Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Roaring 20's are back, and the future is here!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

This is one of those articles about time that are both fascinating and horrifying at the same time: https://waitbutwhy.c...the-future.html

Perspective is an interesting subject. Time just isn't the same without it.

1-1.png

This example is kind of surreal, and would probably make Beyonce lose her shit:

The Wonder Years aired from 1988 and 1993 and depicted the years between 1968 and 1973. When I watched the show, it felt like it was set in a time long ago. If a new Wonder Years premiered today, it would cover the years between 2000 and 2005.

6-1-600x351.png

This is where it started to get especially disconcerting, lol:

8.png

:eek:

As for you, if you’re 60 or older, you were born closer to the 1800s than today.

4-1.png

Today’s 35-year-olds were born closer to the 1940s than to today.

5-1.png

There are a number of other examples in the article, and the site is worth a browse. I definitely recommend checking out this rather ambitious series that seeks to explain the human race (or rather why we do what we do) throughout it's/our entire history:  https://waitbutwhy.c...tory-of-us.html

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 January 2020 - 09:05 AM.

• -=Zeus=-, wharfrat, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:37 AM

There were a lot of years I didn't watch teevee, and when I did, there were only a couple sitcoms I would watch.  So, I haven't a clue what that show was about.  Oh, and I have been teevee free in my cabin for five years, next month, this time around, after judging that the satellite and all its channels was not worth it.

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 January 2020 - 10:39 AM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

That's a really interesting group of comparisons and ironically supports some comparisons I had been making.

While enjoying the Holidays with family the discussion of electronic "tech" always comes up. Phone etiquette, views on text messaging, how we care for prized items (in the context of ownership of complex items requiring maintenance and up-keep), .......all kinds of stuff.

What was realized is that I am a second generation removed from the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. Yet I still carry the values which are the result of those struggles.

Said another way:  I was instilled with a "Depression Era" value-set. Neighbors look in on each other (because independence was certain death during the Dust Bowl). We religiously maintain our automobiles. We take care of our clothes - often using them until they are thread-bare (and then re-purposing them as rags for cleaning). We get our boots re-soled for multiple uses (as opposed to tossing the run-down pair and buying another).

All of this stuff is a hold-over from tougher times and we were taught these values because my family learned the hard way - You know, you just never know. Just because bad shit hasn't happened yet - doesn't mean that it cannot happen. Just because you don't deserve bad shit to happen to you - doesn't mean that it won't.

Did I mention that I'm also of native american descent?  Add that one to the pile too. Nothing like an undeserved fucking from some foreign invaders to get your attention.

Mix all that up and compare those values to those being promoted today. I quit watching the news years ago. Now when I see "regular TV" at someone else's house - I feel really disconnected as if I were watching a side-show at a carnival or something.

This time-line might also assist in helping people see how the Neo-Nazis have taken over American and European politics. Time tends to obscure old scars.

Edited by Myc, 03 January 2020 - 10:58 AM.

• TVCasualty, -=Zeus=-, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

I throw almost nothing away, and certainly nothing with any chance of having some utility, come a collapse (or the 9.5 subduction quake).  It drives me nuts to see my friends with their nice clean houses where stuff may be tossed because it got a spot on it.

• Myc likes this

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

There were a lot of years I didn't watch teevee, and when I did, there were only a couple sitcoms I would watch.  So, I haven't a clue what that show was about.  Oh, and I have been teevee free in my cabin for five years, next month, this time around, after judging that the satellite and all its channels was not worth it.

It doesn't really matter for the purposes of the article. I never watched that show, either.

Edited by TVCasualty, 03 January 2020 - 12:18 PM.

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

That's a really interesting group of comparisons and ironically supports some comparisons I had been making.

While enjoying the Holidays with family the discussion of electronic "tech" always comes up. Phone etiquette, views on text messaging, how we care for prized items (in the context of ownership of complex items requiring maintenance and up-keep), .......all kinds of stuff.

What was realized is that I am a second generation removed from the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. Yet I still carry the values which are the result of those struggles.

Said another way:  I was instilled with a "Depression Era" value-set. Neighbors look in on each other (because independence was certain death during the Dust Bowl). We religiously maintain our automobiles. We take care of our clothes - often using them until they are thread-bare (and then re-purposing them as rags for cleaning). We get our boots re-soled for multiple uses (as opposed to tossing the run-down pair and buying another).

All of this stuff is a hold-over from tougher times and we were taught these values because my family learned the hard way - You know, you just never know. Just because bad shit hasn't happened yet - doesn't mean that it cannot happen. Just because you don't deserve bad shit to happen to you - doesn't mean that it won't.

Did I mention that I'm also of native american descent?  Add that one to the pile too. Nothing like an undeserved fucking from some foreign invaders to get your attention.

Mix all that up and compare those values to those being promoted today. I quit watching the news years ago. Now when I see "regular TV" at someone else's house - I feel really disconnected as if I were watching a side-show at a carnival or something.

This time-line might also assist in helping people see how the Neo-Nazis have taken over American and European politics. Time tends to obscure old scars.

I suspect that epigenetically-inherited PTSD from the traumas endured by prior generations explain a whole lot about modern society and geopolitics.

Not unlike relationship disasters where people screw up their current relationship by interacting with their partner as if they were still in a bad relationship that they ended in the past (so it's like the proverbial "emotional baggage" some bring to relationships expanded to a cultural level that spans generations).

Recent discoveries in making such connections have been truly fascinating, especially since the concept of "epigenetic" anything was considered impossible and mocked as a fringe/crackpot idea only a couple of decades ago, if not more recently.

