Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Must-Have Privacy Tech: Stuff Internet Ads and Trackers Into Your Pi-Hole!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

It's ad and tracker/malware blocking at the network level!

This means if you install one on your router, anyone who connects to your network will be spared from all the crap that it blocks. This is especially handy in households with kids who don't quite get the whole "you really need to be careful what you click on" thing yet.

And it also blocks mobile ads (Android and iOS) and smart TV ads! Which is not quite as effective as avoiding a "smart" TV altogether, but some folks have already made that mistake and spent the money so this would be a good patch.

For some people with lower-speed connections this will also dramatically improve their perceived connection speed by freeing-up the drag on their bandwidth that ads and trackers normally cause since they are blocked at the DNS level instead of by a browser or their device's firewall.

The project's main site:

https://pi-hole.net/

A highly-caffeinated and somewhat ironic video about how to set it up:

[Direct Link]

He's kind of accidentally showing us the future of ads since he explains how to block them in a video that basically functions as a de facto ad, lol.

This is not a simple plug-and-play device (yet!), and takes some technical skill to build and install. So if you can't or don't want to do it yourself, find a geeky friend who can since as soon as they hear about it they'll want one for themselves and they'll owe you one for turning them on to it.

Reb

• Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#2 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

I looked that up it's for the following OS: 

Raspbian Jessie / Stretch / Buster ARM

Ubuntu 16.x / 18.x ARM / x86_64

Debian 8 / 9 ARM / x86_64 / i386 

Fedora 28 / 29 ARM / x86_64 C

CentOS 7 x86_64

Wonder if it really works on Raspbian Buster though. I think I will give it a shot. Would welcome others participating, so we could have some exchange here. I love technical stuff on Mycotopia!

• TVCasualty likes this

#3 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:06 AM

I already got through the installation. I followed these instructions:

https://docs.pi-hole.../basic-install/

I used alternative one (git clone).

Hardware I used is a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I set up a fresh Raspbian Buster Lite image and used ssh from my desktop computer for installation of the software.

The good thing is, you only have to copy one line of code into the terminal and the rest is a dialogue-style setting-up procedure.

I used the defaults always and the whole thing installed automatically.

In the end you have a small server that is routing and filtering the internet traffic from your router to all of the end devices you use in your local network.

The only thing that has been a bit challenging was the necessary change of the DHPC server on the router interface.

During installation, the pi-hole gets assigned its own IP-address. It has to be entered in the DHCP-settings on the router.

It's explained here:

https://docs.pi-hole...n/post-install/

Also the pi-hole has a web interface. You can get to it by typing [ipadressofyourpihole]/admin

When installation is complete you will be given a password for the admin-interface, better write that down as soon as you see it.

In the admin-interface you then will be able to see the amount queries that have been blocked.

Nice UI, by the way.

Whilst I am writing this, 3 queries have been blocked.

By the way, the Pi I use has an armor casing. I use it as an additional heating pad for my grow!

• TVCasualty and Shroomn like this

#4 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,025 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

They were giving out google nest's at our company Christmas party. Luckily I got something more useful like a sweater. I would have sold it for a chocolate bar

Reminds me of this time some people had this app that you could do daily trivia and win a couple bucks.  It instantly made me go, well I guess your personal data is worth at least a couple bucks a day

Ever wonder how all these relatively add free apps can stay in business. We know nothing in this life comes for free, unless you steal it of course but even that takes some work.

They make money selling your data . When the app first starts out and it asks your for permissions. Right there. You say allow access to my microphone, pictures, contacts, and messages.

#5 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

Absolutely true. The data can be protected by law to remain anonymous. They'll use it anyway, because they can get the location where you are, the OS you use, how many likes you give, if your tablet or cellular is powered on or off at night, what's the average temperature in your location and so on.

And they sell that data to companies and make good money from that.

Nowadays we have even problems with tablets or cellulars sold on the market with malware installed in their firmware.

Must have been an accident. Like the IoT puppet for the children with standard passwords in their Wifi setup.

Once I set up Tjbot on my Raspberry Pi. It's a product of IBM given for free, mostly to promote their cloud services.

I installed it, then I could test out their AI cloud services a little bit. 

With a program written in JS and available on github provided from IBM it is possible to make queries on Twitter entries for certain keywords.

Like how often the word impeachment has been used today. Then it counts  all the entries using that word. It applies another service where the associated emotion is queried.

Like someone writes fu..... impeachment, it is bad. Good impeachment is good. It gives out a color (a LED lights up on Tjbots head).

Green is positive emotion, yellow is neutral, red is bad.

