Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

once white jars recently turning purple hughe?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkkon

darkkon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

https://imgur.com/a/JOBgdgQ

heres a link to what it looks like, is this okay to use or should i throw this out? been sitting for like 3 months in jar a lot of them turned this color. wondering if its a bruising ?

anyone ever encounter this?

temps are like 65 to 70 in a dark area

never had this problem before, and have similar jars done around same time that dont have it. this started about 2 months after they were sitting

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,625 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

heres a link to what it looks like, is this okay to use or should i throw this out? been sitting for like 3 months in jar a lot of them turned this color. wondering if its a bruising ?

never had this problem before, and have similar jars done around same time that dont have it. this started about 2 months after they were sitting

did it take 3 months to colonize? it looks maybe bacterial, especially if it took that long. it does not look like bruising but hard  to say. I would spawn them and see how it goes. If it's bacterial, then I wouldn't expect it to run the sub very well, if it's just bruising it should take off like lightning, as it is thirsty and hungry.

#3 darkkon

darkkon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

did it take 3 months to colonize? it looks maybe bacterial, especially if it took that long. it does not look like bruising but hard  to say. I would spawn them and see how it goes. If it's bacterial, then I wouldn't expect it to run the sub very well, if it's just bruising it should take off like lightning, as it is thirsty and hungry.

it colonized within 2 weeks or less. like i mentioned, extremely healthy. this happened 2 months after jar sat.

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,625 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

ah, i see.. could be bruising, grain been sucked dry. spawn it! 

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

I'm kind of hesitant to go check out off-site photos but I took a peek at that one and it's toast, unfortunately.

Pinkish/purplish hues are not a good sign, among others. Does it stink? Or is there a faint 'off' odor near the air filter? (do NOT just open it and take a big sniff, especially since it looks contaminated to me)

I would PC that jar for at least an hour at 15 psi before dumping and cleaning it, or else just toss the whole thing as-is, unopened.

The main thing you want to avoid is opening it when it's still full of live contamination, and if you PC it to clean it out be sure to clean it as soon as it cools off enough to do so and you can expect what you clean out of it to get real funky again real fast, so dispose of it accordingly.

No spawn jar should ever sit around for three months. Even if it was still good I'd be very hesitant to use one that's sat around so long. My spawn is usually colonized and ready for applying to a bulk sub within 5 days of inoculation and I apply it as soon as it's ready. The best results come from keeping the mycelium running, which is why Stamets used it for the title of his last book (it really does like to 'run' and we optimize results by making sure it has "space" to continue running (so just as it finishes colonizing the grain you want to spawn it to bulk to maintain its biological momentum, which does seem to be a real thing in this context).

#6 psilyguy808

psilyguy808

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 43 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:45 AM

I'm kind of hesitant to go check out off-site photos but I took a peek at that one and it's toast, unfortunately.

Pinkish/purplish hues are not a good sign, among others. Does it stink? Or is there a faint 'off' odor near the air filter? (do NOT just open it and take a big sniff, especially since it looks contaminated to me)

I would PC that jar for at least an hour at 15 psi before dumping and cleaning it, or else just toss the whole thing as-is, unopened.

The main thing you want to avoid is opening it when it's still full of live contamination, and if you PC it to clean it out be sure to clean it as soon as it cools off enough to do so and you can expect what you clean out of it to get real funky again real fast, so dispose of it accordingly.

No spawn jar should ever sit around for three months. Even if it was still good I'd be very hesitant to use one that's sat around so long. My spawn is usually colonized and ready for applying to a bulk sub within 5 days of inoculation and I apply it as soon as it's ready. The best results come from keeping the mycelium running, which is why Stamets used it for the title of his last book (it really does like to 'run' and we optimize results by making sure it has "space" to continue running (so just as it finishes colonizing the grain you want to spawn it to bulk to maintain its biological momentum, which does seem to be a real thing in this context).

I wonder, if there is a colonized jar that just finished but you cant cant use it for a few days still, would it be helpful to shake it to keep the mycelium running rather than letting it sit a few days fully colonized?

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

That’s a tricky one to answer, at least for someone like me who tends to overthink stuff. Letting a jar over-incubate will make the grain so hard to break up that you might need to use a (really clean) fork.

While just sitting there, it consumes nutrients maintaining itself that could be better spent on expanding into a bulk substrate. Also, when it runs out of new food to colonize it’s growth slows things down to prepare for fruiting, so expanding it after that point forces it to shift back to vegetative growth and there’s going to be some lag time as it adjusts (but it will, and it’s not too big a deal other than slowing down your time-to-harvest).

Shaking it just to keep the grains separated probably forces the mycelium to stay in its vegetative stage and would keep the grain easy to break apart for spawning BUT you also risk giving any lurking contaminants a chance to emerge and take over the jar when it’s shaken too much.
It’s a real fine line sometimes, so I try to make sure I only shake jars or mix up bags twice; once at inoculation (and I shake/mix the HELL out of them at that point; do it twice as long as you feel is adequate) and once the night before spawning to bulk.

Doing it the night before spawning serves three purposes; it breaks up the grain for spawning while also allowing it to recover for 10-12 hours so it “runs” into the bulk sub faster, and it can also save you from using spawn that had just enough contamination present to mess up your bulk sub but not enough to be detectable during the spawn run. That kind of contamination often reveals itself by the morning after a shake, sparing you from a contaminated bulk sub.

I’ll still have to add a third shake/mix occasionally if colonization is too spotty/uneven (where it looks like it’ll take too long to grow into all the grain). But that’s almost always because I didn’t mix/shake things up enough the first time. That said, most people will have to mix/shake a third time since they are probably not using as much inoculant as I do, and anyone using agar wedges will definitely have to shake more.  In those cases one good thorough shake when they’re at ~30% colonization should get them where they need to be.

IMO one of the important points to focus on in the planning phases of a grow should be on ensuring we don’t have to make up for timing or scheduling issues (inasmuch as it’s possible; shit happens, of course). I’m baffled by folks who start grows a couple of weeks before going on a vacation that had been planned before they began their grow and then ask about how to put their grow into hibernation or whatever. Sometimes we’re just not in a position to grow and need to wait until we are. I’m in that position right now, as it turns out.

TL;DR:

With all that said (I told you I overthink stuff, lol), it’s fine to leave a jar sitting for a couple of days, but if it’s already fully colonized I wouldn’t shake it up until the night before I intended to use it. Just use a fork to bust it up if you need to.

Edited by TVCasualty, 05 January 2020 - 10:18 AM.
how do I always find typos instantly after posting no matter how much I proofread first?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!