• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

I'm in the beginning phases of working on a research project regarding the bodies physiology and the metabolic processes involved with the Psilocybin experience. I'm curious if anyone has any information regarding the nutritional 'cost' of a psilocybin trip.

On a basic level, I understand how the various neurotransmitters work, and the serotonin receptor/psilocybin connection;  (I have a number of Neurochemistry/ Psychopharmacology books arriving by mail in the coming weeks, to  solidly this understanding)  But what I'm most interested in is the metabolic demands that psilocybin makes on the body, especially in regards to various fats and vitamins.

Conceivably, given the neurogenesis taking place; I would expect to see a large quantity of cholesterol and essential fatty acids get used up- but I'd love to see studies quantifying this

I imagine also, that injesting mushrooms in a state where the brain is using ketones as fuel as opposed to glucose would have a marked influence on the trip.

How does a trip deplete the body? How can we optimally add nutrients pre and post in order to facilitate more revealing, cleaner,  more healing experiences?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Severian, 01 January 2020 - 05:03 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,989 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

For me it depletes my blood sugar, and that's about it as far as I can tell when it comes to metabolic demands.

I'd guess that that's because the brain is fueled entirely by sugar and tripping turns our brains up to 11 for hours. The depletion of other nutrients doesn't seem to be any different than in contexts where I physically exert myself moderately for 6 hours or so (with fungi).

One thing I notice about tripping that seems to support this is that once I come down, I usually end up having to take a leak every 15-20 minutes for an hour or two no matter how well-hydrated I was during the trip (the floodgates don't really open until I come down for whatever reason). I figure this is my body finally getting a chance to eliminate the metabolic waste products of all that heavy thinkin'.

Sometimes I'll even feel like I need to head back to the bathroom while I'm still on my way back to my bedroom from my last trip to the bathroom! And it's not merely a sensation of feeling like I have to go; my bladder will fill ALL the way up in minutes at those times. It's remarkable, and kind of annoying (especially when out camping in a tent, lol) but better than the troubles that come with dehydration.

I'm also often ravenously hungry afterward, and sometimes near the end as I'm coming down I'll feel crappy, my eyes will get tight and squinty and I get an overall unpleasant feeling where I really want to go to sleep but can't. When that happens I found that I can make those symptoms go away almost immediately by eating a spoonful or two of good quality raw honey with a big glass of water (since IME those feelings come from either low blood sugar, dehydration, or both).

So while anecdotal, all of the observations I've made support a hypothesis that tripping on fungi primarily depletes blood sugar and if there is any nutrient depletion (besides glucose) involved it is probably not significant.

#3 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

A while back a member had mentioned they use a Huperzine A & citicoline stack (I don’t remember if it was for micro dosing or tripping) but if I remember correctly it was to help fend off the post (brain been working too hard headaches) I started taking both and have noticed a difference. I Did a low dose fun trip on Christmas and forgot to pre dose with the stack & toward the end had a massive headache and realized I forgot the stack. Took some then and felt the headache subside maybe 45 min later have avoided it all together when I go through my pre flight check list. Of course given the neurotransmitter usage I make sure I have enough L -tryptophan in my system too. I do think there is something to the citicoline and huperzine A though that might merit further investigation.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!