• Myc and Cuboid like this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,329 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:02 PM

Re: epigenetically-inherited PTSD

After running that one past my Dad. He had no disagreements with the statement. It actually sparked an interesting conversation about how rural communities functioned and the essentials of interdependence upon one's neighbors.

Apparently, my grandfather met my grandmother while going to the community water tank to get water for the house. Some 30 families sourced water from that same community tank and hauled it back to their respective house-holds.

An edit and an add to my previous statements:

I was informed that my great grandmother walked the trail of tears - another wonderful boon bestowed upon a people by a magnanimous government. So maybe my inherited PTSD is somehow justified?

Perhaps it would explain my zeal for intoxicating substances.

Edited by Myc, 03 January 2020 - 09:52 PM.

• TVCasualty and coorsmikey like this

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

Sounds like another idea that was introduced by Velikovsky, only to have it considered hogwash in his time by the academics du jour.  He wrote extensively on his idea about this kind of thing. He took it back many generations, and figured, as the shrink he was, that if we didn't deal with it, we would figure out some way to do it again, even nuking ourselves.

#9 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

This thread has my brain going in a few different directions I will try to keep it brief

When I think of timelines my mind automatically goes to technology to try to get some perspective. Oh okay the cell phone and the car and nuclear power blah blah. When you sit back and look how fast we have accelerated in the last century. From horse and buggy to space flight, and nuclear power. And even those are old news now. The sky is not longer the limit so what should we say, the solar system is the limit

Lately it does feel like a bit of a  technological stall for some reason. I would suspect this too is a product of perception, in my ability to keep up with all the emerging teck out there

In a few hundred years will they look back on computers as we do things like the wheel, fire, writing and mathematics

Edited by flashingrooster, 06 January 2020 - 05:36 PM.

• Myc likes this

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

This thread has my brain going in a few different directions I will try to keep it brief

When I think of timelines my mind automatically goes to technology to try to get some perspective. Oh okay the cell phone and the car and nuclear power blah blah. When you sit back and look how fast we have accelerated in the last century. From horse and buggy to space flight, and nuclear power. And even those are old news now. The sky is not longer the limit so what should we say, the solar system is the limit

Lately it does feel like a bit of a  technological stall for some reason. I would suspect this too is a product of perception, in my ability to keep up with all the emerging teck out there

In a few hundred years will they look back on computers as we do things like the wheel, fire, writing and mathematics

10 years ago iPads weren't on the market yet (in January; the first one came out in April of 2000).

Technology is still advancing exponentially, and it might be moving so fast now that its sheer speed makes the specifics too blurry to notice as they scream past us in the media to be replaced by the next thing and the next and the next before we got our heads wrapped around the last new thing. This thread and the one about Chaos are closely related.

I would bet everything I have that in a hundred years people will be hunting and gathering again, and looking back on our time as Dark Ages v2.0. Or maybe "Lite Ages v1.0" (all the reactionary ignorance of a Dark Age but with lots of pretty, blinky lights). I can make such a bet because I consider it to be the most-likely outcome by far and in any case if I'm wrong (which I hope I am) then I'll be dead long before then, so good luck collecting.

• Myc and coorsmikey like this

#11 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

Yeah i know what you mean by exponential, its crazy what is out there.  I guess what I was getting at is that it's just hard to perceive it all. But if you sat down and made a list like your did above with some nice illustrations. It makes you go whoa yeah, holy shit that was just ten years ago

Every time i look up boston dynamics a shiver a little bit

[Direct Link]

And yeah as far as as going back to basics. Its has to be an eventuality, that or extinction. The ability of the human race to turn on a dime is amazing. Anything can happen

Edited by flashingrooster, 06 January 2020 - 07:37 PM.

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

I'm annoyed that they're spending so much time developing autonomous robots.

I just want an Iron Man-style exoskeleton suit, even if it's a lot bulkier than the movie version.

It'd be a lot cheaper than an AI-based robot, and I'd MUCH rather carry around a ton of stuff, jump to the roof of a second-story building, run as fast as a car on the highway (etc.) than watch some damn robot do it. Some of us actually like to engage with physical reality. Granted, it's fewer every year so the market is shrinking fast, but still...

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

I just want an Iron Man-style exoskeleton suit, even if it's a lot bulkier than the movie version.

I heard just last night that the exoskeleton suits being made today have the basic purpose of learning the jobs their wearers are doing, so as to replace the workers completely. 

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

The movie Sleep Dealer from Mexican Director Alex Rivera is genius, and covers the most-likely future where automation and slave labor meet. It's not a film that could have been made in the U.S., or by a mainstream Hollywood Director.

The trailer:

[Direct Link]

And that's not even going into the films brilliant satire of the world of drone strikes where a pilot is ordered to hit the rebel leader in a village and when the pilot zooms in it's his brother and his home village. Oh the moral dilemmas...

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

I hope Netflix has it on DVD in English.

• TVCasualty likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:54 PM

I hope Netflix has it on DVD in English.

That's where I found it first.

• Alder Logs likes this

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

It's next in our cue.  I share DVDs here in no-stream-land with my neighbor.  

• TVCasualty likes this

#18 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

It's an amazon prime show, not sure if you guy's can watch it or not. It is probably my favorite sci fi stand alone episode. Think black mirror or the outer limits type of show

[Direct Link]

Edited by flashingrooster, 08 January 2020 - 08:35 PM.

#19 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

That sleep dealer clip made me think of this movie, its a scary take on new technologies and integration

[Direct Link]

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

I think I could miss that one.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!