• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Hi, I've been in the process of fruiting my pf tek cakes, and am 6/7 days in (I did one a day earlier). Still no signs of pins, but they seem healthy.

I was just wondering, since I am fruiting them in bags, I have noticed that the perlite is getting swamped with water (As in a pool of water has become noticeable underneath it and if I squeeze it, it's pretty clear it is going up into the perlite quite a bit but isn't getting soaked up.)

I haven't misted it at all for 24 hours now to see if it'll soak up into the perlite and it has remained humid, but there is still a lot of water in there, and I'm getting a little concerned that much of it sitting inside might attract contamination. Also due to what I presume is the water making it uneven, one of the cakes is starting to tilt.

Would it hurt to take out the cakes, pour the perlite into a strainer to get the excess out and put it back in, or is it best just to do minimal misting (like once a day when I fan if that) until enough of it evaporates away?

• wharfrat likes this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,491 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

yeah, your concerns are warranted. I would strain the water out, you never want water pooling up. The perlite will only absorb so much water, it does not expand like peat or coir, or vermiculite for that matter, it only holds water in tiny pores in the perlite. 

I would just mist once a day, and it wont hurt anything to move the cakes out and strain  :biggrin:

• MindHunter likes this

#3 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:45 PM

Done, thank you for the advice.

I think I was misting a tad too much, I'll reduce it to the one a day rather than 5-6  :tongue:

• wharfrat and MindHunter like this

#4 MindHunter

MindHunter

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

Since fruiting in bags, there should obvious signs of condensation on the insides of the bags, if so, don't mist at that time, if not , mist lightly, alot really depends on your temps and surroundings, sounds as if ya might need more FAE

#5 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

I use to fruit in ziplock bags and had the same issue up until I poked some pin sized holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage.

Or you can just drain out the excess water like you were planning.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!