94 replies to this topic

#61 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:23 AM

Have you guys ever checked out backpacker guitars. I got a free one that some one was gonna take apart for the parts. Sounds like shit plugged in, but super comfortable lil couch rocker and the action is loose enough to practice solos on (but not as good as a Tele)
  • Coopdog likes this

#62 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:31 PM

I am a drummer but I also collect drums. I recently sold my entire collection of over 100 sets and about 300 snares because I am moving cross country. Here's a pic of a few of my snares. Most of my stuff was vintage. Lots of the 3 ply era with just about every kit that Ludwig and Slingerland ever made. In most of the colors. LMAO I used to play a different set every time we gigged and I still seldom saw the same set twice over a long period. LOL

snarecolletionebay.jpg

Edited by Ringo, 15 April 2021 - 08:31 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#63 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:12 PM

Finally not a guitar player! Are you a drummer or a musician? (sorry had to)

#64 Ringo

Ringo

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:36 PM

LOL I get it all the time. When the Corona party started and all our gigs were cancelled, I found out real fast it's no fun to jam alone when you're a drummer. So, I bought a guitar and a keyboard and started learning music.

What a joke. Music theory is a trick that an Italian drummer played on people who couldn't play drums. No shit, look it up. He designed the way you guys tune your guitar.

I mean, they have something called the circle of fifths. Which is actually divided into twelfths. Used to describe 8 notes. What the fuck.

And the standard guitar tuning. Another joke. That was so you couldn't play a chord without distorting your wrist and fingers like some kind of spaz. Tune to an open key and play every chord with one finger and oe fret. Duh! Italians have such a great sense of humor.

And, that's not all. WTF happened to B# and E#. No wonder the keyboard doesn't go black white black white black white, all the way like it should.

OK, let's pretend like drummers go along with this ridiculous theory..... 1,2,3,4  1,2,3,4  1,2,9!!! Oops sorry guys, the beat is all fucked up because we don't use every 3rd beat after the second measure on any song with a 4/4. DAMN!!!!

Drummers.... 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4

OK, you wanna get fancy... 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

And, if you're a real pro.... 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a.

That's about it! LOL

Yeah... we get no respect. Drummers... the Rodney Dangerfields of the rock and roll world. LOL

This poster says it all....

being a drummer.jpg

• Myc, Coopdog and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#65 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

I'd do horrible things to once again find a drummer that I clicked with. That actually had a real feel and could play with the band and not keep the band in time...shit's rare. I've been wanting to get into drumming forever for my bass playing...but I suck any time I try and can't get past it.

Try and use our music theory to explain eastern music...we do semitones and they go down to the micro if I recall?

How do you count to 6/8 and compound meters or is that just metal lol

Edited by rockyfungus, 15 April 2021 - 09:45 PM.

#66 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:02 AM

Good God ringo.....

And I thought I had a collecting problem.

That's a mighty impressive stack of snare.
I agree on the music theory. Never had the analytical mind to follow any of that. Every lesson book I've ever bought I only made it to chapter 1.

And after 30 some years I don't even understand the 6/8 compound what's?

Yous guys make me ashamed to call myself a musician.

Edited by Oldpunk, 16 April 2021 - 12:06 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and Ringo like this

#67 Enjoil

Enjoil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

I’m a good listener!
  • Ringo likes this

#68 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:11 AM

I’m a good listener!

Aye.....but what do you listen to?

#69 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 11:32 AM

That book learning bullshit is what killed music for me as a child. Some days I regret not being musically trained, like being able to understand what people are talking about. Luckily for me I play the drums and can learn most of it from watching someone play it or even just by listening to it.

If being a studio musician = better music then why are there so few that catch the public eye? There is simplistic beauty in music that often gets crowded with over elaborate fills. I think this is the most common mistake of artist's

• Coopdog likes this

#70 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:58 PM

I've been playing forever. Well 30+ years. Almost forever. And sometimes I jam with the guys who wanna explain the timing and "make sure you hit that Bflat minor sustained 7th" and my brain just shuts down. No idea what any of that means. Just play the song....i can keep up.

