• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:58 PM

The last thread was getting a little old. 
Not only that but the title didn't fit the current stage!

anyways, check out the progress.

81983223_1448850418605539_90088903208043

81582736_713520412513984_803645799640386With these two, I've got 1.5Lb of PES Hawaiian spawn and 3.5 Lb of sub ready to go! for the spawn and the first 3 lb i mixed them thoroughly, then I used the last half lb of sub to cover the top with a thin layer. 

81365072_2610750868962578_30460741630484

82141589_565680270697502_514118120456480

With these rotisserie tubs, I did a little experimenting.  In each one is .5lb PF Classic spawn and .5lb sub(I should have read up some on whether to layer or mix and in this case i should have layered both)

As you can see one is mixed and one is layered. I hope they both turn out well. 

I'm about to set up a little grow tent that was originally made for plants but hasnt been used so im gonna use it for this! 

I figure it should be the most sanitary place that i can get the best airflow. Im gonna put a little fan in it and a tiny heater to keep it at 70 degrees. 

It has been a busy day. 

Thank you all for the advice and help that brought me to this point!

EDIT: Do y'all think i should add some moisture when it comes to fruiting time? Or do you think it will hold moisture?

EDIT 2: ive got 3 of the holes on the tubs taped up sealed and one of the holes taped with some very airy paper tape, so airy i could blow through it. I did that with the tubs because they're made to be watertight. 

With the rotissery containers i just went ahead and taped them all the way up without any extra holes.

Edited by TabbyBoy, 07 January 2020 - 08:03 PM.

• Maddmyco likes this

#2 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

Edit 1 response) if your substrate was at fill capacity when you added your spawn,
Then you should be fine until moving to fruiting. If you're trying to dial in your tub just keep an eye on your moisture content by paying attention to the walls of your container. If anything you may need to fan instead mist, but you should be fine. If you use a casing layer I would say you'd have less concern for misting since the casing layer traps moisture and heat while blocking any potential contamination from entering your grow.

Edit 2 response) During colonization you want less FA in order to increase CO2 build up. It's only after transitioning to fruiting that you'd want to increase FAE.

Through my experience I've found mixing my sub/spawn works for me. It provides more points of innoculation. My first half dozen tubs were layered, so it may just come down to preference because both methods work.

I'm still new myself, but am glad to offer my two cents. Good luck with your grow.
  • PJammer24 and TabbyBoy like this

#3 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Thanks so much!
Do you think I should tape up the holes I put an airflow on?
I really appreciate your two cents. It's a million bucks to me
  • roc likes this

#4 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:18 AM

You've spawned to bulk, so similar to colonizing jars you need to let the spawn colonize again before fruiting. My logic is that my jars have little FAE, so my tubs have little FAE until my tub surface looks nice and blanketed. I think until you've let the mycelium build its own defense from outside contaminants that I'd use polyfil or micropore tape to protect it. I've not used a grow tent yet, so you may be a bit safer from contaminants.

One thing I've learned about growing is that you can make it as easy or as hard as you'd like. Obe of the most important aspect is sterilization technique. When it's clean you can observe your grown and adjust on the fly once you learn what to look for. Like with your question about taping off your FAE holes. Protect your sub and go for it. Leave them open try them covered. Figuring it out is half the beauty of this hobby.
  • TabbyBoy likes this

#5 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Thanks so much!

Tape them up.

Going to be tough keeping moisture content up with those large holes.

• PJammer24 and TabbyBoy like this

#6 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:51 AM

Thanks so much!

Tape them up.
Going to be tough keeping moisture content up with those large holes.
I've got 3 of them taped up with duct tape and 1 of them taped with paper tape.
Should I tape the paper tape side with duct?

#7 Maddmyco

Maddmyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

I had an epic fail trying to use papertowers. I'll not be doing that again. As an alternate, I've seen coffee filters used.
  • TabbyBoy likes this

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

The last thread was getting a little old. 
Not only that but the title didn't fit the current stage!

anyways, check out the progress.

&&0){for(var>)throw>

With these two, I've got 1.5Lb of PES Hawaiian spawn and 3.5 Lb of sub ready to go! for the spawn and the first 3 lb i mixed them thoroughly, then I used the last half lb of sub to cover the top with a thin layer. 

With these rotisserie tubs, I did a little experimenting.  In each one is .5lb PF Classic spawn and .5lb sub(I should have read up some on whether to layer or mix and in this case i should have layered both)

As you can see one is mixed and one is layered. I hope they both turn out well. 

I'm about to set up a little grow tent that was originally made for plants but hasnt been used so im gonna use it for this! 

I figure it should be the most sanitary place that i can get the best airflow. Im gonna put a little fan in it and a tiny heater to keep it at 70 degrees. 

It has been a busy day. 

Thank you all for the advice and help that brought me to this point!

EDIT: Do y'all think i should add some moisture when it comes to fruiting time? Or do you think it will hold moisture?

EDIT 2: ive got 3 of the holes on the tubs taped up sealed and one of the holes taped with some very airy paper tape, so airy i could blow through it. I did that with the tubs because they're made to be watertight. 

