• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

I have an unmodified monotub going now, spawned 14 days ago. Seems to have stalled now, been a few days. Spawn ratio wasnt what I had hope for, 1:4/5. Sub is coir/verm +... Initially I jus thought I would have to wait longer for full colonization but it really seems like it isnt gonna progress further. First monotub/bulk grow so I have no experience here.

Should I just start to fan the tub and hope it starts fruiting? Thanks everyone!

IMG_8698.JPG

#2 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:43 PM

That is what my tub looks like right now, colonizing much slower than I am used to... If you opened up the tub to take that picture then there has been some FAE. That is a pretty low spawn ratio, but I would maybe fan once then put the lid back on and wait a couple days and see if anything changes. What strain are you working with?

#3 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:56 AM

This strain is Blue Magnolia; multispore to WBS.

I've opened it a couple times now, first time was on day 10 and its been about 4 days since and It doesnt seem to be going any further now. 

#4 Insearchof1075

Insearchof1075

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

I had one do the same thing. I broke it up, put a casing layer on it and put into fruiting conditions. It actually fruited some nice fruits but I also had some fruit on the bottom side. Maybe put a casing layer on it without breaking up the mycelium like I did.

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

How'd you prep the sub?

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:08 PM

Sometimes a tub will switch from veg mode to fruiting mode. When is does it can appear like it stalled. I am betting a print from that tub for one of mine that's what it's doing. Pins in a few days.

• adrian118 and RutgerHauer like this

#7 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:14 PM

How'd you prep the sub?

Damion5050's Elementary Coir Tek except I used a cooler instead of a bucket.

I had less spawn so I didnt use all of the sub, was about a quart or more of sub leftover.

The spawn and substrate were mixed below a final casing layer.

@coorsmikey, you'll be the first to receive any prints if this thing comes through!

Edited by adrian118, 11 January 2020 - 09:19 PM.

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,723 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

the subs a bit low spawn to sub ratio, half as many inoculation points, they all have to merge with the rest this will take twice as long to colonize vs. say 1:2 ratio. sub thickness will also play a role, anything over 3" and it's a waiting game, it still has the middle to colonize

• MsBehavin420 and adrian118 like this

#9 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

Little update on this. Seems like it is still colonizing although VERY slow. Was able to detect this glacial growth by taking pictures every couple days at the same angle and flipping through them lol... Spawn ratio was way too low, sub was too deep and I probably shouldnt have added any casing. Its a waiting game as wharfrat put it.

I've got 6 new quarts of White Teacher spawn jus about ready to go. I wont be making these mistakes again I hope! lol

• wharfrat and MsBehavin420 like this

#10 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

TONS of knots a the first primordia! (...or pins? whats the difference)

IMG_8745.JPG IMG_8744.JPG

Edited by adrian118, 16 January 2020 - 01:11 PM.

• Stencill86 likes this

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,114 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

Ha I can't wait to try this Blue mag myself :meditate:  Looking good Adrian!

• adrian118 and macgyver like this

#12 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

That tub is looking sweet now! Must of been just a little less spawn in that corner, that happens to me sometimes if I make tubs impatiently, or if I don’t scrape out the corners good enough while mixing. Glad it turned around for ya tho, very nice.

#13 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Well, its been 5 days since I noticed the first pin come in and it hasnt really developed a ton. Would have expected it to be finishing up by now. There are now tons of small black/brown heads everywhere. Some are pretty big. The myc has really filled and thickened. Starting to see some yellowing also.  It smells fine. I think looks good too but Im not sure because its my first monotub and Im used to cakes rolled in verm so things look a lot different to me.

Hows it look to you guys? Should I be concerned? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Pin on 1-16

IMG_8745.JPG

Same pin today

IMG_8753.JPG

Rest of the tub

IMG_8749.JPG IMG_8751.JPG IMG_8752.JPG

#14 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

The myc looks good it just looks like it’s taking forever to finish colonizing, sitting at like 95%, probably just went to fruit a little too early. The yellow is usually fine tho, just “myc piss”. Good luck!
  • adrian118 likes this

#15 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the reassurance Stencill86! I sure hope it turns out well, if not Ill have at least had a great learning experience.

#16 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 198 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:35 PM

No problem! I hope it turns out well too! It looks to me like it might have been a little too moist to begin with, or maybe sealed too tight for colonization. I stopped stacking my tubs during colonization for this reason, it tightens the lid and kind of over condensates and messes with the field capacity. Hope this helps!

#17 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

So it looks like Im finally getting healthy/normal looking pins coming in now!

What are the dark brown blob (red arrows) things that came up before these normal pins? They have no stem forming that I can see. Aborts of some kind?

IMG_8762.jpg IMG_8763.jpg

#18 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

I think the tub has some kind of infection, I'd wager bacteria. It's practically always bacteria. The way those pins are opening up so small and look like peeling and what not. The slow uneven growth. The thick white mycelium. It's all a reaction to infection. Not all bacteria stink like bigfoots dick. Sometimes you gottta go by the other signs. Nothing you can do but let it do it's thing. Would be a bad candidate for prints.

Edited by sandman, 24 January 2020 - 01:31 PM.

• PJammer24 and adrian118 like this

#19 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

Hard to tell from the pictures, but could those blobs be mushroom caps?

It looks like you are getting a lot of aborts, which could be because of environmental conditions, or as sandman said, some type of infection. Does the surface look too dry/too wet? Are you giving adequate FAE?

• adrian118 likes this

#20 adrian118

adrian118

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

I think it was pretty wet for a while. I was holding off on fanning hoping it would finish colonizing, but that probably kept it too wet and without enough fae.

@sandman, I still have some of this syringe left so I could try again. Would whatever possible infection or bacteria be present there as well or is this something that would have made its way in after inoculation? Ill be sure to go smaller on the next grow with this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!