I haven't even played a guitar since.....i don't know. It's been a while, but one of the guys called up last night with a paying gig in 2 weeks. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've been at home with the Rona for 10 days so I'm safe to be released into the wild they say. But if I've just had it it's still around!!! So not too comfortable with the idea, but I'm gonna show up and do my part cuz it means a lot to my friends. So I guess I should try to practice.
Today let's try something from the Radius of Red!

(You gotta roll the R's or it loses some of its awesomeness)

20210426_154141~2.jpg
  • Coopdog likes this

#71 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

I decided on the old Peavey T60 gifted to me from an old hippy who's one hell of a picker.

20210426_160828~2.jpg
  • Coopdog likes this

#72 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

What are the pickups on that Peavy?

If being a studio musician = better music then why are there so few that catch the public eye? There is simplistic beauty in music that often gets crowded with over elaborate fills. I think this is the most common mistake of artist's

When I was younger I always thought speed was king. Now less is more, still love some shred, but I'd rather hear someone playing just what needs to be said. Country has a ton of studio musicians. They are the best cuz you pay them for a take and they get shit done. Bands will spend all day long in the studio if they can. 

• Coopdog and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#73 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

What are the pickups on that Peavy?

I dunno. They're the stock ones. Think it's an 82 or 83 model.
The rear switch controls a coil tap so when you flip it it boosts the signal..... A lot like using an overdrive pedal . pretty cool guitar but it weighs a ton.
  • rockyfungus likes this

#74 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:54 PM

Me too rocky, as I get older my listening habits have seemed to soften up to. While I still enjoy a good heavy song, or a speedy punk vibe, my mind gravitates towards calmer music these days.

I feel like I should say much respect to studio artists, I envy what they can do, one of my favorite guitar players Mr Jimmy page is a studio man

umm does it count that I was good at guitar hero? :cool:

But seriously that game did get me started on playing drums for real, like a set of training wheels I learned how to tap a basic beat with more than my foot

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 26 April 2021 - 08:59 PM.

#75 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:53 PM

Rooster. Of course it counts. Ever try Rock band? The one with the drum pads. Kinda cool except the pads were set up opposite a normal drum set. Nowadays I've got Rocksmith on my computer. The one where you plug in your real guitar. Absolutely awesome.

And im still a punk at heart. But I too have started to enjoy a lot of lighter music.....ive actually always loved the Blues and Frank Sinatra.

And Sometimes I just feel horny.

20210426_214903.jpg
  • Coopdog, FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#76 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:38 PM

Yeah that's what I meat to say, learned on the rock band drums. Forgot guitar hero was only guitar

I remember this guy laughing at me for saying I felt like I was learning something on them  because he had a real drum set and it was so different, which I do agree with him now but years later he can't even play a basic beat. Chump

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 07 May 2021 - 06:45 PM.

#77 Oldpunk

Oldpunk

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 875 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:57 PM

Heavy Metal Cigar Box Guitar build.

20210621_175234~2.jpg
  • Coopdog, FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#78 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

Heavy metal electrical box haha

#79 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2021 - 01:25 PM

Ringo right? Roostah!!!! NEEED HELP!!!!! Free drums. Decent skins, metal is garbage, some bent stands, and fuck this is a lot of bolts! Guess time to watch some youtube videos on setup, tuning, and basic left hand right hand technique. Took 1 drum lesson at like 8-9 and said FUCK THIS!

Never helped the drummer set up just threw the gear at him and said dance monkey...

Holy shit now I just need a piano, cello, and an organ and I'll never master anything! Basement is getting a bit tight and we are searching high and low for free/cheap gym equipment. I'll buy a new bench.

Edited by rockyfungus, 30 August 2021 - 01:30 PM.

#80 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,435 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2021 - 01:28 PM

Sorry for double post

That book learning bullshit is what killed music for me as a child. Some days I regret not being musically trained, like being able to understand what people are talking about. Luckily for me I play the drums and can learn most of it from watching someone play it or even just by listening to it.

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!