Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

First Grow Attempt of GT - troubleshooting help?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

Hello Experts!

I am hoping to get some feedback regarding my current progress.

I am going to be as detailed here as possible so please forgive the verbose post!

I am following Magic for the Masses almost exactly.

I got two syringes of GT from a reputable source.  I am wondering if maybe one of them was mislabeled (see below).

I made my substrate in 3 batches (all in one session): 5 jars, 5 jars, then 2 jars.

I then sterilized the 12 jars in 4 batches (3 jars each in my Instant Pot - that is all that can fit).

I then inoculated all 12 jars with the 2 syringes (I used twice the amount of inoculant intentionally because this is my first grow).

I did not keep track of which jars were inoculated with which syringes (but I think it that it is becoming obvious).

The jars are stored in a cupboard that is opened a few times a day.

Temperature is about 69-71F and RH is about 40-45% (but I don't know if that matters right now).

Almost immediately 6 of the jars showed that the substrate at each inoculation point started to darken.

The other 6 jars did not darken.

This is what is making me think that the liquid in the two syringes was different.

The 6 jars that did not darken at the inoculation points started to colonize relatively quickly and 5 of them are doing quite well, while 1 is lagging (from what I have read that is normal).

The 6 jars that did darken colonized a little slower than the other batch, but seem to be growing well, with 5 of them pretty even with vigour, while 1 doesn't show any growth at all.  That 1 also seems to have a bit of a discolouration within an inoculation point that may be bacteria? I can't smell anything, but I am just putting my nose to the inoculation hole.

Things are going well, but there are two things that are bugging me.

-I am almost positive that the two syringes had different liquid in them, since everything else was identical (lesson to myself to keep better records next time).  I will email the vendor to get their take on it, but I wanted to get as much information as possible before I do that.

-Does the 1 uncolonized jar have some kind of bacteria in it?

If I could get some experienced feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for any insight you may be able to provide!

And Happy New Year to everyone!!!

I have attached some photos for reference...

Photo 1: batch 1, what seems to be healthy colonization after 9 days

Photo 2: batch 2, what seems to be healthy colonization after 9 days

Photo 3: batch 2, jar with no colonization and maybe some bacteria in the middle of the darkened inoculation point?

2019-12-31 - batch 1 mycelial growth.jpg

2019-12-31 - batch 2 mycelial growth.jpg

2019-12-31 - batch 2 - 1 jar no growth.jpg

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

Toss the last jar, it does have bacteria. The other two look good.

#3 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

Toss the last jar, it does have bacteria. The other two look good.

Thank you so much!

#4 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

Onediadem is right, best to toss that third one.  Your hunch on the spore syringe may be right, but some other things to consider…  Instant Pot only gets to 10-12 psi and therefore requires a bit longer sterilization time than a 15psi pressure cooker.  Your batches were 3jars x 4batches in the instant pot so I wonder if two of those may not have sterilized sufficiently.  And yes, think about labeling jars and keeping track of dates to keep track of your science projects.  On the bright side, you can still get a decent harvest from 6 cakes.  Even a single good mushroom will give you enough spores to do this again many times over.

#5 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

Onediadem is right, best to toss that third one.  Your hunch on the spore syringe may be right, but some other things to consider…  Instant Pot only gets to 10-12 psi and therefore requires a bit longer sterilization time than a 15psi pressure cooker.  Your batches were 3jars x 4batches in the instant pot so I wonder if two of those may not have sterilized sufficiently.  And yes, think about labeling jars and keeping track of dates to keep track of your science projects.  On the bright side, you can still get a decent harvest from 6 cakes.  Even a single good mushroom will give you enough spores to do this again many times over.

Thanks Thacan,

I chose the Instant Pot because I have it and my alternative was steam sterilization, so I decided to go with the IP.  I know it can't get to 15psi, so I did 90 minutes per cook at the highest pressure the IP can do.

I obviously had to store the sterilized jars somewhere until everything was done, so I kept the foil on and put them in the least used space of my home.  I also had the inoculation holes taped with masking tape before sterilization.

Any ideas what might be in the syringe that changed the colour of the substrate, or are you saying that you think maybe 6 jars didn't sterilize properly?  I sterilized all 4 batches exactly the same way.  I will be emailing the vendor to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

I loved using my insta pot. It is enough pressure for PF style jars for sure. After all, people steamed them for years who did not have a PC. I only use it for agar work, but I really like not having to mess with the big dog.

