate of coir/verm/poo (properly hydrated) is spawned with colonized grain or cakes and then covered with a casing layer of coir/verm (properly hydrated). The casing layer keeps contams off the food stuff (poo/grain) and adds extra water to the mycelia for mushroom production.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!