• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

15 qt tub using popcorn tek to grow PE. Once it started pinning little balls formed and turned brown. Next the balls started splitting open and what looks like stems started growing. I really started getting confused when what looks like gills started forming Are my mushrooms literally growing upside down? Has anybody ever seen this and/or can you help me understand what's happening?

Also, can anybody offer advice on getting fungi gnats undercontrol before I lose 2 of my tubs.20200101_212815.jpg
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:14 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...y/#entry1424026

Penis envy seems to be going bad across the OMC's.

I remain optimistic though:

https://mycotopia.ne...us-of-my-penis/

• -=Zeus=- and Maddmyco like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:57 AM

-=Zeus=- !

Good to see you!

Edited by CatsAndBats, 02 January 2020 - 12:58 AM.

#4 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:03 AM

Interesting that there are so many issues with P.E. I do not understand why people are insisting on growing these alien blobs.

I blew that picture up and unless my computer screen is showing different colors, that substrate looks totally contaminated.

• Maddmyco likes this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:15 AM

Interesting that there are so many issues with P.E. I do not understand why people are insisting on growing these alien blobs.

I blew that picture up and unless my computer screen is showing different colors, that substrate looks totally contaminated.

You just hate the name.

https://mycotopia.ne...s/#entry1351216

;)

• onediadem and Maddmyco like this

#6 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:35 AM

True that.. I still do lol.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

About a year ago, I was working with a PE clone from one of our members... I used a casing layer as many suggest to try eliminating some of the mutant blobs to no avail... It was blob city and I decided I was done with the PE... Several month later, my buddy inoculated some jars for me and used the PE LC that was in the fridge by accident... This time, when the same clone was grown out, there were very few blobs though they were not entirely eliminated... There were enough bags done each time to conclude that this was not a one off and that some factor in the process had contributed to the number of blobs produced...

I have some theories...

The first PE run had a higher percentage of Hpoo, a higher percentage of verm, and a casing layer...

I have not found time to experiment with this further but I believe that either the higher nutrient content or higher water content of the substrate in the first run contributed to more blobs being produced. Since it is common for more blobs to form during the first flush and typical fruit bodies being formed in later flushes, I believe it is likely the higher nutrient content that led to more mutant blobs being poduced.... I have not completely ruled out the possibility that higher water content was a contributing factor...

Maybe someone has the time to experiment with this further but I think there is a strong possibility that these are contributing factors in the number of mutant blobs produced... A substrate that is less nutritious and/or has a lower water content may produce more typically shaped fruits...

your welcome.... :biggrin: :cool: :tinfoil:

• CatsAndBats and Maddmyco like this

#8 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

CatsAndBats, I understand by looking at the pic that it appears contaminated, but it's not. I did however drop my light in the tub when trying to get a better look at what's going on. I damaged the sub slightly abd bruised a small spot of mycelium.

PJammer24, one thing I know for sure from your research, is that overhydration is not taking place here. If anything low temps and lack of moisture are more prevalent in my case. I did not use a casing layer, but I have been growing under a blue light bulb in my closet. It's not a fancy bulb. I got it from Walmart just because I wanted to try it. I'm not using any poo at all, but I'm sure my mixture is quite rich. This is my first experience with PE and from it I may stick to more naturally occurring strands.

#9 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

Rhetoric question; these blobs are going to be just as edible as if they didn't grow on their heads correct?
  • PJammer24 likes this

#10 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

CatsAndBats, thanks for providing related links. I haven't read everything yet, but growing blobs seems to be how PE rolls. I do agree 100% that they do colonize slower, grow slower, and fruit like sluggish turds, but as a result they apear to be very meaty and weigh more than your average cube. My being new and wanting some potency from my grow drove me to try PE. And I've got 6 more quart jars of popcorn still colonizing after being innoculated on 11/20. They're close too full colonization, but damn.

#11 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:15 PM

Alright, I've concluded after reading through the links provided that I'm in good company. You all appear to be some damn fools! Happy New Year!

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

PE is going to blob to some extent no matter what... My experience was with a slew of bags that blobbed VERY badly and then a slew that had minimal blobbing what so ever... The only differences were those I detailed above and it was the exact same LC used each time.... by slew I mean dozens...

#13 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

onediadem, I think you were correct about the contamination. The blue blue streak is from me stroking my penis too hard. I wondered what it felt like. All the discoloration appears blue and it still smells like mycelium. I'm going to rely on feedback from you guys to help me. Ultimately if this tub is a loss, can I still consume my fruits? What kind of contam is this?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200104_102937.jpg
  • 20200104_103647.jpeg

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

That is some crazy stuff. Looks like syph.

• joeya likes this

#15 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:02 AM

Syph?? I'm gonna look that up. I just wanna salcage what I can at this point. What a bummer. Are my fruits still edible if I harvest them now?

#16 Elenchus

Elenchus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Maddmyco,

Chopped habanero/scotch bonnet peppers mixed with water in a spray bottle will kill fungus gnats on contact and does not harm the mushrooms. 

• Maddmyco likes this

#17 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

It looks like text book extreme Dry Bubble AKA verticillium. You can see how grey the mycelium is looking too which is a sign. Or it could be what's called "rosecomb" which isn't really officially known what that is but some say it's related to a reaction with chemicals or something.

You should be able to safely eat them barring any allergies but I would HIGHLY recommend only eating them after a 150+ F dehydrator run to kill the fungus. And then I'd make a tea.

Edited by sandman, 10 January 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• Maddmyco likes this

#18 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

This is my first PE and boy what a curve ball, but a hell of a learning experience. I've been really concerned about edibility. I was definitely going yo make a tea of sorts. The larger, know dry fruits are not appealing in the least. I'm relying on my eyes and nose as to whether I should even consider eating some.

On a serious upturn for this tub, once I removed all the mutant fruits I've gathered a couple normal nice size PE. More importantly I haven't misted this tub since I was concerned it was a loss like 4 days ago. The sub color looks much healthier. The bluish color went away and the tub smells healthier.

#19 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:15 AM

Syph?? I'm gonna look that up. I just wanna salcage what I can at this point. What a bummer. Are my fruits still edible if I harvest them now?

Syphilis.. It is penis envy. I was joking.

• Maddmyco likes this

#20 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

I realized that after the fact. I was a little slow.

As concerned as I was about those ugly bulbs being edible or not, my wife and I made 7g of psilly tea each yesterday. I'm new to mushrooms and to PE. Would you say PE's intensity is comparable to other strands?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!