• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

This is what my Blue Honey looks like. I cut up some Fresh mushrooms and I also added Black Pepper, Ginger, Cinnamon, Lions Mane, Sage to Real Raw Honey. This Blue Honey is going to Powerful.img.jpg

• dial8 likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,177 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

Chug half that jar an start typing? Lets see how long it takes to finish your post?

• wilspeak likes this

#3 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:15 AM

Chug half that jar an start typing? Lets see how long it takes to finish your post?

It would be very hard to eat half that jar at one time, its very sweet ,spicy and powerful. 

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,177 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:16 AM

Well if your still typing I know you didn’t chug it lol
  • wilspeak likes this

#5 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:23 AM

If you put in fresh mushrooms it will ferment. You will get a mead of some sorts. Good luck with that.

• coorsmikey and wilspeak like this

#6 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:47 PM

If you put in fresh mushrooms it will ferment. You will get a mead of some sorts. Good luck with that.

I put the magic Honey in the refrigerator to keep it fresh, plus the spices (Black Pepper, Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, Loins Mane, Sage) will help preserve it.  If it does turn to mead it will be a Good one. 

• RutgerHauer likes this

#7 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:18 PM

I always imagined blue honey to be blue.....just saying.

Powdered p.cubensis heated and stirred in a pot with raw honey and poured threw a strainer to filter out any large particles.
  • wilspeak likes this

#8 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

I always imagined blue honey to be blue.....just saying.

Powdered p.cubensis heated and stirred in a pot with raw honey and poured threw a strainer to filter out any large particles.

Could you post a picture of it for us?

• wilspeak likes this

#9 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

It already looks like it is fermenting. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, there are air bubbles around the fresh mushrooms

• coorsmikey, wilspeak and RutgerHauer like this

#10 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:40 AM

It already looks like it is fermenting. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, there are air bubbles around the fresh mushrooms

Fresh mushrooms seems an odd choice. I think decomposition is probably a more realistic term than fermentation. Proceed with caution!

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,078 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

I'd be really hesitant to consume that.

Start small, if at all.

• wilspeak likes this

#12 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:52 PM

I put the magic Honey in the refrigerator to keep it Cold and Fresh, plus the added  spices (Black Pepper, Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, Loins Mane, Sage) will help preserve it.  It will not rot if kept Cold. As a matter of fact. I taste and smell it every few days and it's doing just fine. 

Also Placing undried (living) mushroomsinside of Honey which comes from (Living) Beings called Honey Bees   is a WONDERFUL and BLESSED Idea. 

#13 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:53 PM

I'd be really hesitant to consume that.

Start small, if at all.

I put the magic Honey in the refrigerator to keep it Cold and Fresh, plus the added  spices (Black Pepper, Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, Loins Mane, Sage) will help preserve it.  It will not rot if kept Cold. As a matter of fact. I taste and smell it every few days and it's doing just fine. 

Also Placing undried (living) mushroomsinside of Honey which comes from (Living) Beings called Honey Bees   is a WONDERFUL and BLESSED Idea.  Its tastes great and its fresh. 

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,078 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

Refrigeration does not stop microbial growth, it only slows it down.

And I'm a big fan of storing fungi in honey, but it only acts as a preservative if it's not diluted to the degree that it begins to either ferment or decompose.

While a diluted honey solution might grow something benign at first, so long as it remains diluted enough to support microbial growth then it will be at risk of growing something else that might not be so harmless. So whatever happens to be growing in it now might not be what starts growing in it later, and every time it's opened it's being inoculated with whatever is floating around.

It's your stash so it's ultimately your call. But be sure to warn anyone you offer it to about exactly what it is since like many people I would gladly accept an offer of mushroom honey, but I'd assume it was dry fungi preserved in honey; I would definitely not want to consume a honey mix prepared in the manner described.

Incidentally, it is strongly advised to never give honey to infants because it harbors C. botulinum endospores. So honey already comes pre-inoculated with one of the most potent and dangerous pathogens around, and providing it with conditions where it could potentially start to grow seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

• August West and wilspeak like this

#15 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Refrigeration does not stop microbial growth, it only slows it down.

And I'm a big fan of storing fungi in honey, but it only acts as a preservative if it's not diluted to the degree that it begins to either ferment or decompose.

While a diluted honey solution might grow something benign at first, so long as it remains diluted enough to support microbial growth then it will be at risk of growing something else that might not be so harmless. So whatever happens to be growing in it now might not be what starts growing in it later, and every time it's opened it's being inoculated with whatever is floating around.

