Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

BRF jars reached 110 degrees ( Heat Mat)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Deadheadfred81

Deadheadfred81

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:17 PM

Hi everyone this is only my 2nd run of cubes and I had 4 jars that were 100% fully colonized so I transferred those to my fruiting chamber while the others jars finish colonizing. When I transferred them into the chamber is when I turned on the heat mat, and from that time till when I looked at them was at most one hour and the temp got up to 110 degrees! I quickly removed them and cooled them down within 10 min. My question is do you think I may have fried my cakes? I can’t imagine they were in that temperature for more than 15-20 minutes before I quickly remove them.

#2 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

From what I've heard/read temperatures above 105 will kill mycelium.  I learned this the hard way by ordering cultures by mail in August and found the temperatures of the contents to be 118F.  Those cultures were fried.  But (back to your problem) and on the bright side it takes time for heat to transfer to the center of BRF cake so what's inside may still be alive.  I suggest that you just watch them for a couple of weeks to see if they recover.

Edited by Thacan, 03 January 2020 - 08:26 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#3 Deadheadfred81

Deadheadfred81

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

Thacan thank you. That’s what I’m hoping for so I’m definitely moving forward and just hoping for the best. Oh well I guess shit happens hope for the best and if not, you live and you learn lol.

Edited by Deadheadfred81, 03 January 2020 - 08:34 PM.

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,757 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

i agree with Thacan, 110 for an hour probably barely warmed the glass up. you should be fine  :biggrin:

• Moonless likes this

#5 Deadheadfred81

Deadheadfred81

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:04 PM

Yeah I’m hoping I caught it in time. Thank you!
  • wharfrat likes this

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,112 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Archive material! Another good reason not to use heat mats unless you live in the arctic. Post this on the site that recommended that you needed additional heat?

• Juthro, wharfrat and Deadheadfred81 like this

#7 Deadheadfred81

Deadheadfred81

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

Well unfortunately it’s borderline arctic where I live so I have to use a heat source this time of year.

#8 Deadheadfred81

Deadheadfred81

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:11 PM

It typically doesn’t get above 10 degrees this time of year here and I’m working with what I have. I only have space in my basement which is concrete floors and no ambient heat source. So I grow in a tent with aquarium heat mats. Last round went great but that was in our summer. Hoping to build a heated room eventually but not in the budget at the moment. But i’ll File that in the old archive. ✌️

#9 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:15 PM

A heat mat gets really hot as you know.  One way to mitigate the temperature spikes is to add something with thermal mass to the mat like small barbell weights ( I use 2.5 lb weights) and then put a cardboard box or styrofoam cooler on top of the weights.  That's pretty much what I use as my small incubator.  Water also has a large thermal mass so you could change it up and use a tote inside a tote with water and put that on the heat mat; just be careful when mixing water with electrically powered equipment.  Best of luck.

• Juthro likes this

#10 Deadheadfred81

Deadheadfred81

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

Thacan thank you again! That’s definitely helpful information that I will use moving forward.

#11 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

You also might want to look into getting a temperature controller for the heat mat. The company "Inkbird" sells ones that are easy to use and not very expensive.

• Moonless likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!