• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

I've been fruiting my first PF Tek cakes, and all looking healthy. Fanning, regularly etc.

Two of my cakes have started proper pinning... but it is only one pin on the entire cake.

Is it common for one to form before others, or should they all start forming at about the same time?

I'm glad I've successfully got any mushies at all to be honest (I thought it would go belly up in a much earlier stage), but I was wondering what the general process was with pin forming, and should I prepare something differently on my next lot.

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,810 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

If you are growing from multi-spore then you are dealing with a huge number of genetic possibilities. One may begin to fruit earlier than others... Some may not fruit at all...

• sandman and Moonless like this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 345 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

Sometimes a colony performs lack luster and its difficult to narrow down whats going on. Mushrooms, like children have the variables: genetics and experience, nature and nurture which influence how they'll grow up and engender themselves into their society. This idea is key when dealing with these problems, if you have only side pins or pins only appearing on the bottom of a tray then you know that the environment of the side and bottom is more conducive to fruit growth than the top of the sub. When you notice patterns like that then you can easily fix the environment to have them pin on the top ect.

Since this is the very beginning you need to wait it out untill you notice a pattern. Keep doing what the tek you are following says to do and don't stop learning.

#4 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

You don't actually need to FAN them, you can just open the lid of the chamber for a few minutes. Too much direct airflow can dry them out, hopefully you're not out here waving the lid at the cakes.

Don't mist them directly either. It's better to mist in the air so that the fine mist can settle on the cakes. You don't wanna blast it with water because it can mat the mycelium and stunt fruiting.

• coorsmikey, PJammer24 and CatsAndBats like this

#5 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:46 AM

Really? I've always heard that you should fan them more after pinning? Their hydration is fine even with evaporation in mind, I'll stick to 4 mist/fans a day as they won't be drying out even if I do for this batch and see how it goes. It's all a learning curve at this point, or a test run if you will.

Some more seem to be coming up on the tops now through the thicker layer of verm, so there is definitely more to come.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,810 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

Really? I've always heard that you should fan them more after pinning? Their hydration is fine even with evaporation in mind, I'll stick to 4 mist/fans a day as they won't be drying out even if I do for this batch and see how it goes. It's all a learning curve at this point, or a test run if you will.

Some more seem to be coming up on the tops now through the thicker layer of verm, so there is definitely more to come.

If you get an air exchange that provides fresh O2 and removes the humid air from the tub, they will have the O2 needed to supprot healthy growth and evaporation will occur due to the fresh air not being completely saturated and humid... I do little or no fanning when I am growing in bags and I fan sparingly when I am doing tubs... I think I fan less than a lot of people and my results are good... If you fan less you have to mist less and I try to keep things as hands off as possible... Set and forget is a lot more effective than too much TLC...

• sandman likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!