#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:00 PM

Hello fam, been awhile. Trying to get back into the swing of things, i.e. mushrooms.. struggling at getting anything past spawn. Uhg! out of 14 quarts i managed 1 mushroom and a lot of mold. I know what I am doing wrong besides using my lazy sterile grow mold tek, I think a bit of karma might be telling me something, that is that I have let down my topiate fam. I know i kinda just bailed on the whole thing. I had responsibilities here and I could not live up to them, for that, I am here to make amends and try and right my wrong. besides lifes ups and downs, getting on disability and starting a woodworking hobby/biz, I have more time on my hands, and should have kept up on my admin duties and auctions which are needed.

Ok, nuf said.. on to the mush.. here's a few tips on what NOT to do, these are a couple bad habits I have gotten into and need to stop, if I want to be successful..

1. DO NOT!  squirt water into a baggie with a print in it, mix it and suck it back into the syringe and expect to not have any contaminations... a couple scrapes of the spores into a sterile vessel is all you need! 

2. DO NOT! make your spore water as black as night, this just adds more contaminates then it can handle.  a couple scrapes of the spores into a sterile vessel is all you need! 

3. DO!  check your injection ports regularly (for rubber S.H.I.Ps). My blue SHIPs have hardened over the years and no longer "self heal" I noticed this while cleaning my lids, I noticed a pin light shining through the injection port. ( note: these are the blue ships, Red ships are a little softer and may not be affected)

The best advice I could give myself would be to go back to what gave you success, don't be lazy! a few minutes of time saving will give you months of grief, it's not worth it.

wharfs new years resolution: Spend more time with my fam  :hug:

Love you all, have a grateful helix around the sun

• -=Zeus=-, Coopdog, PJammer24 and 11 others like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

Hi Warfdigity!! Hope you are well my friend!! Glad to see you rejoin the ranks!! Spring will be upon us before we know it and with spring comes spring/summer tours... Just sayin...!!

Let your beautiful lady know I say HELLO!!! :)

Happy New Year!!

Edited by PJammer24, 02 January 2020 - 03:31 PM.

• Coopdog and wharfrat like this

#3 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:38 PM

Wharfrat, Hey I've been thinking about you hoping that you are doing well.  The spore prints that I got from auction months ago have been excellent.  Glad to have you back!

• wharfrat likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,967 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Damn nice to see you friend :)  

• Coopdog, wharfrat and peacefrog like this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

Hi Warfdigity!! Hope you are well my friend!! Glad to see you rejoin the ranks!! Spring will be upon us before we know it and with spring comes spring/summer tours... Just sayin...!!

Let your beautiful lady know I say HELLO!!! :)

Happy New Year!!

patiently :mellow: waiting for spring.. cant wait for a show,  I need to GTF outta this house for a few. getting a bit stir crazy lately

• Coopdog, PJammer24 and Boebs like this

#6 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

i need to do a write up on my KISS teck (keep it simple stupid) one of these days.

• wharfrat likes this

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:28 PM

Ya think Wharf would know that grow advise belongs in a Here We Grow forum. Alder Logs will probably remind you too lol. I use baggie frequently to make spore syringes without any contams. I'm pretty sure it's the quality of the print and not the method. The idea of a few scrapes definitely helps when working with a dirty print as like ya mentioned there is less dirty spores being introduced. You're probably just using my prints and having bad luck? Plenty more in baggies to send you if you need more. I got your tix in the box for the next show!!! Good to see ya online Brother! TTYS :hug:

Edited by coorsmikey, 02 January 2020 - 07:36 PM.

• PJammer24, wharfrat and FunG like this

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

Ya think Wharf would know that grow advise belongs in a Here We Grow forum. Alder Logs will probably remind you too lol. I use baggie frequently to make spore syringes without any contams. I'm pretty sure it's the quality of the print and not the method. The idea of a few scrapes definitely helps when working with a dirty print as like ya mentioned there is less dirty spores being introduced. You're probably just using my prints and having bad luck? Plenty more in baggies to send you if you need more. I got your tix in the box for the next show!!! Good to see ya online Brother! TTYS :hug:

ya I know, just keeping you guys on your toes  :tongue: i will move it

and I have had luck for awhile just shooting the water into the baggie, but not lately. It really is a bad habit though and one I would not teach.

edit: and the last try was with my prints, so just goes to show you.

Edited by wharfrat, 02 January 2020 - 08:42 PM.

#9 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:53 AM

To me I invented using a ziplock bag for spore syringes, there was never a write up anywhere on the internet other then posts about it on "the other" site. If the syringe came out dirty it's because either you poked a hole threw the plastic and sucked up a small bit of outside air or the print itself was made with very poor sterile procedures.

I take my own prints and bag them up and then make charcoal black syringes that I dilute with sterile water per every 2cc's used....a syringe lasts me forever and contaminates are not a problem what so ever....again, it comes down to the sterile procedure taken during printing and even if the syringe is dirty you can just put .5cc on a petri dish/120ml canning jar and isolate out a clean piece of mycelium and then make a agar slurry and noc up a grain spawn master and so forth....