With the rotissery containers i just went ahead and taped them all the way up without any extra holes.

What type of grain did you use as spawn? It almost looks like sunflower seeds...

If the room stays above 65F, I wouldn't even worry about the heater. I prefer to fruit in sub 70F conditions... The growth is a little slower but the fruits turn out to be a little more robust and they are denser.

The substrate looked to be a little dry in the photos to me but something like that is difficult to tell... If it is at field capacity when you spawn, then there is typically enough water content for first flush with minimal misting. If the containers are wide open or you are providing a lot of FAE, you may want to mist the sides occasionally... I am assuming you have a clear plastic lid on the containers like when the chicken was purchased... If you are using those lids, you should be able to mist sparingly..

I don't like layering in any situation... When I layer they take longer to colonize... When you mix the grain throughout, there are more inoculation points and faster colonization times...

The tent may be more sanitary but if your substrate is properly pasteurized and you have healthy grain spawn mixed at a proper ratio, there is little risk of contamination... It should colonize more quickly than a competitor can get a foothold... Once fully colonized, contamination is an afterthought until later flushes when the mycelium loses its virility. When the myc isn't as healthy, competitors can begin to find cracks in its armor...

• TabbyBoy likes this

#9 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

You've spawned to bulk, so similar to colonizing jars you need to let the spawn colonize again before fruiting. My logic is that my jars have little FAE, so my tubs have little FAE until my tub surface looks nice and blanketed. I think until you've let the mycelium build its own defense from outside contaminants that I'd use polyfil or micropore tape to protect it. I've not used a grow tent yet, so you may be a bit safer from contaminants.

One thing I've learned about growing is that you can make it as easy or as hard as you'd like. Obe of the most important aspect is sterilization technique. When it's clean you can observe your grown and adjust on the fly once you learn what to look for. Like with your question about taping off your FAE holes. Protect your sub and go for it. Leave them open try them covered. Figuring it out is half the beauty of this hobby.

I mentioned this in my previous post but if you have your substrate mix properly pasteurized and it is a field capacity, there is very little contamination risk if you are using healthy spawn at the suggested ratio... Some experienced growers have their grows open to the air with no polyfil or micropore tape from the get...

The only time you really need to be sterile is when doing agar work and preparing jars... Once you are mixing your spawn and substrate, it is no longer a sterile procedure.... Plenty of spores get into your substrate mix when you are mixing it with the spawn... They are already in there... Its a mater of pasteurizing properly which provides additional defenses against potential contamination and making sure your spawn run is faster than the germination of contaminate spores...

• TabbyBoy and Maddmyco like this

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

What type of grain did you use as spawn? It almost looks like sunflower seeds...

Looks like rye to me.. :huh:

The tub does look a bit light/dry - but that could easily be a flash/lighting issue.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 09 January 2020 - 10:10 AM.

• TabbyBoy likes this

#11 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

The tub does look a bit light/dry - but that could easily be a flash/lighting issue.

I mentioned this in my previous post but if you have your substrate mix properly pasteurized and it is a field capacity, there is very little contamination risk if you are using healthy spawn at the suggested ratio... Some experienced growers have their grows open to the air with no polyfil or micropore tape from the get...

The only time you really need to be sterile is when doing agar work and preparing jars... Once you are mixing your spawn and substrate, it is no longer a sterile procedure.... Plenty of spores get into your substrate mix when you are mixing it with the spawn... They are already in there... Its a mater of pasteurizing properly which provides additional defenses against potential contamination and making sure your spawn run is faster than the germination of contaminate spores...

Rutger, i was thinking the same thing when mixing it. The sub i have has been sitting for a good month or so now. I know that it hasnt gone bad but i imagine some of them could have lost their moisture in the time.

PJ, the reason ive been so scared about contam is not only did my last invitro bag have some undetctable contam, one of the rye bags had contam.

The other reason i need the tent is when these babies start needing to fruit theyre not gonna have any airflow in the wicker chest i have them in. With the tent i can have a controlled environmet and a clean one.

• PJammer24 likes this

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

my rye berries are not this large

• TabbyBoy and RutgerHauer like this

#13 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

my rye berries are not this large
They're rye.
I get them pre made in bags.

#14 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

Haha PJ, it is called perspective.. It is a small container.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 09 January 2020 - 04:15 PM.

• TabbyBoy likes this

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

Haha PJ, it is called perspective.. It is a small container.

Im sticking with my rye berries are simply less endowed...

• TabbyBoy likes this

#16 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

Here's a peek at my PES Hawaiian tub!778f4ec8e957061d8bd318a1aef2dfef.jpg
  • roc, wharfrat and Nicked like this

#17 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,000 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:29 AM

Looking good!

• TabbyBoy likes this

#18 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:05 PM

I think in about a week there should be a good colonization.
At first I was a little worried because it hasnt gotten much farther than what I posted this last time.
But when I think about it, the big tubs are probably gonna take a second and the tiny ones should take up to 2 weeks anyways, for which it's only been a week and 2 days

Edited by TabbyBoy, 16 January 2020 - 06:08 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!