Everyone can set this up making own queries with it.

Gouvernments can use it. How often the word shrooms is used. And they can scan for the current trends, like every citicen can do.

Of course they do that on a level we can't even imagine, influencing elections, manipulating public meaning.

But the private person can write their own programs of course.

Twitter offers you the free developer account, AVS and Alexa do the same.

They have nothing against you writing your own program making your own inquiries. They invite you to do so. Anonymous, of course.

Even Zuck' was hacked on Twitter guys. Take care.

Edited by Alpoehi, 02 January 2020 - 11:45 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

Of course they do that on a level we can't even imagine, influencing elections, manipulating public meaning.

Considering how powerful modern processors are, this is a sobering statistic:

At a recent conference in San Francisco, Gary Dickerson took the stage and made a bold prediction. The chief executive of Applied Materials, which is a big supplier to the semiconductor industry, warned that in the absence of significant innovation in materials, chip manufacturing and design, data centers’ AI workloads could account for a tenth of the world’s electricity usage by 2025.

https://www.technolo...ing-microchips/

That is a lot of electricity. It would be real interesting to know how the priorities for the applications of such unimaginable processing power are being decided, and by whom.

Edited by TVCasualty, 02 January 2020 - 12:04 PM.

• Theinvitrowalrus and Alpoehi like this

#7 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,025 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

I wonder how big the e currency piece of pie is. Crypto's have to be the biggest waste of energy in the world. Intentionally throttling computers and drawing power to produce an imaginary product

Everyone always thinks terminator when we speak of the dangers of AI. The big robot revolution. While it could be an eventuality.  I see the more urgent danger as people using AI to dominate and control other people

Edited by flashingrooster, 02 January 2020 - 12:12 PM.

#8 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

Think about autonomous driving, delivery by drone, warehouse logistics, Musk satellites and 5G ... the environment is treated like a piece of shit and the elite is doing nothing about it.
Who is the player and who is the victim here?
  • Alder Logs likes this

#9 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:35 AM

querieslog.PNG I got this running for one day now. Lots of queries have been blocked.

I use a RPI 4 4GB RAM mostly during the day. You see it at the attached graphics, lots of blacklisted queries on it.

Turning on my Windows 10 notebook is so useless by now because of unwanted traffic on it. 

I just use it for stuff that requires more CPU power like CAD, picture processing and a few others programs that are licensed for MS only.

When I switch on my MS Windows notebook, it immediately starts to heat up, the fan turns on and hot air comes out of it. But I do nothing on it. What is happening here?

It's a waste of energy and resources, therefore I decided to use it only when I dont't have another option.

I decided last summer to use RPI only. They are fast enough now, surfing the net with multiple tabs, excellent video performance, good OS, no anti-virus necessary.

And it's cheap. When the harddrive (micro SD-card) should crash, I put in another one. It's very easy to make a backup of the whole card. I want it as it should be - like children's play.

I also have a 52PI CPU fan installed on my RPI. No problems with overheating, on 3.3 volts you don't even hear that fan.

It's very easy connecting a USB-flashdrive for backing up your data. You can set very strict RWX settings on it to prevent any data-sucking from your internet connection.

Guys this happens permanently, we just don't see this! It also ran overnight. Yes I am stupid, leaving my tablet online during night.

The Pi-Hole showed me that there was a lot of lurking into my apps being busy the whole night. You know, you have to give permissions for apps you don't even want to have.

But that's the Android world, very bad indeed!

I'm very satisfied with the Pi-Hole installation. I enables my RPI running faster due to less internet traffic on it.

I wish lots of people would do the same. This could change the world a little bit.

"If everyone takes a small step it will sum up to a giant leap." Alpoehi.

• TVCasualty and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#10 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:59 PM

It's possible to go stealth with a bit of diligence, and small investment.  I am also a bit of a geek on many fronts, but only started researching anonymity recently.  Check this out.  If you really want to, be diligent...it's all there.

Proton VPN is a great free VPN service if you're simply trying to bounce to masked IPs.  But it will slow you down. 

Flashing, completely agree mining is a huge energy suck and ultimately unproductive if using energy directly from "the grid".  I've seen claims of mining dedicated servers only using several hundred watts, but a build that could produce any ROI will run at least 3000W - ~equivalent to a 5 ton A/C unit. 

I have several 300W solar panels that only need a couple new diodes I am considering directly wiring to mining hardware...but there are only so many hours in the day and I currently prefer to focus my energy on growing mushrooms (and other gardening).  Cheers.

• Alpoehi likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!