I like baggies and I like charcoal black syringes and I like it when people blame the whole process rather then just accept the fact that it was a contaminate issue caused by the print and not the method of propigation into the syringe....if you need a clean print in a baggy I've got some golden teachers I'd be happy to send you and I guarantee you can go direct from print to syringe to spawn jars with them.

I did to get my grain spawn masters for my current grow.
  • Coopdog, wharfrat, adrian118 and 1 other like this

#10 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

To me I invented using a ziplock bag for spore syringes, there was never a write up anywhere on the internet other then posts about it on "the other" site. If the syringe came out dirty it's because either you poked a hole threw the plastic and sucked up a small bit of outside air or the print itself was made with very poor sterile procedures.

I take my own prints and bag them up and then make charcoal black syringes that I dilute with sterile water per every 2cc's used....a syringe lasts me forever and contaminates are not a problem what so ever....again, it comes down to the sterile procedure taken during printing and even if the syringe is dirty you can just put .5cc on a petri dish/120ml canning jar and isolate out a clean piece of mycelium and then make a agar slurry and noc up a grain spawn master and so forth....

I like baggies and I like charcoal black syringes and I like it when people blame the whole process rather then just accept the fact that it was a contaminate issue caused by the print and not the method of propigation into the syringe....if you need a clean print in a baggy I've got some golden teachers I'd be happy to send you and I guarantee you can go direct from print to syringe to spawn jars with them.

I did to get my grain spawn masters for my current grow.

no shit it's a contaminated print or foil the print was on.. if you know me at all, you know I probably have over 1000 prints, a lot are mine and a lot were from member donations. which ones are clean? more than likely mine would be the favored but can't win them all. No were did I blame the procedure, but what the procedure can cause if working with unknown print quality. I would still never teach that meathod.

no thanks on the GT, I've got over 200 of that strain.

who are you anyway? if you invented the 'baggie tek' as you claim, your name would be all over topia, considering we are the oldest forum still online.

• coorsmikey, Juthro, Thacan and 1 other like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,967 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

who are you anyway? if you invented the 'baggie tek' as you claim, your name would be all over topia, considering we are the oldest forum still online.

Come on Wharf, you know who this guy is.....

post-136504-0-64162500-1578082992.png

Attached Thumbnails

• Mr.KIA_star_text.png

Edited by Juthro, 03 January 2020 - 03:25 PM.

• wharfrat and Thacan like this

#12 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

Pr0_x
Hybridprx
FunG

I had to ditch hybridprx because of unmedicated internet behavior, I pissed off one to many trolls.

But I am new here to mycotopia because even though I just try to go the logical route about cultivation, sometimes logic can't be understood for whatever reason like if you say you hate a method why diss the method if it works when all the components are in check? Its unlogical lol I'm just razzing you
  • wharfrat likes this

#13 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:22 PM

Pr0_x
Hybridprx
FunG

I had to ditch hybridprx because of unmedicated internet behavior, I pissed off one to many trolls.

But I am new here to mycotopia because even though I just try to go the logical route about cultivation, sometimes logic can't be understood for whatever reason like if you say you hate a method why diss the method if it works when all the components are in check? Its unlogical lol I'm just razzing you

it's all good.. we love each other on this forum, no disrespect here.

the whole point of this post was to put in writing what "I" might be doing wrong, what "might" be the cause of all "my" frustrations. This was not an advice to all post.  hell, it might not even be the prints, as I have visible holes

in my injection ports, if I can see through it, then it's plenty big enough for mold spore to get in.  

i'm just glad to be back home, I been away too long  :hug:

edit: I guess I did say "here's a few tips" so my bad wording, it was meant for me (and mikey cuz he taught me it!)  :tongue:

Edited by wharfrat, 03 January 2020 - 04:27 PM.

• peacefrog, Thacan and FunG like this

#14 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

Welcome back brother. I have been remiss in not calling and saying hello as well. Hope life is sorting out for you and that the ups and downs even out a little bit. I think the whole last year was one huge rough time for a lot of people. I think that might just have been one of the roughest years I have ever had. Hope this one goes a little better for the both of us, and once again, welcome back

• wharfrat likes this

#15 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

Welcome back brother. I have been remiss in not calling and saying hello as well. Hope life is sorting out for you and that the ups and downs even out a little bit. I think the whole last year was one huge rough time for a lot of people. I think that might just have been one of the roughest years I have ever had. Hope this one goes a little better for the both of us, and once again, welcome back

good seeing you brother.. it was a very strange year, huge ups and huge downs. I was hopeful for 2020 but we couldn't even get a week into the new year without beating the drums of war. I really need to turn off the news and go out in the woods somewhere for few years.

• Coopdog, Juthro, Thacan and 1 other like this

#16 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 179 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 04:42 AM

I'm getting very proficient at growing mold too it seems. Lost two mono's to the mean green last week  :sad: . Looking forward to it becoming colder here. Mid-summer heat sucks and I probably need to be more careful. Moving to a new home soon which isn't so old and mold ridden which should help. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!