#7 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

You guys know that pf cakes can be sterilized below 15psi right? I use to just steam them in a pot for 90minutes. Works the same....

Also, popcorn is another whole grain that can just be steamed. Pretty cool eh?

#8 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

Hey everyone,

Me again!

So I am on day 15 of colonization.

Most of my jars are about 80-95% colonized (meaning that mycelium is covering almost all the visible area).

However, how long should I wait after 100% before I birth to ensure that the internal substrate is fully colonized?

Also, a few of my jars are lagging, and moving very slow.

Maybe a silly question, but once I get my fruiting chamber up and running, there is no problem in birthing those slower cakes if / when they are ready and adding them to the FC with the other, older birthed cakes, is there?

Thanks again everyone for all your valuable insight!

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:12 AM

Most people wait a week or so after it has been colonized, it is called consolidating. This period makes sure it is colonized all the way through and the mycelium gets more strength - and time to absorb all nutrients before you go ahead and fruit them.

Jars that are far behind is most of the time not a good sign. It might be fighting off some contamination. Going on your previous pictures both of the jars with the browning effect don't look fresh to me. Assuming you already tossed the last one - is it perhaps the second batch you showed that is stalling?

If they colonize fully, healthy, it is no problem to put them in your FC later on with the rest.

Cheers

Edited by RutgerHauer, 06 January 2020 - 09:13 AM.

#10 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

Most people wait a week or so after it has been colonized, it is called consolidating. This period makes sure it is colonized all the way through and the mycelium gets more strength - and time to absorb all nutrients before you go ahead and fruit them.

Jars that are far behind is most of the time not a good sign. It might be fighting off some contamination. Going on your previous pictures both of the jars with the browning effect don't look fresh to me. Assuming you already tossed the last one - is it perhaps the second batch you showed that is stalling?

If they colonize fully, healthy, it is no problem to put them in your FC later on with the rest.

Cheers

Thanks!

I already tossed that yucky looking one.

The 2 or 3 that are lagging still look healthy, they are just growing much slower, like only 1 or 2 of the inoculation points started to colonize.

#11 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:03 AM

Hi again!

So I have 7 jars that are consolidating, so I plan on birthing them in 7 - 10 days.

They look exactly like how I think they should look from what I have read and seen here.

I have 4 other jars... 3 started to colonize, then seem to have stalled... 1 did not colonize at all.

With my 7 healthy jars, I can see there is a little bit of liquid (assuming water, it is clear) at the bottom of each jar.

The jars that aren't doing well lack that moisture at the bottoms of the jars.

Is it possible that the substrate was too dry?

I did my 12 jars in 2 batches, but I didn't keep track of which batch went into which jar... but I made them at the same time, with the same ratios (although it is possible that one was a bit wetter than the other).

Just trying to figure out what I did wrong with these jars so that I don't repeat.

Regardless, if things keep going like they are going, it looks like I will have 7 cakes to birth next week!

As always, thanks again for all your wisdom!

#12 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

Hi again!

Just trying to figure out what I did wrong with these jars so that I don't repeat.

Regardless, if things keep going like they are going, it looks like I will have 7 cakes to birth next week!

As always, thanks again for all your wisdom!

Experience is the best way to learn! Doing pretty well friend :)

Now when you make your next batch of jars, do it exactly like that batch of seven jars :) Of course labeling and keeping track of methods and material helps too :)

#13 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Hello again!

So my 7 jars have been consolidating for between 18 and 21 days.

Everything looks good from what my limited knowledge tells me.

No red flags regarding contam or anything.

What I thought might be some pinning just turned out to be little flecks of verm being pressed up against the glass.

They have been stored in a dark cabinet, at a temperature of 69 - 71 F.

My question: From what I have learned, while 21 days is a little on the long side for consolidation, at room temp, and with no obvious signs of trouble, things are more than likely still moving as expected?

I understand that I really should wait until I see pinning until I dunk... I don't want to open the jars up and have them crumble on me.

Am I on the right track?

Edit: This is AFTER 14 days of colonization.

Edited by SlipperyJack, 29 January 2020 - 03:24 PM.

#14 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

If they are fully colonized and you let them consolidate for a bit,... they should be fine.

My first grow I had my cakes colonized and ready to go at 14 days after inoculation, very fast and exciting.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!