• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,168 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 AM

I agree with both of you Swayambhu and MsBehavin420: there are other things in jobs that can make it worth while, friendly co-workers is such a thing I will be looking for.

@MissBehavin: Why the information on a loan? Perhaps to start up a business? No way I'm getting a loan for any reason. I just got out of debts. There is such a thing in my country where people are registered as having been in debt, they cannot apply for loans for at least five years after they have payed off the debt. I am on such a list, for good reasons.

Your story about bartending gave me an idea - I have been dreaming about playing pool at a bar very often these last few months. Going by a pool bar tomorrow. :wink:

sorry... I thought you were stateside. That information pretty much is still relevant though, no matter where you live. Anyone can buy property here. Even if you don't live here.

#42 MsBehavin420

MsBehavin420

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,168 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Going by a pool bar tomorrow. :wink:

Stay down on your shots and follow through.

https://youtu.be/cdVRvYnqj6w

A childhood favorite of mine. Donald in mathmagic land. The whole thing is probably a half hour and available on YouTube. This is the relevant to conversation part.. Both on being Nerdy and pool

How do you tag someone here
@flashingrooster
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#43 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,058 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 02:21 PM

The problem I have with that is, each time the left side of the ball (imagining the vector as a center line) hits the rail, it adds right English.  So, does not a correction vector have to be considered for each time a ball hits the rails at an angle and induces lateral spin affecting the next carom? 

• RutgerHauer likes this

#44 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 817 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 04:41 PM

You can see the player in the video plays with loads of English to get to the right following angles. It is mainly just practice and later on intuition, I don't think he calculates very much except for using the diamond system (then he probably doesn't use much English because that defeats the system). The diamond system doesn't work on every table precisely, sometimes you have to play with a little bit of running English to make the correction, the pros check the table for those things before they play on it. Sometimes the dimensions are a bit different from table to table or the cushions are softer or harder/less or more bouncy.

Every time the ball hits a cushion at an angle it sinks into the cushion and therefore changes the angle of reflection - so you have to calculate that in as well, but that again is intuition at a certain point. You get a feel for what correction you have to make. You can correct with the angle you go in, English (funny how Americans call it English, while English call it spin) but also by pace. If you hit a cushion very hard at an acute angle but not straight, it can even jump at a backwards angle because of this effect. (Alder: This might be what corrects your English conundrum in regards to using the diamond system, but I am not sure)

I personally think snooker is the most interesting billiards game, there are no diamonds on that table, but the great players still make use of complex angles to get out of snookers up to 4 cushion plays and the great players figure out stuff that amazes me. I think visualization is a good skill to develop there - but after so much practise you know standard moves to get out of trouble - the greatest tactical players know more moves and are able to think of new ones - and can use spin on complex angles they couldn't otherwise make.

The whole tactical part of snooker I find fascinating and the big table makes it so that tiny errors in choice or play can make for very surprising and unforeseen results. I think it is kind of like playing chess, playing percentages, picking the right safety shot that makes it hard for the opponent to have a straight shot, and repeat that back and forth until someone cues badly or makes the wrong choice.

I miss that stuff in pool, it is more of a scoring game than snooker. Still there is another side to pool because of the smaller table, bigger balls and thicker cloth that makes it hard to clear a table with balls all spread out over the table. Things can get real tight and it is easy to loose control of the cue ball. It is a skillful game in its own way. I prefer 9 ball.

So I really want to play snooker, but there aren't any snooker tables around. Let's start with pool.

I wasn't going to the bar to play pool by the way, but to apply for a job. It didn't work out to go today but made a call and an appointment for Friday. Should be fun to work a few evenings a week and maybe play some pool there once or twice a week.

Edited by RutgerHauer, Yesterday, 05:20 PM.

#45 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,058 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 12:08 AM

All I ever played was eight ball.  If I got to finish with the eight sitting next to a corner pocket and with the cue ball sitting halfway right, a friend showed me a five cushion shot to sink it that was a great way to show off.  I never played billiards or snooker.  The sharks liked nine ball.  I have played that a little.  I quit going into bars about thirty years ago, so that was the end of my time.  I really loved the game, but would never play for money.  That would ruin the game for me.  

• RutgerHauer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!