It's your stash so it's ultimately your call. But be sure to warn anyone you offer it to about exactly what it is since like many people I would gladly accept an offer of mushroom honey, but I'd assume it was dry fungi preserved in honey; I would definitely not want to consume a honey mix prepared in the manner described.

Incidentally, it is strongly advised to never give honey to infants because it harbors C. botulinum endospores. So honey already comes pre-inoculated with one of the most potent and dangerous pathogens around, and providing it with conditions where it could potentially start to grow seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

Thank You. I will slowly refill the jar with raw honey and dried mushrooms  as I eat the honey that is in the jar. When I took that picture, I had just put the mushrooms in the Honey and shook the jar up . So Yes the jar had some air bubbles in it. But I eat some of that Blue Honey almost every other day and that Honey  has no bubbles in it now , nor does it smell bad and has never gotten me sick ... in fact, it's very healthy to eat. I also add fresh honey to the jar as I eat the mushrooms. Thank You

• TVCasualty likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,078 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, shaking it up would definitely put a lot of air into the honey. The bubbles could also partly be from trapped air inside the mushrooms working it's way out of them (at least at first; if bubbles start forming later then its probably not just air escaping). It would be really interesting to take samples and check them under a microscope, and maybe culture some on some agar to see what grows, if anything.

Something to watch out for would be the jar pressurizing while it sits around. I'd definitely toss it if that ever happened since that's a warning sign for canned food that went bad from botulism.

• wilspeak likes this

#17 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, shaking it up would definitely put a lot of air into the honey. The bubbles could also partly be from trapped air inside the mushrooms working it's way out of them (at least at first; if bubbles start forming later then its probably not just air escaping). It would be really interesting to take samples and check them under a microscope, and maybe culture some on some agar to see what grows, if anything.

Something to watch out for would be the jar pressurizing while it sits around. I'd definitely toss it if that ever happened since that's a warning sign for canned food that went bad from botulism.

Thank You for telling . I ate a teaspoon of the honey yesterday and today and I have yet to become sick, plus like I mentioned the jar is kept Cold.  I also added some freash honey to the jar to balance out the watered down honey. 

#18 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

I am thinking about adding some sort of strong Rum to the Blue Honey to help combat any possible botulism. 

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,177 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 11:39 PM

Feeling like it may not be as blessed as you thought? Honey, Rum, and cubes sound yummy! Is it not as Wonderful and Living as you imagined? Do you not have anymore mush and honey to start a new batch? If you are worried about getting sick you could heat it to a temp that would kill the nasties. I thought you said you were taking a spoonful a day? How did that work out? I would have guessed that would work like a vaccine for the nasties and the goodies.

What are you feelings on Kombucha or SCOBY's? There is quite a market for that.

Edited by coorsmikey, 30 January 2020 - 11:42 PM.

• wilspeak likes this

#20 wilspeak

wilspeak

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

Feeling like it may not be as blessed as you thought? Honey, Rum, and cubes sound yummy! Is it not as Wonderful and Living as you imagined? Do you not have anymore mush and honey to start a new batch? If you are worried about getting sick you could heat it to a temp that would kill the nasties. I thought you said you were taking a spoonful a day? How did that work out? I would have guessed that would work like a vaccine for the nasties and the goodies.

What are you feelings on Kombucha or SCOBY's? There is quite a market for that.

Honey, Rum, and cubes sound yummy!  It would be, the Honey is Delicious as it is. the summer before last I soaked a bunch of Mushrooms in some Rum-151 (unrefrigerated) and all it did was make the mushrooms taste like they had Heated Rum inside of them. ....  Is it not as Wonderful and Living as you imagined?  Yes , The Honey is still good and is wonderful to try. I use Raw Honey with spices. .......  If you are worried about getting sick you could heat it to a temp that would kill the nasties.  Now to be honest, I havent really thought about getting sick, But with a lot of people mentioning  Botulism I thought that maybe a little bit of strong rum mixed in the Honey wouldnt hurt......  I thought you said you were taking a spoonful a day? I tdont eat a spoonful everyday , I eat some blue Honey about 2-3 times a week, I dont want my mushroom  tolerance to get to high......  How did that work out? Whether or not I add a little Rum or Not , the Honey still stands Strong and is still good to eat........   What are you feelings on Kombucha or SCOBY's?  I have drank Kombucha and I liked it , but I never had the chance to try Scoby. Question  >>> What do You think about me adding some Rum to my Blue Honey?

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!