• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jesstifiable

Jesstifiable

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

I wanted to say a better hello and add some pics of my setup and maybe get some advice.   I have two strains, Penis Envy and Mazatapec.  First thing I did was make your basic SGFC, easy enough.  My biggest worry was sterilization of course, so I went ahead an made a glove box but I realized it would be too small for all the jars a I had (20 1/2 pint) so I decided to convert my closet to a clean room.

I got plastic wrapping and lined the whole thing

Sealed her up nice and sterilized!

Got some really nice cakes after a couple week! Popped em all out!  And put em in the FC!

So here is the thing. I messed up not labeling, good news is I figured out which are which. At first only the mazatapec grew on 4 cakes, the were very nice flushes! Or at least okay flushes, had a fun little get together with friends with em! I don't know yet how much space on the cake gets covered. The rest did not grow. I thought maybe they just dried out, so I re-soaked the other 16 cakes and the rest the maz. have started to fruit, but my penis envy still lies dormant and has taken over the casing I put on it already.  

Here is my question: could I be doing something wrong with the penis envy? Do I need to trigger fruiting a special way?

I'm very happy with my first time grow though, no contams! I felt like a scientist in that little room with my clean clothes and mask on lol.  It was loads of fun! I'm going to try a monotub next which kind of leads me to another question; If I didn't fruit the PE, could I grate it up and use it with a bulk substrate assuming nothing is wrong with it? If not, it's cool, cause I'm making malt agar and cloning the maz anyway. I'm super excited about this new hobby and will probably lead to me growing gourmet and healthy mushrooms too! Thanks for all the help getting me started here too! Few more pics for yas, let me know what you think, give any advice!

I wanted to post pictures but it keeps saying I can't post that file type. Tried with .png and .jpg.  So another question, how to show these photos lol.

Thanks again for everything!

#2 Jesstifiable

Jesstifiable

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:58 PM

I think I figured out how to post pics!! So here they are! These are the order I intended

closet1.jpg

closet2.jpg

PElatest.jpg

mazatapeclatest.jpg

mush1.jpg

mush2.jpg

Sorry for my nubness lol. I'm just glad I figured it out!

• onediadem, Skywatcher, CatsAndBats and 2 others like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,085 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:50 PM

Welcome Jesstifiable,

You are a free member now, and able to post in all of the forums and start threads. I moved this one over into the magic mushrooms for you, so you will get more views and reply's.

Looks pretty good for a first go to me.......................... :biggrin:

• Moonless and Jesstifiable like this

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 560 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

By resoak i assume you mean you dunked the cakes?
Also the info from your post does not give us any reference of time as to how long you have been waiting for fruits to show. Knowing that would better help us assist you. I've never grown Penis envy myself but from what I've read it can be much slower than other strains.
I would resist the urge to mess with them and just continue misting and fanning until you see results whether it be fruits or contaminates.
Sounds like you've already got some cakes to fruit so congrats on that.
  • Jesstifiable likes this

#5 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 560 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

gallery_150062_1521_757868.jpg
  • CatsAndBats, Moonless, psilyguy808 and 1 other like this

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,866 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:25 PM

Solid graphic, man!

• pastyoureyes and Moonless like this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,841 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:30 AM

Welcome!

• Jesstifiable likes this

#8 Jesstifiable

Jesstifiable

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

By resoak i assume you mean you dunked the cakes?
Also the info from your post does not give us any reference of time as to how long you have been waiting for fruits to show. Knowing that would better help us assist you. I've never grown Penis envy myself but from what I've read it can be much slower than other strains.
I would resist the urge to mess with them and just continue misting and fanning until you see results whether it be fruits or contaminates.
Sounds like you've already got some cakes to fruit so congrats on that.

Yes! I meant dunked. They seemed dry.  It's been 2-3 weeks fruiting now.  4 of the Maz. are on their 3rd flushes now, After I dunked the other 6, they're fruiting now, two them faster than the others, but the PE hasn't fruited at all. The mycelium surrounded the verm casing layer and hasn't started fruiting. This morning though there are a couple small pins on one of the cakes, so I probably just need to wait! Some of the Maz. took longer than the other too, so you're probably right. I wish I did better note taking, like dates and strains lol, would have helped me to help you too. Next time!  

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,915 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

PE can take twice as long, sometimes even longer to fruit compared to other strains.

If it is completely colonizing the verm, it sounds to me like it was still in a vegetative state and that the center of the cake was not fully colonized. This is one of the reasons it is suggested to not birth cakes until the start to pin in the jar. It is not uncommon for them to appear fully colonized on the exterior but to have not fully colonized the interior. If you birth them too early, the can start to dry out before they start to fruit. They will not start to fruit until the nutrient source has been fully colonized so it is better to be patient and birth once they start to pin in the jar to avoid this issue.

• pastyoureyes, Pipeline and PsiloIdaho like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!