• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 the42nd

the42nd

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

This is my first grow, and I've been following PF Tek protocol. My jars are almost fully colonized, but over the past week I've noticed some light yellow/brown discoloration, and I'd love to hear any feedback about whether this is contamination or simply metabolites.

Looking at other posts, my jars seem slightly more similar to pics of metabolites, but that is an uneducated guess.

Here's a pic of one of the jars with more noticeable discoloration.

IMG_20200104_104215.jpg

Another thing to note is that I used around 20ccs of spore's in distilled water spread among 6 half pint jars. I went a little overboard and this may added a bit too much moisture to the jars.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

• wharfrat likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

Nice photo! Great job capturing clear detail.

As for the discoloration..........

That jar is worth keeping an eye on. Segregate it from other projects until we're sure what's going on.

The color doesn't seem right to me. It won't hurt anything to separate it from the others and see what happens with more time.

Add another post to this thread and we can move this out to the Magic forum for more views and commentary.

Edited by Myc, 04 January 2020 - 03:09 PM.

• wharfrat and the42nd like this

#3 the42nd

the42nd

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback Myc. That picture makes it look slightly darker than it seems to my eyesight, but it is darker than the other jars.

Here's a picture that's representative of the other 5 jars.

IMG_20200104_135130.jpg

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,210 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:56 PM

Welcome!

I approved your third post so you're now able to post anywhere and I moved this thread to the Fungi section so it will get more views/feedback.

The jar in the first post is bad. PC it to kill the contamination before cleaning it out.

The jar in the third post looks like it's probably okay, but also that it's been colonizing for an unusually long time. When was it inoculated?

FWIW, if I'm fruiting cakes they're usually ready to birth and put in the FC 10-14 days after inoculation.

• Myc, wharfrat and peacefrog like this

#5 the42nd

the42nd

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:06 PM

Thanks TVCasualty!

That's a bummer to hear that jar is bad, but I appreciate the feedback

I inoculated almost exactly 3 weeks ago. The PF Tek protocol I've been following, advised waiting for the bottom of the jars to be covered in mycelium before moving to the fruiting chamber. Based on your feedback I'll re-evaluate and think about fruiting some of the jars now.

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,210 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

They definitely do need to be fully colonized before you birth them. If there are still uncolonized spots visible (not counting the top layer of dry verm) then birthing at that point will be very likely to make them go bad.

If they take a very long time to get to that point then there's an issue somewhere. With no contamination present, slow colonization usually means a too-dry mix, too-low temp, or a very dilute spore solution (or some combo of those factors).

• peacefrog likes this

#7 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,825 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

Could also be die off. What are your temps?

#8 the42nd

the42nd

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

Originally I had it a few degrees above 80, then after noticing some discoloration I dropped it to 78.

#9 the42nd

the42nd

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

I just wanted to give a final update. I separated the one jar that had more discoloration than the others, but tried to give it a chance to live on. However, over a month later it looked exactly the same and even after giving it some indirect light it never showed any pinning or signs of further growth, so I tossed it. The other 5 jars continued to progress and I am on to the 2nd flush, which is looking good.

Edited by the42nd, 08 February 2020 - 07:42 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!